Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » One thing never really discussed in RotJ. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: One thing never really discussed in RotJ.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My general science is shaky, but wouldn't a great deal of the mass of the Death Star have been consumed in that Great Big Explosion?

Well, an explosion tends to blow things out, not consume them. Being an explosion. And matter can neither be created nor destroyed, so it's gonna go SOMEWHERE.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps it was a special explosion that managed to convert most of the matter into energy. And the Ewoks were simply irradiated.

And they mutated into much taller, hairier creatures, and resettled their race at a point in the distant past. Thus making Endor the Wookiee homeworld it was originally intended to be.

Or, well, maybe not.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
But the end of the film with Luke, Vadar and Palaptine was as good as anything in The Empire Stikes Back. Yes.

As long as you can fast-forward through all the scenes of idiotic teddy-bears handily taking out the Empire's elite forces, anyway.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Even a 160 km station (assuming only 1/5 entered the atmosphere) would cause immense damage: greater than any asteroid impact for certain.

That's why Rebel Fleet moved to shield Endor against any debris.

And if teddy-bears can handily take out the Empire's "elite forces", then there's no reason to assume that Rebel fleet failed to protect Endor [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A-Wing and B-Wing aren't said at any point
I never understood why they were called B-wings. They look more like Ts.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
quote:
Even a 160 km station (assuming only 1/5 entered the atmosphere) would cause immense damage: greater than any asteroid impact for certain.

That's why Rebel Fleet moved to shield Endor against any debris.

And if teddy-bears can handily take out the Empire's "elite forces", then there's no reason to assume that Rebel fleet failed to protect Endor [Big Grin]

Shield Endor with what exactly?

It would've entered the atmosphere within an hor (at most) of the core being destroyed.
If the Rebels had something that powerful, they'd have used it to shield thei capital ships from the super-laser.

Not that any "laser" should have done shit anyway, but I digress...

I suppose you could make a story of a daring race to the giant DirectTV dish/shield emitter to somehow (with Wesley Crusher's help) reverse the shield to deflect debris away from Endor.

Assuming they get past the AT-AT's guarding the dish (the ones that do NOTHING in the movie).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but Wedge's X-Wing and the Falcon were armed with patented Deep Impact anti-comet bombs that can blast celestial objects into harmless visual effects.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Suuuure! I forgot that SW vs. ST site that decalres a STar Destroyer's got enough powerin a single blast to destroy the multiverse based on cheaply composited VFX.

Silly me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Shield Endor with what exactly?

Shield Endor by destroying debris with their fire and using tractor beams to deflect them.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, matter can't be created or destroyed. You shoot an incoming chunk of metal, you'll melt it, break it into two chunks, something, but it'll still be headed for the moon and it'll still be lots of dust in the atmosphere when it gets there. If you do that to an asteroid or something that's far enough away you MIGHT actually deflect it, but this debris would have hit Endor within minutes. And tractor beams would only work if you had freaking lots of them, because we're still talking about millions of tiny chunks. If they had that many tractor beams, they could play eight-ball with the death star.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science Fiction Fantasy.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kazeite: "Shield Endor by destroying debris with their fire and using tractor beams to deflect them."

Yes, we know how splendid that worked with the Bozeman.

Kazeite
Member # 970

One question first: what happens with the matter that was vaporized?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anakin Skywalker wasn't quite dead yet, so he and Luke combined their Force powers to deflect all the debris away from Endor. And then Anakin died.

See, it even explains why we never saw him disappear like Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That's why Rebel Fleet moved to shield Endor against any debris."

The fleet moved because getting caught in the explosion would have been a Bad Thing for the ships in it.

"what happens with the matter that was vaporized?"

In the real world, it'd have been converted into energy. Lots and lots of energy. Enough to reduce Endor to a lifeless rock.

In the real world.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps