Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Timeline (Between Episode)

Author Topic: Timeline (Between Episode)
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Can some tell me the years between the episodes. I know between Episode I & Episode II is ten years, what about the rest of them?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Official sources put "Episode I: Phantom Menace" 32 years prior to "Episode IV: A New Hope".

If we put Episode II 10 years later than Ep.I, we need at least 20 years for Luke to grow up (Hamill is 26 at year of filming but Luke is probably closer to 20, he wanted to apply for the Imperial Academy first).
So Ep.III would take place no more than 2 years after Ep.II, long enough for Anakin to grow long hair and leave the hoarse puberty voice behind, at which point Padm� gets knocked up something fierce.

Then 20 years up until Ep.IV, and we're back in official territory, with Ep.V happening 3 years after Ep.IV, and Ep.VI the year after that (4 years after ANH).

So to recap:

-32...Ep.I
-22...Ep.II
-20...Ep.III (guesstimate)
0.....Ep.IV
+3....Ep.V
+4....Ep.VI

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were those 3 and 4 year figures ever stated in any way in the movies? For some reason, I always got the impression that there was less time between ANH and ESB than between ESB and RotJ.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marvel comics that were set between SW:E5:ESB and SW:E6:ROTJ spanned a period of two years, I think (and no, I'm not going to skim through them now to confirm that), though their timeline has probably been contradicted since by some novel or other.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: "Were those 3 and 4 year figures ever stated in any way in the movies? For some reason, I always got the impression that there was less time between ANH and ESB than between ESB and RotJ."

No, I got the figures from Lucasfilm and Dark Horse Comics.
But here's the last conversation in "The Empire Strikes Back", between Luke Skywalker and Lando Calrissian (sitting in the Falcon):

- Luke, we're ready for takeoff.
- Good luck, Lando.
- When we find Jabba the Hutt and that bounty hunter, we'll contact you.
- I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine!!
- Princess, we'll find Han, I promise.
- (Luke) Chewie, I'll be waiting for your signal. Take care, you two. May the Force be with you.

(Big, Tear-Wrenching Fanfare and Sibling-Fondling)

As we can see, Lucas meant for the audience to keep these lines fresh in their memory when going into "Return of the Jedi", so there can't've been more than maybe six months of travelling to Tatooine, I don't think Jabba the Hutt needed to hide his presence, probably being the mightiest person on Tatooine.
TESB and ROTJ is basically one two-part movie, scriptwise, technologically and musically (Imperial Theme introduced) and dramaturgically (Emperor introduced, played by fine chimp, in TESB).

There were also more things going on in real life between ANH and TESB than between TESB and ROTJ, with Mark Hamill getting a face-fuckup in some trafic accident, and stuff.

Also, between ANH and TESB, Vader gets back to the Empire, gets punished by Palpatine (IIRC) for losing the Death Star and gets command of the Executor, so some years of paperwork and bureaucracy, and on the other side of the spectrum, Luke getting older in the service of the Rebellion, relocating to Hoth and getting promoted to advanced scout.

Nim
Member # 205

Here's the timeline of the Star Wars tales told by Dark Horse Comics, endorsed by Lucasfilm.
The date for Episode III still isn't set, but the date for "Attack of the Clones" is.

-

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, canonically, three years pass between the destruction of the first Death Star and the opening of the second film on Hoth. Six Tatooine months pass between Han's freezing in carbonite at Cloud City and the arrival of the droids at Tatooine as part of the release plan.

How long a Tatooine month is is anyone's guess. Also, events in ESB between Hoth and Cloud City would seem to have taken a good chunk of time. So, there's no way to know exactly how long the prequel series takes as a whole.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Nim
Member # 205

Which is part of the charm with the whole thing, I think.

"and the opening of the second film on Hoth."

The Rebellion had a movie theater on Hoth??? Well I guess you have to keep up morale somehow. They probably only showed Anti-Empire propaganda, though.
When you think about it, you could get some great acoustics if you set up movie speakers in a mountain pass on Hoth. It would be like surround sound, I saw it done once up in the swedish mountains.

It would probably get very cold at night, of course. But not for Chewie, that guy can take anything and then some more.

Anyway, where did you hear of "Six Tatooine-months"? You say it's canonical, that sounds good so far.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
When you think about it, you could get some great acoustics if you set up movie speakers in a mountain pass on Hoth.

Until the avalanche, anyway.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't an avalanche - it is killer bass.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps