Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » One thing never really discussed in RotJ. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: One thing never really discussed in RotJ.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it discussed to death elsewhere though.

Fuck the ewoks.

What's not discussed is the horrible radiation deaths those poor DeathStar Laser tech must have endured....watch the scene as the beam emits just meters from the firing crews.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do realize that Star Wars is *not* science fiction, right?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Force saved them.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
You do realize that Star Wars is *not* science fiction, right?

Uh, how? Last I heard it was. [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarcasm flies past you faster than hyperdrive, young padawan.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Science fiction takes into account things like this, and is solidly based in at least halfway-decent science. Lucas never intended to make SW science fiction in the true sense of the term. He basically did fantasy in a science fiction-type atmosphere. (This is often referred to nowadays as "science fantasy.")

This is not meant to be disparaging. I love SW and, despite my disagreements with many of his more recent creative decisions, have great respect for the talented Mr. Lucas. My point is simply that this sort of a discussion, while it would be valid if we were discussing Trek, is null in regards to SW. That isn't the point of it. The point is the mythology.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're free to define it that way for yourself, but if you think there's anything approaching consensus on this issue you're wrong. Genres aren't real in that idealized, forms in heaven sense, for one thing.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because a story is have on mythology doesn't mean it negates any other characteristics inherent in it. Star Wars is Sci-Fi a lot.

You could say the story behind "The Matrix" is just mythology too, but they have lots of quantifiable and measurable data and plenty of hitherto-nonexistent tech, lending credence to the sci-fi label.
Star Wars is science fiction in that they can do things there that you can't do normally, like create forcefields, fly faster than light and make a Waffen-SS Halloween costume look good.
That it is set in another galaxy is irrelevant.
Also, other sentient and culturally developed lifeforms except humans.

About the fallout of the Second Death Star, sure, if it is within the gravity field of the moon, the hemispheres of the station that exploded towards the moon should fall down on it.

You could of course argue that the insanely oxygen-rich atmosphere of Endor melted the bits away like so much Alka-seltzer, far more efficiently than our planet would, because well it's just so damn green. Whatever yanks your crank.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interjection: Trek is no more solidly based on science than my demented great-grandmother's fantasy world where pigs fly and love is a holographic snowmobile and pink elephants are the force carriers of gravity.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Star Wars is science fiction in that they can do things there that you can't do normally, like create forcefields, fly faster than light and make a Waffen-SS Halloween costume look good.
That it is set in another galaxy is irrelevant.

New forum description- right there.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Sarcasm flies past you faster than hyperdrive, young padawan.

Kiss my bumper! [Mad] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Razz]

To re-inforce my original statement - I truely had no idea that SW was not considered science-fiction. I have always considered it so. Science fantasy? That's a new one for me too. Why would it be fantasy and not fiction though? What's the difference? Isn't it all three (science, fiction & fantasy)? [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm fan relations guru, gives a fairly good description.

Of course, he obviously hasn't watched Voyager, but that's neither here nor there.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why would it be fantasy and not fiction though?"

Fantasy is fiction. Obviously.

Technically, science fiction is supposed to be a "what if?" story based upon some sort of potential scientific advancement.

Of course, since such stories are based in the future, and often involve space travel, it came to be that any story set in the future or involving space got called "science fiction".

So it just depends upon what definition you like. By the "traditional" definition, SW isn't sci-fi. It has nothing to do with science. The spaceships and robots and rayguns are just incidental. You could set the same general story in just about any setting. "Traditional" sci-fi would specifically focus on the consequences of some sort of scientific something-or-other. SW is actually just about the characters.

Now, of course, by that definition, many Trek stories wouldn't be sci-fi, either. So it just depends where you draw the line.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one could think we, here have no life - whoever compiled that page... deserves a personal visit from William Shatner. (Err to like, reiterate the SNL skit).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps