Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » STAR WARS EPISODES VII, XIII and IX ? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODES VII, XIII and IX ?
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of the Alien quartet, who have exploited their It Factor, again? Sigourney Weaver hasn't done much more than Fisher, Hurt, believe it or not, went back further, and Biehn and Henriksen have kept their profiles below sea level in recent years. Next...
Ahem, that's not really true.

Sigourney Weaver did quite a few successful films, some of which are also critically acclaimed:

Heartbreakers
Galaxy Quest
The Ice Storm
Jeffrey
1492: Conquest of Paradise
Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey
Ghostbusters I and II

Even Michael Biehn managed to slip into some great movies:

The Abyss
Terminator 2 (granted, his scenes were cut for the theatrical release, but they ARE on the DVD [Big Grin] )
The Rock
The Art of War
And...Clockstoppers, directed by Jonathan Frakes [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently Weaver appeared in Holes, and unlike some of the other cast (*COUGH!*Jon Voight*COUGH!*) she got her characterization from the novel spot-on.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...most of Willis' work has been of the straight-to-video type."

Pulp Fiction, Twelve Monkeys, The Fifth Element, Armageddon, The Sixth Sense, The Whole Nine Yards, Unbreakable, Bandits, Hart's War... I'm not saying they're all good movies, but they're hardly "straight-to-video". I've even seen most of them.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, and I think all of those would certainly qualify for the original premise of the actor not "vanishing into obscurity" after appearing in a huge trilogy or franchise.

Some actors even move on to other huge franchises:

Alan Rickman went from Die Hard to Harry Potter.

Cristopher Lee is in the Star Wars Prequels and Lord of the Rings simultaneously. Not to mention appearing in the longest running screen franchise of all time, James Bond, in "The Man with the Golden Gun".

Patrick Stewart in the Trek movies and X-Men and Ian McKellan in X-Men and Lord of the Rings.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twats.

Corporal Hudson...

That's PRIVATE Hudson! Philistine.

Bill Paxton whose certainly not vanished into obscurity and whose career has gotten better in both quality and quantity and has branched into directing with "Frailty"

I didn't say he vanished, I said he slid from the silver screen. Off the top of my head, Paxton had only five prominent roles after Aliens: Titanic (which I disqualify for being a sappy love story that sucked from here to the next dimension), U-571 (which I disqualify for grossly distorting historical facts), Vertical Limit (which was a so-so action flick), Apollo 13 (which I disqualify for exhibiting overt patriotism), and True Lies (which at least had him don some of his Hudson idiosyncrasies). So there. B)

I don't see anything in that challenge saying that the actors had to maintain the same quality in there subsequent body of work (which is a very subjective discussion anyway), merely that they didn't vanish into obscurity, of which I have sited numerous examples of actors in huge trilogies (or quadrilogies et. al.) who didn't vanish afterwards.

If you don't maintain the same quality in your work, you're either kicked out of Hollywood or you're exiled to B-movie land. That's obscure enough for me. B)

Sigourney Weaver did quite a few successful films...

Galaxy Quest was a niche (but hilarious) comedy, Heartbreakers another light comedy, Jeffrey idem dito (though seeing Stewart as flamboyant queer was worth the entry fee alone), and Conquest of Paradise an overblown drama that mucked up history and whose only saving grace was Vangelis' soundtrack. But, yes, Weaver's a good character actress, I won't deny that.

Even Michael Biehn managed to slip into some great movies...

The Rock and The Art of War were hardly what I'd call "great movies" (the fact that I like mindless action notwithstanding), Terminator II doesn't count because he was in it for less than two minutes, and Clockstoppers was a kiddy family film. You can do better. B)

I think all of those would certainly qualify for the original premise of the actor not "vanishing into obscurity" after appearing in a huge trilogy or franchise...

But my original challenge was to name a trilogy as culturally influential and with as large a cast as Star Wars of which more than half the members DIDN'T vanish into obscurity. You should know, you quoted it twice. B)

Now, I already made an exception for Rickman, who (and I'm going to risk my neck here) would have gotten where he is without Die Hard on his resume, presumably. That also goes for Lee and McKellen, who were both powerhouse actors years before they were cast as Saruman/Dooku and Gandalf/Magneto, and I don't have an inkling of doubt that they will be remembered for their lifetime achievements rather than their individual LotR/SW roles.

SOOO... again you are beaten. It is useless to resist. Don't make me destroy you. B)

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

That also goes for Lee and McKellen, who were both powerhouse actors years before they were cast as Saruman/Dooku and Gandalf/Magneto, and I don't have an inkling of doubt that they will be remembered for their lifetime achievements rather than their individual LotR/SW roles.

Like Sir Alec Guinness was?

=)

Marian

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well...

Shit.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All too easy...

=)

Marian

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Apollo 13 (which I disqualify for exhibiting overt patriotism)"

WTF?

Y'know, Cartman, there is a big difference between saying an actor vanished into obscurity and saying that you personally didn't like the movies they went on to do...

Cartman
Member # 256

Yes, there is. And? I thought it was blisteringly obvious that I was only stating MY opinion of Apollo 13 and parrying the notion that Paxton's work had risen in quality since Aliens. If you don't share it, good for you, but the fact remains that Paxton had a part in it, and it wasn't his best (which, for the record, is an opinion again). I'm NOT saying EVERY actor whose performances I don't like vanished into obscurity (which, when it comes down to it, is subjective as hell too), I'm saying that, unless he can...

quote:
name a trilogy as culturally influential and with as large a cast as Star Wars of which more than half the members DIDN'T vanish into obscurity
...WizArtist doesn't have a point when he argues that an actor's sheet of Hollywood credits is also a gauge of his or her talent. That's how this bloody discussion began, anyway, with me trying to dispel that myth with a clumsy trilogy contest. Then double-oh-seven over here named a handful of franchises and blabbered something about It Factors, and I countered that, save for Lord of the Rings and MAYBE The Godfather, none of them met the standards I set, and that he didn't touch upon the OTHER half of the cast of Indiana Jones, or the OTHER half of the cast of Predator, or the OTHER half of the cast of Aliens, or the OTHER half of the cast of Superman, so I still couldn't rubber-stamp his selections. Were those actors LESS talented because THEY didn't go on to do movies of the caliber of Apollo 13 or *shudder* Titanic while Paxton et all did? I don't think so.

Now stop falling over yourselves, dammit.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Jeffrey idem dito (though seeing Stewart as flamboyant queer was worth the entry fee alone)

Although thanks to Frasier, we can watch that for free now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not eactly what I was saying. I have never said that lack of work = lack of talent. I know I have seen many opportunities go to lesser talents because they were either willing to prostitute themselves or slick their way into jobs that they had no business being in. I have even had my own artwork "typecast" if you will. "Oh, this guy does such and such get him." Same goes with most actors. "I need a cool/weird guy for my script....get Steve Buscemi...yeah" How many chances will someone get to expand their range if all anyone thinks is "Oh, yeah...Jedi-guy" or "Starship-guy" or "Andromeda-babe"?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm issuing a challenge...

Name an actor who was in both Star Wars and Star Trek.

Clive Revill - Was the voice of the Emporer in "The Empire Strikes Back" and played Sir Guy of Gisborn in TNG "Q-Pid"

Wrong! He only did the voice of the Emporer in Empire Strikes Back, he wasn't "in" the movie. You lose sucka!

But you just asked for people who were featured in both franchises. So technically that's correct.

But "Q-Pid" was such an stupid premise to begin with that I reject that answer totally. Haha, I win!

But that's not what you asked for.

Silence insolent dog! I won, quit trying to deny it.

Hey, let's quit arguing and play Ping Pong instead. Best 2 out of 3 wins.

No, I meant best 3 out of 5.

5 out of 7? [Razz]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Mark Hamill and Kate Mulgrew were in Batman: The Animated Series.

That's the best I can do. But since Batman: TAS is awesome, it should be allowed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Omega:
Mark Hamill's biggest roles since Star Wars of which I am aware were three Wing Commander games and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". I thought he played a passible Blair, but I never saw "Jay and Silent Bob".

I thought he was good as Blair... [Smile]

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.