Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » The droids ($$)

Author Topic: The droids ($$)
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In A New Hope, Owen buys C3P0 and R2D2, whom he's obviously never seen before. And in AOTC, I guess maybe 20 years earlier, both of the droids were at his place. Kind of hard to believe that he'd forget them.

And why does Yoda walk with a cane and appear so nimble? He can obviously move like a monkey if he needs to. Probably just takes a lot of effort, I suppose.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's remember that C3PO changed appearance between then and then. Also, how many droids do you think Owen has seen in his time on Tatooine? Lots. Besides, its very possible that "C-3PO" is a common name for a droid.

And he barely saw R2 in AoTC ... R2 only came out of the Naboo ship for a few minutes, and only on one occasion.

It's no big deal.

As for Yoda ... it either requires a lot of energy to move like a cat on crack, or he wants people to think he CAN'T move fast. Underestimating Yoda is a good point in his favor if it comes to a fight.

[ May 26, 2002, 13:30: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the same thing until I watched ANH again. It turns out that Owen never heard the names of the two droids he bought. And the name "C-3PO" would have been the only distinguishing feature he could have recognized, since 3PO changed color, and there are plenty of protocol droids in that configuration.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Good point ...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tell me you've started with the whole ^ thing. It's relatively obvious that you're acknowledging TSN's post. It's just silly. Like a baby in a stroller that the mother let go of, and is careening into the path of a giant clown. A GIANT CLOWN!
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yoda uses his size to his advantage, he appears so small and so old that an enemy could easily under estimate him.

Remember in the ESB Luke writes Yoda off pretty quickly after judging him by his first impression of a silly alien.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

^
^You can be a serious dick, UM.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, did you ever kind of notice that ALL THE DROIDS LOOK ALIKE???

A protocal droid is a protocal droid, an R2 unit is an R2 unit. They're all uniform. For Christ's sake, Threepio wasn't even the same COLOR in AOTC as he will be in ANH! How can you expect Owen to recognize them???

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

WERUreo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that in the very first scene of ANH, there is a droid that looks EXACTLY like 3PO walking right behind him and R2... I'm sure Owen has seen many droids in the time between AOTC and ANH.... Not to mention that 3PO probably came along with the deal when his father bought Shmi, so for all we knows, he never knew that the protocol droid his father bought was even called C3PO...
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There are two protocal droids in Empire, too -- a white one in the Hoth Command Center, and a silver one on Bespin. I don't think they're all that uncommon ... it's very reasonable to assume Owen has seen (if not owned) quite a few of them ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The droid that greets Obi Wan and Qui Gon to the Trade Federation Command Ship in Ep1 is a 3PO type aswell.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Activates Inner Geek*

The whole thing with Yoda is good fun. Watching him tear Count Dracula a new one made the movie for me.

His little Kung Fu pose before becoming Connor McCloud was sweet. Crouching Yoda, Hidden Jedi, indeed.

Although I can fully appreciate the snickering I heard all around at that part too. Mumbles of scorn: "A muppet's gonna throw down, baby. Dis ought to be good."

Ah, shit. It was pretty funny looking.

WERUreo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was this really irritating guy behind me that kept yelling "Yoda's a pimp!" right in my ear... Very annoying, especially since that guy once took my girlfriend on a date a long time ago...
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps