Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » STAR WARS EPISODES VII, XIII and IX ? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODES VII, XIII and IX ?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Hamill also did the William Shatner thing ages before William Shatner: Get extremely prissy and anal, then realise that you've made a shit load of money and just take the piss out of yourself. He always comes across as great and affiable in interviews.

And, alough it's not "proper acting" (stupid Hollywood snobs), his voice work really is very good. And yes, Return of the Joker is great.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Yeah, no one could possibly replace Mayhew under all that fur costume.

I know that was sarcastic, but apparently, Mayhew became ill during Empire, and they used a double for a couple of days. Kershner ended up throwing out all the footage, saying that the body language was completely wrong.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man...that's strange.
I'd like to see that footage though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And, alough it's not "proper acting" (stupid Hollywood snobs), his voice work really is very good. And yes, Return of the Joker is great.

Isn't it amazing that these "individuals" who are supposed to be so "Enlightened, Accepting, Etc." openly display such a base quality as prejudice all in the name of "Art"

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
I've seen Mark Hammel in half-a-dozen low budget Sci-Fi movies. Most recently he was in Jay and Silent Bob strike back.

Cock-Knocker: Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

Name a trilogy as culturally influential and with as large a cast as Star Wars of which more than half the members DIDN'T vanish into obscurity, and you MIGHT have a point.

Godfather Trilogy for one. Die Hard Trilogy (not really culturally influential but it did influence action movies significantly and inspired tons of rip-offs). The Lord of the Rings actors are already getting parts in other significant movies like Billy Boyd in "Master and Commander", Orlando Bloom in "Pirates of the Carribean", and Viggo Mortenson in "Hidalgo". The Indiana Jones Trilogy actors went on to other big roles.

Not a trilogy but the two Predator movies produced three politicians. Jesse Ventura as Governor of Minnesota, Arnold Schwartzeneggar as Governor of California (or Kal-eee-forn-ya as he says it), and Ruben Blades as President of Panama. And they all went on to further roles as well.

The Aliens movies produced a lot of work for the actors as did the Superman movies (sorry but it's hard to find a lot of significant trilogies anymore).

So I would say that the Star Wars actors for the most part didn't exploit there "It Factor" (I hate that term but it fits) at the time and turn it into other prominant roles as actors from other huge franchises have.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viggo Mortenson had a career before LOTR.
He was amazing as Lucifer in The Prophecy.
His 5 minutes of dialogue makes the movie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget his role as the total pussy who couldn't make up his mind in "Crimson Tide". "To nuke or not to nuke..."

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old Grandma who has no head and perhaps has Alzheimer's can name almost every character from the first Star Wars trilogy.

She probably can't with the Godfather trilogy.

"The Don Guy and that Hoo-ah Guy" notwithstanding.

Cultural points to SW like a Scott Stevens hipcheck to a yawning Paul Kariya.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

She has no head?

huh.

She must be fun at Halloween.

I've never bothered with Crimson Tide or The Godfather.
Just not my intrests, mind you.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Crimson Tide, but then I'll watch just about anything with Gene Hackman in it.

If it makes you feel better both Star Trek and Silver Surfer get a mention in it. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Cool.
Mr. Hackman's wife occasionally visits my work (though I dont know why exactly- they own a yacht here) and the man himself came in twice when I was off.
Someone should have called me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I've never bothered with Crimson Tide or The Godfather.
Just not my intrests, mind you.

Blasphemy. Don Abbadon sleeps with the fishes tonight. [Wink]

You've got to watch Godfather 1 & 2 but avoid 3 as if it were The Plague.

Crimson Tide is a good movie as well. Any time you see two great actors like Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington go head to head it's good stuff.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

My Mom's a fan of The Godfather...mabye it's just the idea of watching a loooong movie that she likes that bothers me.

I dig some mob movies though: Miller's Crossing, Men of Respect, Things to do in Denver when you're Dead, King of New York....those are all classics in my book.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I would say that the Star Wars actors for the most part didn't exploit there "It Factor" at the time and turn it into other prominant roles as actors from other huge franchises have.

OK, time for some mental gymnastics.

Of the Die Hard flicks, who have exploited their It Factor, again? Samuel Jackson was pretty much everywhere after Pulp Fiction, Rickman went back further, Irons had long theater roots, and most of Willis' work has been of the straight-to-video type. Next...

Of the Indiana Jones franchise, who have exploited their It Factor, again? Ford was already on the Star Wars bandwagon, Rhys-Davies was an acclaimed stage man like Irons, and Connery also went back further. Next...

Of the Alien quartet, who have exploited their It Factor, again? Sigourney Weaver hasn't done much more than Fisher, Hurt, believe it or not, went back further, and Biehn and Henriksen have kept their profiles below sea level in recent years. Next...

Of the Superman movies, who have exploited their It Factor, again? Certainly not Reeve (even before he was paralyzed), and Hackman and Stamp went, guess what, back further. Next...

Of the Predator popcorners... erh, those shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Star Wars, and that's irrespective of your political persuasion. B)

Now, I'll grant you The Godfather, because it had heavyweights like Brando and Pacino (Brando... heavyweights... get it? GET IT?), but, really, only the Lord of the Rings trilogy (which stands on the shoulders of veterans McKellen, Lee, and Rhys-Davies) is anywhere near Star Wars in terms of influence and ensemble cast, and it's too early to tell what it will do for the carreers of Woods & co.

So, in the words of another Aliens actor who has since undeservedly slid from the silver screen: GAME OVER MAN!!

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

Name a trilogy as culturally influential and with as large a cast as Star Wars of which more than half the members DIDN'T vanish into obscurity, and you MIGHT have a point.

I don't see anything in that challenge saying that the actors had to maintain the same quality in there subsequent body of work (which is a very subjective discussion anyway), merely that they didn't vanish into obscurity, of which I have sited numerous examples of actors in huge trilogies (or quadrilogies et. al.) who didn't vanish afterwards.

I think you called game over a tad too early there Corporal Hudson (ie. Bill Paxton whose certainly not vanished into obscurity and whose career has gotten better in both quality and quantity and has branched into directing with "Frailty"), it's only a rain delay. [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.