Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 16)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

(BTW, does Coruscant still have seas and polar icecaps? It's a bit hard to tell from the visuals, without DVD stop-motion reference. Trantor did away with those...)

Well, according to the X-Wing novels it does still have polar ice caps. No mention of any seas, though.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They must have a strong chapstick market there, then.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I actually think Timothy Zahn coined the name "Courscant" in the Heir To The Empire novels (which Lucas actually read/ revised and approved of before they could be published).

This exact question came up before, and I can't remember the answer to I'm asking it again... Did the Zahn trilogy come out before or after TIE Fighter? Because Coruscant was definitely named in that game.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B4. HttE was, I think, published in 1992, DFR and TLC both in 1993.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a few paintings of Coruscant in one of the early "art of starwars" books, (probably concepts for the RotJ draft that had 2 Death Stars over the Imperial capital or something.) Anyway, i distinctly remember one painting of the polar region and some blurb about the lack of oceans means that the planet's water supplies are drawn largly from artificially melting the ice caps.
More likely though, the millenia of development and the coutless number of layered construction porbably means that there are abandoned sections of the deep cites that have probably become flooded, in effect becoming underground oceans, which can be pumped to the surface.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just used as drinking water for the population. [Wink]

Not that even earth-sized polar icecaps would be sufficent if the rest of the entire planet was populated.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With so much built on top of other structures... what happens if there's a deep structure collapse? The idea of long abandoned sections of city is highly plausible. But what if there was an explosion or an earthquake or something and a deep level structure collapsed? Wouldn't that effect everything on top of it?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the first floor of a block of flats collapses everything on top of it is going down, but imagine on Coruscant, the lower levels probaby support more than one block of flats, if something collapsed down below the surface massive chunks of the city would probably cave in to the hole.

I think I read somewhere that there's still one surface sea kept and maintained for tourists and people on the planet to go to on holiday, called the Great Western sea, all the rest of the seas are carefully tended as giant underground reservoirs.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Makes for an interesting story/plot idea, no?

While not big on technobabble, and therefore no direct evidence, there still must be inertial dampeners, artificial gravity, etc... in the Star Wars universe. Perhaps those weak sections or sections built on fault lines are reinforced by some kind of protective field or barrier.

Or maybe they should be [Wink]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm talking about the sections of city first built on the planet centuries ago. The places noone has entered in 500 years.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they probably would (or should) have put something down there akin to a forcefield or some other wierd magical technobabble barrier to stop structural collapses or earthquakes and then just walled off those sections of the city like old sewers and underground railroads are done in some places.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if the structure is THAT dense then I imagine a sub-surface collapse would have little, if any effect on the upper levels sice I imagine allot of the weight of the structures is spread sideways as much as down. In a sense I suppose the city itself constitutes a secondary crust an as such would probably behave as one, continental drifts and mas/density shifts included.
As to what long term effects such movements would make, for the most part I think the worst most building would suffer would be some distortion of the lower levels, perhaps some cracks and whatnot. Basically what you'd get in a house built on less than stable foundations.
I suppose in a catastrophic senario, where a large section of the undercity suddenly collapses, the results would be quite nasty on a local scale.
As for earth quakes and the like, I imagine that most of the pressures on the planet's magma would be released though thousands of ancient geo-thermic power stations.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The oldcomic book Alien Legion has a "corperate planet" that's like Courscant- completely covered in city.
The imported mass used to build all the structures required the planet's citizens t build giant mass-drivers just o keep their planet in it's proper orbit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.