Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 14)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palpatine as John Lovitz....."I MEANT to do that"

I seriously doubt that Bespin is anywhere close to Hoth. You just don't build secret bases anywhere near activity like Cloud City. Lando stated that the empire knew about them but left them alone. I pretty much believed that DV had destroyers dropping into uncharted systems to launch prope droids and possibly some type of communications array so the droids could com back to the fleet. Then they headed for the next system. Had a SD been in the vicinity of Hoth when the probe droid got waxed it would have immediately been on top of the base and starting blockade/harrassment actions. Instead, the fleet assembles and then approaches, giving the Rebs time to prepare.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also think that if Hoth/Bespin/Dagoba(?) are all in the same system then Vader might notice Yoda's proximity....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I seriously doubt that Bespin is anywhere close to Hoth. You just don't build secret bases anywhere near activity like Cloud City...

This is STAR WARS, after all. Logic doesn't really enter into it. [Smile]

And anyway, regardless if there was any real thought in the final TESB for those planets to be in the same solar system, you can see how the idea would make sense in that Flash Gordon/pulp-sf/Edgar Rice Burroughs sense, Venus having been popularly imagined as a swamp planet for so long, Mars as a cold dying, world, and Jupiter being inhabitable in some odd way.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think Lucas lacked too great-an-imagination - he basically lifted Bespin from "Stratos" the city in the clouds from the Original Star Trek episode "The Cloud Miners". It's well known he is a big Trek Fan (most probably TOS).

Also - he's very simple/plays-down/condescending towards the audience in that he has to make every planet VASTLY different from the other/each a particular 'environment'.

1. Coruscant - city
2. Tatooine - desert
3. Hoth - icy
4. Bespin - gas/clouds/air
5. Geonosis - rock
6. Kamino - water
7. Endor - forest
8. Dagobah - swamp
9. Naboo - grassland
10. Mustafar - fire/lava/volcanic

That covers a lot of the disparate environments on Earth.

There was even a brief glimpse of a giant-garden planet in ROTS where Aayala Secura was killed by the Clone Troopers.

Some of the double-ups are probably

Kashyyyk/Endor
Alderaan/Naboo
Ilum/Hoth

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the idea of a city in the clouds so exclusive to "Star Trek" that it George Lucas must have specifically stolen the idea from "The Cloud Minders?"

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Is the idea of a city in the clouds so exclusive to "Star Trek" that it George Lucas must have specifically stolen the idea from "The Cloud Minders?"

Yes.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever watch "The Jetsons"?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frogmurderer:
quote:
I'd also think that if Hoth/Bespin/Dagoba(?) are all in the same system then Vader might notice Yoda's proximity....
Even if they were in the same system, I don't think so. The reason Yoda chose Dagoba wasn't just because of it being uninhabited but that it was so teeming with lifeforms and the Force that he could hide in the "static".

It would be pretty dumb if the Falcon would escape Hoth during heavy pursuit, hide on a rock and then go to another planet in the same system.

Besides, Lando said of Vader "They got here before you did". If the three planets were in the same system then everyone was already there.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, didn't Obi-Wan tell Luke to go to the "Dagobah system"? If it was in the same system as Hoth, he was already there.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
VEERS: My lord, the fleet has moves out of light-speed. Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area around the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment.
Hoth is the system. The Rebels were on the sixth planet of the system.

Obi-Wan does tell Luke to go to the Dagobah System.

Additionally (tangent to this topic): The Rebel Base on Yavin IV was on the fourth moon of the planet Yavin.

The second Death Star was built in orbit of the Moon of Endor (either the planet is Endor or the moon is).

According to Tarkin "Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration..." yet the scout ships reach Dantooine in relatively short time. Did they leave the Death Star or were they nearby and simply ordered to investagate?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant that the population (if any) of Dantooine was so small that the destruction of it would not instill terror in the galaxy. Alderann, however, was populated by possibly billions of people, the deaths of which would be more terrifying than that of a few thousand Rebels.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a nonstandard definition of remote.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he meant remote as in no one remembers or cares about the planet, the demonstration needs to take place in the midrim or something to shake up the neighborhood.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe lightspeed does not equal hyperspace?

Two forms of "real fast travel" ?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much in the same way "lasers" dont mean Lasers in Star Wars but some sort of particle beam that is obviously slower than light but packs a punch greater than a mere laser?

quote:

Personally, I think Lucas lacked too great-an-imagination - he basically lifted Bespin from "Stratos" the city in the clouds from the Original Star Trek episode "The Cloud Miners". It's well known he is a big Trek Fan (most probably TOS).

He's also an Asimov fan.
Which explains why Courscant is obviously Trantos from the Foundation books.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps