Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars casting news

Author Topic: Star Wars casting news
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is Australian actor Matthew Newton going to a Galaxy Far, Far Away?

According to The Sunday Herald Sun - quite possibly.

George Lucas has done an 'availability check' on the young actor - the son of TV legend, Bert - to see if he's free for his upcoming 100 episode "Star Wars" TV series.

via moviehole

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's all this hooplah with this Star Wars series? Does it even have a name?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of goobery lookin'. Maybe it's just the beard in that picture. I wonder what role he's being looked at for? I guess it would depend on what time period the show is set in.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there is that Cartoon series... it better not be something like Jar Jar Binks and Friends.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand the cartoon series is just going to be an extension of CLone Wars somehow, dunno how as it was meant to lead into RotS but I read it was meant to be completely CG instead of that ridiculous bad imitation of anime that Cartoon Network does so much of.

I dunno what part they're gonna cast this Newton guy in but I hope to the fates that they force him to get a decent haircut and get rid of that fluff off of his upper lip and chin.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marauth,

I think the new CGI "Clone Wars" cartoon will take place before the Cartoon Network "Clone Wars" ... and I'd also point out that we don't even know if it will focus on Obi-Wan & Anakin.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"that ridiculous bad imitation of anime"
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he said. Buh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, should have clarified: on the Clone Wars DVD the director Genndy Tartakovsky states that he was inspired by and tried to make the visual style of the show similar to anime, I've never seen a single anime that looked anything like Clone Wars or any of the other Cartoon Network shows, some of which bear quite a resemblance to the style in Clone Wars, I believe one is called Samurai Jack and was also made by Tartakovsky.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, well, yeah. Presumably it's on the strength of that show (which I've never seen, but various nerd sources were all "It is crazy and sweet!) that he got offered the Star Wars thing.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You foudn time to watch The Powerpuff Girls, so I'm sure you can squeeze in Samurai Jack somewhere.

The impression I get from the shows is that the action sequences are slightly anime inspired, but the actual character design is unique. If he says otherwise, then I suppose as the creator he's right. (Although various western animated artists seem to be getting annoyed at the "everything is inspired by anime" commentary. Craig McCracken seems to field in in every interview about the PPGs.)

It was more the "ridiculous bad imitation of anime" comment. People who dismiss things as being "just a cartoon" narrow minded. People who dismiss things as "it's not anime, it's just a cartoon" are nerd snobs.

(Apparently, the people who worked on The Clone Wars so pleased George that he let them see Revenge Of The Sith two days before it opened. Wasn't that nice of him?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Marauth
Member # 1320

Very nice of him indeed.

I wasn't dismissing the story-telling potential of the series just because I dislike the visual style; I was merely commenting that it is not - as some of the creators and at one point even Lucas himself say - anime, it is a unique and very stylised, erm, style that bears little resemblance to anime other than both are forms of cartoon art.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And Padme has enormous saucer-eyes.

(I do agree though, it looks nothing like anime.)

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might just be me, but some of the clone wars character designs struck me as being slightly similar to the Gerald Scarfe-inspired designs for Disney's "Hercules". Something about the whole stylised look to them struck me as slightly similar.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're carbon copies, just that the Clone Wars stuff struck me as slightly reminiscent of the Disney "Hercules" look. Especially the characters with beards - Obi-Wan and Dooku. Anyone else seen a similarity?

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps