Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » The Death Star (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Death Star
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Cloud/Atmosphere Planet (Cloudcity planet)

Otherwise known as, er, "gas giant". Don't get them in reality. Nope.
Otherwise known, in the SW universe, as "Bespin." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. Whose to say there aren't any Nitrogen /Oxygen based Gas Giants in the universe?

As for the fact that most of the planets seem to be one climate does seem far fetched. I could see why Tatooine with it's 2 suns might be a dustbowl. Or Hoth possibly being quite far from the sun. Maybe chalk it up to laziness on Lucas' part. [Razz]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or symbolism.

(Don't get me wrong, I think it's silly too. But the fact is, Star Wars has always been more fantasy and not really genuine science fiction.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Symbolism? I never looked at it that way.
Tatooine symbolizing Lukes No-where life before meeting Ben. Hoth symbolizing the dark time for the Rebellion. Very Interesting.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Lucas may have talked about it in those Leonard Maltin interviews that preceeded the last VHS versions of the non-SE trilogy. Not sure though.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Symbolism? I never looked at it that way.
Tatooine symbolizing Lukes No-where life before meeting Ben. Hoth symbolizing the dark time for the Rebellion. Very Interesting.

Dagobah symbolizing Luke's slimy wet insecurities.

The smooth lines of Cloud City representing the smooth taste of Colt 45 (billy dee's favorite drink).

The giant worm in the asteroid symbolizing Han wanting to fuck Leia.

It all makes sense now.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endor representing Admrial Ackbar's penchant for small furry creatures [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to at least part of the original question. It is not unheard of to believe that it would take 20 years to build the first DeathStar. Sure they have the plans for it, but having plans and having a working system are two very different things. Based off of EU(I know some of you hate this but stay with me) a prototype was built at the Maw Instillation. This does make sense, you don't just go out and build something that big and complex in the first try. Now this wasn't a complete prototype but one that was to test the super laser. Depending on how long this took and how many other problem they ran into it could have taken 20 years. Once you have built something it is immensely easier to build a second as well as faster.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except the second version was far larger than the first so really, it would've needed a almost entirely new blueprint design.

EU also has the DS being designed by some absent-minded professor type that was, of course, human.
Unlike Episode II.
So much for that idea.

Besides, the EU is notorius for dumbass sounding places like "the Maw Instillation" and planet "Despayre".....
Even Cartoon Network's Clone Wars cartoon has "General Grievous".
Mel Brooks doesnt need to make Spaceballs II: Lucas is making it all by himself.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yeah, like "The Death Star" isn't a dumbass name...

$$$SPOILERS$$$
-
-
-
-
-
General Grievous will be in Episode III. According to rumors, he will be the one the audience "thinks" will become Darth Vader as per Lucas' dumbass attempt to preserve the surprise of TESB when watching all the movies in chronological order. Too bad he can't preserve the Yoda surprise... [Roll Eyes]
-
-
-
-
-
END SPOILERS

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The names just seem like they were intended for a Thundercats episode.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe it's not the Death Star itself that thakes 20 years to assemble, but the tooling and the factories required to make one... plus getting the raw material to construct something that size.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Or growing enough nearsighted but technically skilled Stormtroopers to man such a station.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think Lucas may have talked about it in those Leonard Maltin interviews that preceeded the last VHS versions of the non-SE trilogy."

The transcript of which goes something like: "I did a drab brown planet to underscore Luke's loneliness and longing for a better life, then I did an icy white planet to underscore the Rebels' hopeless struggle against the forces of darkness, and then I did a happy green planet to underscore that happier times were about to arrive for the good guys and also because that was the only color I hadn't used before. Well no actually there were a lot of colors I hadn't used before but I had to reserve those for the future trilogy. Oh, and I did a swamp and a gas planet just for kicks, and the bad guys were all grey and colorless to underscore their evilness. NOTE MY HEAVILY LAYERED SYMBOLISM!!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Too bad he can't preserve the Yoda surprise... [Roll Eyes]
Actually, I think the whole-Yoda thing works really well now, if different to how it originally went. Assuming someone is watching the trilogy in order, they will know Yoda as this wise, arse-kicking little dude, and they'll be shocked when this crazy, mental wierdo turns up. They'll wonder if Yoda's gone mad. Thus, the whole "I can't train him" goes from "OMG, that's Yoda!" to "OMG, he's been fooling us all the time!"

Sort of.

It works.

Anyway, if you want to talk about stupid names, surely the Empire's most famous starship is a good example. Going by labels, they should be more powerful than the Death Star, since they could "destroy" it. Snark.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps