Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » How fast is it? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How fast is it?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just Alec Guiness being a pro: I doubt that Lucas' script or directing had anything to with with that magic moment of real character.
You'll see the same gem acting from Peter Cushing during the death star conference table scene.

How cool would it have been to have cast Peter Cushing as the Emporer instead of Tarkin?
Chilly cool, that's what.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although shooting the prequels would be difficult.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but he's still outshine Hayden Christensen by a light year.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Ian McDiarmid doesn't?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really should have got the UK Flareites together to go see Christensen on stage during his "acting" stint in the West End, and we could all have thrown things. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
And Ian McDiarmid doesn't?

Of course he does, but so do most of the Ewoks.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't hyperspace another demension or plane of travel with mass shadows where systems and other large objects (Black holes) are located? Or is that just BS? That would explain for the fact that it is either extremely difficult or impossible to track a ship coming into a system until it returns to realspace.

I can't remember where i read that. Possibly a Sourcebook, which still may be BS.

In any case I believe that hyperspace travel is much faster than Warp travel. The problem with Star Wars is that alot of the things possible in the universe can't be explained by our science, unlike Star Trek which generally seems more probable scientifically.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for transporters/replicators, alloy composition, radiation-types, communication, alien cultures, weapons, sensors, military protocols and warp speed I totally agree with you.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here is my conclusion to this. The inhabitants of the Star Wars Galaxy has been there a VERY long time. We have proof of that since i remember something about how the Rebublic was around for thousands of years. Combine the years so everyone has space travel and you pretty much have a lot of years of exploration around the galaxy. But those are my 2 cents around how they have traveled across the galaxy.

Blair

P.S. as for Sullust, can anyone say faulty intel?
*cough*weaponsofmassdestruction*cough* [Wink]

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I agree tat the Republic was around for thousands of years (or mabye several hundred "standard years").
Trek is a much younger galaxy by spacefaring standards: we've almost never encounterd races in Trek with that kind of time in apace (Borg, The Dominion and the horribly stupid Voth being the obvious exceptions).
Races that old in Trek tend to evolve into disembodied voices or bright special effects....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just assume that Hyperspace travel is relatively slow, and that the Star Wars galaxy is really really small, with minute distances between systems (hence the short time for the MF to get to Bespin without hyperdrive).
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that lack of hyperdrive = slower than lightspeed, the distance would have to be even less than minute. Going by onscreen evidence, Anoat would seem to be less than one light day away from Hoth, and probably much, much less.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the Falcon piggybacked to Anoat on that ISD or the actual trip to Bespin took months (which is somewhat supported by Luke leaping ahead in his training so much during the course of the movie) rather than days.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they can't have piggybacked becuase the whole crux was that the Empire always jettisons their garbage before jumping to hyperspace, AM I RITE GUYS?!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiet, you.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps