Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » What you looking forward to most? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What you looking forward to most?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says Amidala dies in the next movie?

And even if she does ... I mean, clearly, Leia was intended to be the more visible of the twins, which is why she was adopted by Bail Organa. You think Bail or Yoda or Kenobi wanted the Emperor realizing, "Shit! That's Vader's kid!" Of course not. But, then, where'd Leia come from to be adopted? So Leia goes with one of Padme's coterie, is cared for by her for a couple of years, then passed on to Organa.

Or not. But really - who says Padme dies?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: cloned Stormtroopers & pilots

Didn't Biggs fly for the Empire before switching sides to fight for the Rebels? And didn't Red Leader tell Luke - at least, in a cut scene? - that he'd flown with Anakin? Both of which imply that the Republic, in addition to using clone pilots, also used human pilots -- and also that the Empire uses human pilots as opposed to clones.

I would also imagine that its cheaper to raise a natural human army of Stormtroopers than it is to have them cloned.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I would also imagine that its cheaper to raise a natural human army of Stormtroopers than it is to have them cloned."

I'm not so sure this is a warranted assumption. Weren't the clones on some sort of accelerated growth/learning by direct brain injection program? That probably cuts down on teacher salaries, at the very least.

You know, this is (these are?) the "Clone Wars," but nobody calls WWII the "Airplane War."

Well, I guess somebody might, but I am going to preemptively dismiss them with an idle wave of my hand.

("Oh man, we learned all about the Bridle Wars of Asia today in school!")

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Blogger Snay:
Who says Amidala dies in the next movie?

Every spoiler report that I've read.

And no, the Stormtroopers have not been dubbed by Temuera Morrison on the original trilogy DVDs, despite Boba Fett having been.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted links to spoiler pics -several times- that show Amidalia's death scene on the operating table with Kenobi, Yoda, and the droids all present.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me if I missed it, but at what point did this thread turn from "I'm avoiding spoilers and waiting to see the film" to "Let's ruin things for Liam"?

If I failed to spot the spoiler warning, then sorry. If I didn't, you are all big fat fucking idiots.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come now, isn't that rather like saying that knowing Anakin will turn into Darth Vader ruins things for you? Or that Palpatine and Sidious are (*GASP*) one and the same dude?

OF COURSE SHE DIES! THAT MUCH WE KNOW FOR CERTAIN! SO DO ALL THE JEDI EXCEPT FOR YODA AND OBI-WAN! YES, THIS INCLUDES MACE WINDU! MY, WHAT EARTH-SHATTERING SPOILERS!

Yeah, but seriously, dude, my bad.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no, we didn't know she died. As has been pointed out, Leia seemed to know what she was like. So she could have been smuggled to Alderaan or something like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, none of us has seen the movie yet, so mabye she gets cloned or mabye Leia is raised by Bail's young hottie wife (hey, he runs the fucking planey- he should have a hottie!).

$$$ VAGUE SPOILER FOR THE TECHNICALLY INCLINED$$$$

I'm looking forward to hearing James Earl Jones' voice as vader this time around- it sounds more filtered and metallic.
Mabye due to the relativly new technology?

I also look forward to watching Yoda get his ass kicked.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will there be nice, shiny, NEW X-Wings?
Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Non-cloned Stormtroopers

I believe this was dealt with in Timothy Zahn's novels, the Heir to the Empire trilogy. It's a long time since I read them, and even then I only read parts of them, but one point I seem to remember is Luke killing some Stormtroopers, removing their helmets, and discovering they look identical. This led to the realisation that C'Boath, the dark jedi master, had discovered a Kaminoan cloning machine (In fact, didn't he clone himself, hence him being mad?).

The implication of this is that at some point in the Clone Wars Kaminoa gets totalled, and the cloning machines destroyed. So I guess the Empire had to fill the ranks somehow.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't doubt that Palpatine ensures the detruction of Kamino. There are too many loose ends there that he probably wouldn't want floating around. They had contact with Sifo Dias (whoever that turns out to be... I'm guessing a Force halluciantion created by Palpatine himself). I think the cloning technology in the Zahn triogy was Sparti, though... not Kaminoan.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
They had contact with Sifo Dias (whoever that turns out to be... I'm guessing a Force halluciantion created by Palpatine himself).
No, I think Sifo Dias was a real Jedi, who Dooku impersonated to place the clone order - remember, it was Dooku who recruited Fett in the first place. The implication is that Dooku - who may have still been on the Jedi Council at that point - either arranged for Sifo Dias' death, or simply took advantage of Sifo Dias' tragic (but unrelated) demise.

quote:
I'm not so sure this is a warranted assumption. Weren't the clones on some sort of accelerated growth/learning by direct brain injection program? That probably cuts down on teacher salaries, at the very least.
I disagree. In an organization as big as the Republic - and soon to be the Empire - you're bound to have a lot of young males eligible for military service. You'd have to pay for their training and housing anyway, but by going away from clones, you don't have to pay for their growth. Besides which, pre-adulthood education expenses would most likely be chalked off as a regional planetary expense associated with any populated world, and not counted towards the cost of raising and maintaining a military force.

quote:
I believe this was dealt with in Timothy Zahn's novels, the Heir to the Empire trilogy.
I don't think we can take anything from Heir to the Empire and assume it to be fact. Remember, according to the Zahn novels, the Old Republic had a standing military, and also that Darth Vader lost his right hand as punishment for trying to coerce Luke into overthrowing the Empire -- not because as a young, headstrong Jedi padawan, Anakin attacked a Sith Lord.

Last ...

Jason Abbadon and The Mighty Monkey of Mim. Fuck you both. I like you both, but please understand that I have been trying to avoid all spoilers of the film, or at least as many as I can, and I don't appreciate either of you just sprouting them out willy-nilly. There's a difference between knowing that Anakin turns into Darth Vader -- because that fact is made very clear in The Empire Strikes Back (you remember that scene? "Luke, *I* am your father!") -- and that Amidala dies, which to those who remember Leia's lines in Return of the Jedi, might come as a true shock & surprise. So please try to be more considerate in the future.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a spoiler: this movie is going to be terrible.

POW!

No, but seriously: since there's nothing to say how much it costs to grow a clone versus raising a child, how can you say which is cheaper? Not to mention that you can needlessly throw away the lives of clones without having to bother with "reeducating" their families should they raise a fuss.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Who would throw a fuss when their son died fighting the evil Rebellion that threatens the security of the peaceful Empire and it's loving citizens?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps