Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » How fast is it? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How fast is it?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've never heard how fast hyperspace is? It's fast enough for you... Old man.
japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Han Solo was full of it:

"She's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."

A parsec is a measure of distance, not speed.

Obi Wan knew it too. Check out the look he gives Han after he says it.

My friends call any look you give someone when you know they are BSing you a "kessel run look."

We are a sad bunch. [Frown]

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed you are.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, not much more sad than the average Flarite.... But still worse....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Trilogy of Han Solo books that came out a few years back, I can't remembe rthe name of it, I think it was written by A.C Crispin or something to that effect explained the 12 parsec thing. It said that Han flew so close to the black holes of the Maw, that it bend space and time, making the distance shorter. Hence 12 parsecs.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it The Crystal Planet or something like that? I think the BS idea is better, but at least they tried.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... I read that one. The explanation was rather tortured. I like the BS thing better too.

Sob... at least Han is interesting about that... don't take that away from me George Lucas... like the awful Greedo thing. Wah!

[Wink]

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the parsec explanation doesn't make much sense... Even if he plotted shorter route, it only proves that he's good with plotting course. It doesn't say anything about vessel speed.

And Greedo did not shoot first. It was a flare reflected from the weather baloon passing through the ionized gases expelled from the Tatoo 1 [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we all know it was Wedge that shot first, duh! (sic)
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It means he plotted a course that most ships couldn't follow, because they'd be too slow to escape the gravity well(s) of the black hole cluster. To get away from Kessel, around the Maw, and into open space -- and away from any blockade vessels -- normally takes, say, 18 parsecs. But the Falcon was fast enough for Han to cut closer to the Maw and trim some distance off the run. What isn't mentioned is that he was desperately running from people shooting at him. He thought he was dead.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wedge Antillies is the shizit!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well... My friends and I have had a long-running joke that Wedge will die of a sudden heart attack and the SW universe will spontaneously implode.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is The One. He's nobody's bitch.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps