Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Mon Mothma ("Clone Wars" $$$$, Episode III $$$$) (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Mon Mothma ("Clone Wars" $$$$, Episode III $$$$)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well we've had Yoda as Sonic the Hedgehog - why not Mace... it's part of the Jedi training, y'know!"

I'm a little confused. Is it that you don't get the joke, or can you just not let it stand on it's own, without diminishing it?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he almost couldn't have NOT gotten the joke. It being such a SUBTLE dig at himself, I mean.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
when unarmed, Shaak Ti Force-deflects a saber attack, in much the same way that Vader absorbed Han Solo's blaster shots at Bespin. Quite nifty.

Hmmm... I missed that. Must watch Chap 20 again...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I swear to God, if you and I were in the boat with Charon on the river Styx and I had to pay him gold coins to let us off, you'd babble nonsensical behind me to make me lose count.

YOu could always dunk his head into Styx nad he'd forget what he was talking about.....or start all over!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Psyliam, I suggest you watch the beginning of Phantom Menace again, when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escapes the Droidekas, they dash away in a blur from pretty much a stand-still, very nice.

Obi Wan seems to "forget" how to do that trick when he's "rushing" to aid Qui-Gon against Darth Maul.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi Wan was just afraid of getting booted across the room again.

I suppose it's possible that Maul was keeping him from using his Force abilities. Some kind of "holding field" or something. Like, in the Micro Series, we see Anakin hold off a Force attack by Asaaj. Maybe Maul was countering Obi Wan's efforts to use WickedFastSpeed.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must absolutely exist certain passive and active "countermeasures" amongst duelling force-users.
For example, never in Star Wars have a Jedi or Sith Force-pulled his opponent's saber from his hands. Knocked it away, yes, but never pulled it.

Is this because of some unwritten code of conduct or because a Force-user has such strong control over the weapon in his hands that it acts like a "static field" against Force Manipulation?

Now, the Sith can place subtle shrouds of "darkness" upon the Jedi, weakening their ability for prescience and guidance (Palpatine's long-term agenda), and even good Jedi can make crowds lose memory or they can become invisible to their eyes.

Also, in almost all the "Jedi" computer games (-"- Knight, -"- Outcast, -"- Academy) the dark side has the option of developing "Force Drain", hampering a Jedi's abilities momentarily.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'd go along with the idea of a Jedi having a firm hold on his weapon. So much so that it counters an opponent's attempts to use the Force against him in that way.

They're almost certainly using the Force to help control their attack and guide their blows, so they probably have an active connection to their weapon at all times during a fight and would be able to immediately counter any attempt to manipulate it.

If Maul saw Obi Wan coming, he could've countered Obi Wan's attempts to Force Run which would've slowed him down to impulse.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but he was a little busy fighting QG and not falling into that bottomless pit in the process, so Force-muddling OW at the same time would probably have been too much of a strain even on him.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Obi-Wan knew that, even by Force-running, he couldn't make it through that passageway in a single interval of the forcefields' opening and closing. And, if he ran that fast, he wouldn't be able to stop quickly enough to avoid running into one when they closed.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Possibly. That floor *was* pretty slippery.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Qui-gon should have just shoved Maul back into the pit from the other side of the force field. But then, maybe what they were doing the whole time was fighting with their force powers, each trying to shove the other to their deaths.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Lucas already address this several years ago? It's mentioned in the Script Book during the Empire Stikes Back section. Lucas relates how someone asked him about why Vadar didn't throw the furniture at Obi-Wan when they had their fight in Star Wars, and his reply pretty much said what Nim's did...that Obi-Wan's own force powers would have countered any attempts at telekenesis.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There'd have to be some sort of limits to what Force moves they could do - otherwise one could just Force-snap the leg of an opponent.

Also, what WAS the real reason for Qui-Gon getting on his knees? In the Luminara Undali/Baris Offee SP? eps of the Clone Wars we see them get on their knees to concentrate to hold back the roof of the Jedi Temple from caving in.

Was Q-G conserving strength - or was he fighting Maul at that time?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Well we've had Yoda as Sonic the Hedgehog - why not Mace... it's part of the Jedi training, y'know!"

I'm a little confused. Is it that you don't get the joke, or can you just not let it stand on it's own, without diminishing it?

Well the presence of one of these: [Big Grin] in the original reply answers all of your questions, TSN.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps