Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Episodes 7-9, what do you think? [warning: thread has devolved into spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Episodes 7-9, what do you think? [warning: thread has devolved into spoilers]
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the future of the Star Wars universe after Episode 6 being handled by the book universe, and with fans clamoring for Episodes 7-9, which novels would you/do you consider worthy of picking up the next 3 installments of the Star Wars story?

Do the 3 Thrawn novels count as 3 episodes or only 1? Do Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi stories fit somewhere?

What do you think?

[ June 02, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No to all. You aren't going to see film versions of those books, and if Lucas ever did decide to do episodes 7-9 you can bet they'd invalidate all of the "expanded universe" set after the OT.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A) I doubt we'll ever see more movies because the saga seems to have been Anakin's story, which is now over. The television projects will doubtlessly deal with different characters.

B) There's no way Lucas would make movies based on someone else's books. They would either overwrite the books or be set far enough in the future that it wouldn't overlap.

C) See A.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm aware of all that. I'm not expecting another trilogy to be made.

I've read the Thrawn books, and a few of the others. Kevin J. Anderson's novels and a few other bad ones turned me off to the novels and I've not read anymore.

But the story does continue in the books. Which of these stories would be worthy of being Episodes 7-9 in your opinion and why?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of them. The most worthy events that I can think of would be Luke's marriage and fatherhood. The movies would have to deal with the Luke's ongoing saga. From my limited reading of the novels, there aren't alot of lasting changes that happen to the characters in the books.

If there were to be additional movies, I think they would have to be written specifically to pick up the Skywalker saga and do something new with it. I don't think you could just pick three of the books and make movies out of them. A TV series possibly.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book spoilers!

$
$
$
$
$

Well, Han and Leia get married and have three kids, Luke gets married and has a kid, Chewbacca dies. There are definite character changes. They're just few and far between, given the huge number of books.

To answer the question, though, the only really GOOD Star Wars novels I ever ran into were the Zahn books, mainly the Thrawn trilogy. IF one wanted to make three more movies out of novels, they're the ones I'd go for. But then, I appreciate plot and characterization, so I like book that wouldn't necessarily make good movies.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Another realistic problem to consider is that you'd never get any of the actors for human OT characters to reprise their roles.

When I was younger, I had thought movies about Han and Leia's kids would be good, but I think the movies really would have to focus on Luke's lineage.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are going to be more Star Wars movies, I firmly believe. In this era of declining ticket sales no right-thinking producer is going to let go of a dedicated draw like Star Wars. Lucas may have little to do with them, but expect more.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

How about this: They can make a third Ewoks movie and call that the third trilogy.

If there are more movies, I don't want them to be Episodes 7, 8 and 9. I think they should be a completely different story than the Skywalker story.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
A) I doubt we'll ever see more movies because the saga seems to have been Anakin's story, which is now over.

Yeah, but his GHOST could appear in every episode as an old coot training Leia and Luke's grandchildren. and setting them at odds with each other to set up a Second Foundation Republic that would eventually decline until Hari Skywalker (translated "Seldon" at that time) creates a Force driven galaxy that eventually leads them all back to the lost planet of Tatooine where they find this whole thing was actually orchestrated by R. Too-Detoo Olivaw.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I don't think there will be any more Star Wars movies. Maybe Fox will want to continue the franchise, but looks like they can do that with the two TV shows in the works. However, it's true that if you slap "Star Wars" on a movie it will guarantee you $300 million.

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case Lucas could somehow be locked out of the project for good, I'd like to see the saga continued by a final three movies - using both the ghost of Anakin, and the ever-present two droids, as the anchorpoints.

Ditch all the "human" characters of OT and NT; the former because they can only be brought back on screen via computer animation, and the latter because even computers are unable to bring any animation to them. Introduce completely new figures, unrelated to the has-beens of NT or the incidental mercenaries and amateurs of OT, to support a continued saga of Anakin's redemption; perhaps the power of reanimation is not limited to the Dark Side after all...

But first and foremost, surprise the audience!

Timo Saloniemi

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. After watching the 'new' trilogy, I think I'm just gonna pretend it was a really weird dream, and stick to the originals.

Also, it's quite ironic that Lucas created Star Wars in his own vision, in spite of big corporations, and now he's BECOME a big corporation... the darkside is powerful indeed, huh, George...?

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) has in his contract the reserve to do episodes 7, 8 and 9.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was one of the weirdest things in the movie - Lucas actually getting Mayhew to wear the fur for those 17.4 seconds of onscreen time!

After seeing how small that role was, I was sort of expecting Liam Neeson to drop by for a two-eyeblinks-and-you-miss-it "ghost" appearance when Yoda started speaking of the immortality thing...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps