Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » How fast is it? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How fast is it?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they jettison their garbage, but the Falcon was hooked on of its own accord. They purposefully released with the rest of the garbage to be less noticable.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Unless the Falcon piggybacked to Anoat on that ISD or the actual trip to Bespin took months (which is somewhat supported by Luke leaping ahead in his training so much during the course of the movie) rather than days.

This is the most likely senario:
The falcon creeped along for at least several weeks to a few months to get to Bespin.
Bespin was astronomically extremely close to Anoat: probably one system over with the Falcon cruising along as close to lightspeed as they could get.
Luke trained with Yoda all that time 24/7 and his innate force abilities allowed him to learn more than the gradual pace of the Jedi from Ep I-II.

Of course, this also means Boba Fett trailed along behind the Falcon for a loooong damn time.
Hope he had some good movies to watch or something on Slave One. [Big Grin]

West End games speculated that the Falcon (indeed all hyperdrive capable ships) had a emergency hyperdrive that allowed for slightly faster than lightspeed travel under extreme conditions.
So the Falcon really could have gotten to Bespin within their lifetimes. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't they show the ship stretching away, as if attaining FTL velocities????

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No....not in the original version at least.
Gotta check the SE.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the original trilogy, we always got starlines when a hero ship (or ships) jumped to hyperspace on screen. They didn't show just one effect without the other.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
But don't they show the ship stretching away, as if attaining FTL velocities????

Maybe the ship doesn't strech because it enters the realm of hyperspace before ataining FTL velocity, maybe a ship enters hyperspace just before breaking the light barrier

I like to think of hyperspace as another dimension or plane of existence tied directly to realspace, that would explain for the blue tunnel that ships travel through.

BTW: I went to starwars.com, and that website said that hyperspace is another dimension as well. I dunno if I trust this website tho, might just be the website operator BSing.

here's the link:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/hyperdrive/

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the SE also doesn't show the ship "stretching" away.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
West End games speculated that the Falcon (indeed all hyperdrive capable ships) had a emergency hyperdrive that allowed for slightly faster than lightspeed travel under extreme conditions.

Except, y'know, if they had an emergency hyperdrive, why didn't they use it to escape the star destroyers?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, thanks....

Of course, that doesn't mean that they didn't go FTL after clearing the trash a bit...

Oh, and to answer the question, faster than I can run....

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
No, the SE also doesn't show the ship "stretching" away.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Except, y'know, if they had an emergency hyperdrive, why didn't they use it to escape the star destroyers?
Mabye it's not something usually installed on the Falcon.
They were sure installing or seriously repairing something after they first got away and into the asteroid field: they'd already said the hyperdrive was shot IIRC.
...and it's not like the falcon is "stock" or anything: I could easily see Solo scrapping his backup drive to repair the main one when parts and cash were scarce. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then they'd have had to have flown to Bespin without hyperdrive.

THINK MAN!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for starters, the SW galaxy is not a carbon copy of the Milky Way. People with more time on their hands than I have deduced it down to the Pisces Dwarf Galaxy (or whatever it's called -- I can't find it now), to account for the ET's being able to visit Earth and also be in the Senate, and to account for the nearby spiral galaxy seen at the end of ESB, and to account for the short travel times and densely-packed star systems, and so on.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
But then they'd have had to have flown to Bespin without hyperdrive.

THINK MAN!

You misunderstand: I'm saying they had all the needed parts rebuild/create the emergency drive but they had to take everything they could salvage from the burnt out hyperdrive to do it.
Like in Junkyard Wars when they build an engine from a couple of wrecked cars that would never run on their own.
The falcon's probably full of things that either dont run or need just a few repairs....but like any old car, you have to spend money on the vital repairs first.
Like driving around on your spare tire instead of getting a new one. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
People with more time on their hands than I have deduced it down to the Pisces Dwarf Galaxy (or whatever it's called -- I can't find it now), to account for the ET's being able to visit Earth and also be in the Senate
People with more time on their hands is the polite way to put it. People too crazy to be in a Hunter S. Thompson book would be more accurate.
Aya
Member # 1148

- posted      Profile for Aya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's put it this way, a capital ship like an ISD could go from one end of the SW galaxy to the other in a few hours or days.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

That narrows it down greatly....

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps