Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » One thing never really discussed in RotJ. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: One thing never really discussed in RotJ.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm more concerned with:

quote:
One thing never really discussed in RotJ
At what point do you want them to stop the end-of-double-trilogy celebrations and have Han say "Okay, all this dancing is well and good, but do these Ewoks know that they're all going to die? Eh?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so we have three potential endings for the film:-

• Original, with muppets dancing around to ethnic oogah-boogah music
  • Special Edition, with muppets dancing around to Deep Forest-esque hippy crap music, accompanied with CGI-ed montage of whole ex-Empire partying down
  • Ultimate Special Edition, in which Rebels bugger off to establish new regime, leaving muppets to perish in fiery hail of death

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd actually buy the DVD editions if option #3 were included! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the Ewoks were not muppets.

And the word Ewok isn't even in the film. Is it in the credits? Now that's effective marketing.

And, of course, proof that Star Wars was terrible right from the (near) start, rather than only becoming awful with the prequels. GRR. MAD. LUCAS BAD.

I don't know.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... you guys do realize that conclusion about this "Endor holocaust" is based on the false assumptions, right? [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there is no death star. My mother taught me that when I was but a babe.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything that involves the death of millions of Ewoks is fine in my book.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.. I could see a planet or moon or star exploding, causing a lot of havoc, but a huge space-station probobly wouldn't affect the planet much. Sure, there would be a lot of radiation, but there's a lot of radiation in space anyway... the atmosphere would filter it out. Another thing to consider is that endor is a moon, so the large planet that Endor orbits would also have a lot of radiation.. making the DT2's explosion just a drop in the buchet. Think of what would happen if it where in Jupiter's orbit.. it would be hard to notice the difference.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT2 = Death Tsar II ?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's that big armored space station from Tsar Wars [Big Grin]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
False assumptions? The Death Star was freaking huge. There would be lots of dust. A good bit of it would hit the moon. That much dust hitting any habitable world would suck mightily for anything living there. Which one's the false assumption?

And there wasn't apparently any planet Endor was orbiting. There's some explanation for this that I don't recall right now.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DROP IN THE BUCHET
Kazeite
Member # 970

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
False assumptions? The Death Star was freaking huge. (...) Which one's the false assumption?

The first one. Death Star 2 diameter was 160 km, not 900 km, as Dr. Saxton assumes.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even a 160 km station (assuming only 1/5 entered the atmosphere) would cause immense damage: greater than any asteroid impact for certain.
We're talking about millions of tons of mass.

That means lotsa dead everything on whatever continent the bulk of wreckage landed on and some fun global climate changes are in store for those furry canibalistic little fucktards.

That's with no radiation seeping through to the planet.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The size of the second Death Star is one of those Star Wars topics that really makes me want to punch people and call them nerds (unlike the Executor-size argument, where I'm quite happy to stick my foot in the 16 mile catagory. Unless it was 16 km. I forget.)

My general science is shaky, but wouldn't a great deal of the mass of the Death Star have been consumed in that Great Big Explosion? And wasn't a lot of the Death Star hollow? And wasn't a lot of it not built yet? Surely those factors would bring down the amount of mass actually hitting Endor.

And apparently it was suppossed to be a rogue moon that had left the orbit of it's planet. Of course, that doesn't explain why it had managed to keep it's ever so nice climate and all.

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Of course, the Ewoks were not muppets.

And the word Ewok isn't even in the film. Is it in the credits? Now that's effective marketing.

And, of course, proof that Star Wars was terrible right from the (near) start, rather than only becoming awful with the prequels. GRR. MAD. LUCAS BAD.

I don't know.

Lots of things are in Star Wars that aren't mentioned. "TIE Fighter" isn't said until Return of the Jedi. "Star Destroyer" isn't said anywhere in A New Hope. X-Wing is said once in the entire trilogy (in The Empire Strikes Back), and Y-Wing, A-Wing and B-Wing aren't said at any point. "Tattooine" isn't said at any point in "A New Hope", nor it "Tusken Raider", and "Coruscant", "Palpatine", and Leia's surname weren't mentioned at all in the original trilogy.

And yet we know them all. Crazy.

Oh, and to address the "Star Wars was rubbish before the new films came out", I would say that the opening of Jedi is as bad as anything in The Phantom Menace. Jabba's Palace is just dull. But the end of the film with Luke, Vadar and Palaptine was as good as anything in The Empire Stikes Back. Yes.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps