Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » The Death Star (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Death Star
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course the real reason why the Emperor had the Death Star built is because he foresaw that it would cause Kenobi, Skywalker and Organa to break ground. [Wink]
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Well, the concept of BDZ is based on the EU, but analysis of TESB's asteroid field would, FYI, indicate absolutely massive firepower on ISDs.

TESB scene is not conclusive enought to convincingly support "absolutely massive firepower", and I heard that calculations that show that kind of firepower are based on assumptions that ignore inconvienient rules of physics.

(And, as far as I know, except DBZ and AOTC ICS EU supports much, much lower ISD firepower)

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
I just finished playing Knights of the Old Republic and am neatified by the fact that planets in the Star Wars thigners are always one climate.

I am also the absolute first person to notice, and then subsequently comment on this issue, I believe.

Maybe I will start a web page.

I hope that was sarcasm.

Your kidding right?

It always been obvious...

and got more obvious with the new films

Desert Planet (Tatooine)
Artificial "Planet" (Death Star)
Arctic Planet (Hoth)
TropicalJungle Planet (Dagobar)
Cloud/Atmosphere Planet (Cloudcity planet)
Forest Planet/Moon (Endor)
Grassland Planet (Naboo)
City Planet (Couruscant)
Water Planet (Kamino)
Industrial/Mining Planet (Geonosis)

The cartoon eps have the Mon Calamari living in an ocean planet (i.e. under the water).

What planet would Alderaan have been?

Presumably we will get a lava planet.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Well, the concept of BDZ is based on the EU, but analysis of TESB's asteroid field would, FYI, indicate absolutely massive firepower on ISDs. Thus it's likely they could quickly frag a planet, QED.

-SWC, Ph.D, KBE, 123

According to the dialouge in ANH, the Imperial Starfleet wouldn't have enough power to destroy a planet. At least, not in Han Solo's opinion.

LUKE: What's going on?

HAN: Our position is correct, except...no, Alderaan!

LUKE: What do you mean? Where is it?

HAN: Thats what I'm trying to tell you, kid. It ain't there. It's been
totally blown away.

LUKE: What? How?

Ben moves into the cockpit behind Luke as the ship begins
to settle down.

BEN: Destroyed...by the Empire!

HAN: The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take
a thousand ships with more fire power than I've...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Empire needed something to scare the planets into line... maybe this is how Palpatine promises to restore the Republic from the separatists... and using his 'emergency powers'...

I'm guessing the Jedi eventually learn of Palpatine's plans and Ep III ensues.

I'm also guessing that a test fire was used on Naboo... explaining the lack of mention of Naboo and/or Gungans later on.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because I love splitting hairs, I think a few Star Destroyers could effectively destroy an inhabited world, that is bombard the surface until the crust shatters and the surface gets all Dante's inferno.
On the other hand it probably couldn't do what Han and co were observing in ANH, that is reduce a planet into a cloud rubble, that'd take allot of ordinance.
Not that it matters terribly, Star Wars has always been more fantasy than Sci-Fi.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Otherwise known as, er, "gas giant". Don't get them in reality. Nope.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what the likelihood would be of a gas giant's upper atmosphere being breathable to humans...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the same as having a perfectly habitable moon flying around the galaxy without a planet to orbit.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cloud city wasn't on "cloud planet" any more than the Jetsons were.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Otherwise known as, er, "gas giant". Don't get them in reality. Nope.
Ohhh pthhh!! [Smile]

I just didn't think it was a gas giant as they were able to breath it's atmosphere... what i meant was that it was in the 'air'... straight copy of "The Cloudminers"?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
The cloud city wasn't on "cloud planet" any more than the Jetsons were.

Actually in the Jetsons... what WAS that or WHERE were they living - was it in the upper atmosphere of Earth?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
About the same as having a perfectly habitable moon flying around the galaxy without a planet to orbit.

Add to that the giant asteroid worm with gravity and enough heat and pressure in it's stomach to accomidate humans and those "mynock" things.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jetsons lived on Earth. Their apartment complex was on the top of a giant pole. And, if the weather was bad, the pole would extend until they were up above it.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Everything they did was 'in the air' though... all the buildings and office complexes... did you ever see the ground? Had the Earth been covered entirely with water?

Couldn't the people in the Matrix future have just done that - built above the clouds? [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps