Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Luke and the Academy?

Author Topic: Luke and the Academy?
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly which Academy did he plan on joining? A rebel alliance surely didn't have the resources or time for formal military training did it?
Did he plan to join the Empiral Academy?
But he was excited to hear C-3PO mention invovlement with the rebels, as if he denounced the Empire.

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's likely that Luke figured he might jump ship and join the Rebellion after getting Imperial training. I know that the deleted Biggs scene in Episode IV included Biggs telling Luke he was going to defect to the Alliance after being posted to the Rand Ecliptic (I have no clue of the accuracy to this spelling), and this scene came before Luke ever met Threepio.
IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the radio play, the academy he wanted to join was a civilian naval academy, for the SW equivalent of the merchant marine. Biggs, however, mentioned that most of the graduates of that academy usually ended up in the military anyway.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I always assumed. . . and more to the point, Luke didn't seem to have any plans beyond becoming a civilian pilot, like his father (or so he thought). I haven't read Lucas' novelization in years, but I think he expressed surprise at the very idea of Biggs joining the Rebellion. Largely out of lethargy and political indifference, I'd guess, than loyalty to the Empire. Luke is from a frontier world which isn't troubled too much by the important affairs of the Galaxy, after all. . .

------------------
"I am greater than the stars for I know that they are up there and they do not know that I am down here." - William Temple

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.