Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Second Grave at the Lars Homestead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Second Grave at the Lars Homestead
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Episode 2, we see that Shmi's grave is right next to another grave a little ways from the Lars homstead. I've always assumed that this is the grave of Kleig's first wife, Owen's mother. Is their any EU stuff on who's grave it is?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And where did the graves go by the time of ANH?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I was kind of wondering that myself. I'm curious, though, if the angles from ANH are such that we might plausibly not see them. I suppose they could've been swept over by sand, but the area around the homestead seems fairly flat.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, why just two graves? Is the farm brand new? Or did Cleig follow corpse-disposal practices that differed from those of the previous farmer generations?

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The absence of older graves in both episodes 2 and 4 would seem to imply that graves or gravemarkers tend to be removed after some time. It occurs to me that moisture farmers would likely make use of some equipment like the Fremen in Dune, to extract water from corpses.

"Okay, he's gone, now let's dig her back up and dessicate her..."

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then there's a market for gravestones, and far too many Jawas to waste ammo at.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

On the Star Wars site in the EU section under Cliegg Lars, it mentions that he moved off world to one of the core planets and married. His wife died and he moved back to Tatooine. So it's possible that Cliegg is the first owner of the homestead. It could also be his parents', who are also mentioned to have been moisture farmers.

The entry doesn't say whether his first wife was buried on Tatooine, though. It seems to imply that she died before they got back.

It's possible that the markers were removed after Luke was delivered in an attempt to erase any record of the past connected at all to Anakin. They probably wouldn't really want Luke asking who's buried there.

"Oh... that was my father's second wife... she and her son were slaves here until he went off and... became... a Jedi."

"A Jedi!! Oh boy!! What happened to him?"

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because heaven forbid Luke should find out that his father had a mother, who would in fact be his grandmother.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the grave also could have been that of the family dog, or something.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except if that was the case, there would be a "Lars Family Pet Ooglarooloo" action figure, along with a "Lars Family Pet Ooglarooloo with Saddle and Owen Lars in Riding Gear" variant.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yes, because heaven forbid Luke should find out that his father had a mother, who would in fact be his grandmother.

Well, it would bring up the notion that luke's dad was Jesus or whatever, so it was probably best to leave the kid in the dark.
Not that uncle Owen would really know anything about Anakin's origins- Shimi probably did not speak much of that time she got knocked up by microbes.

As to graves- it's the desert- there are probably sand storms re-shaping things all the time.
It's why they live below ground, dontcha know?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how would the lack of a grave raise any ominous questions? Surely "your grandfather isn't buried here" suffices to totally derail any.

Followed, if necessary by "how the hell should I know where he's buried?"

More worrisome is how Luke avoided space googling his last name and finding out he shared it with a famous Jedi who was Palpatine's best friend. How did the rise of Darth Vader get spun, anyway? I suppose the brave Skywalker may have been killed by his traitorous companions. But how exactly do you make Darth Vader out to be a worthy replacement? I mean, if the Jedi were in power for so long, shouldn't their take on the Sith be the mainstream one, and that connection be one the Emperor would want to downplay? I guess it depends on how well known Vader is.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I think someone has asked the latter question in this very forum, but I forget who or when.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jedi seem to have been fairly secretive about their own methods and members- it probably added to their influence if rumors about their power were the norm.

The Emperor coud have erased all public information on the Jedi...or just arrested anyone asking too many questions about them.
Word would have gotten around pretty quick that wise people dont talk about the Jedi.

I doubt many people put Vader together with the Jedi at all....Vader would have been just another evil crony of Palpaltines by the time of ANH.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's strange, I was thinking about this thread in the shower this morning, and one of the questions I had was concerned with knowledge of Luke's origins - but not while still on Tatooine, after.

We know that a certain time period separates ANH and TESB. During this time Luke Skywalker's name and fame obviously spread quite far. He's one of the poster boys of the Rebellion. And there seems to be no doubt in Palpatine's and Vader's minds that this Skywalker is the son of that Skywalker. But never mind what the Imperial leadership know or guess, what about people in the Alliance?

For a long time the Senate continued to function despite the presence of a ruling Emperor. But in fact what wasn't public knowledge was that most of the Senate was under the control of the Emperor, probably by Sith mind-control means. The Rebel Alliance then become a kind of bunch of conspiracy theorists, as it were, but they're the poeple who know what's really going on. So wouldn't Anakin Skywalker's betrayal of the Jedi be reasonably common knowledge within the Alliance? And we also know he was called Lord/Darth Vader even before he got the biomechanical togs.

So these people would know those facts. They wouldn't know about the existence of a son (or daughter) since only three people (and one droid; Mrs. Organa needn't have known the origin of her foster-daughter; the medical droids could have had their memories wiped at the same time as C-3PO) knew Amidala lived long enough to give birth. But then along comes adult Luke with a princess and a bunch of plans, and becomes a hero. So we're expected to believe not one of those Rebels put two and two together, hearing of Luke being the son of the Great Jedi Pilot, Hero of the Clone Wars, Anakin S., and thought to themselves "But he's. . ." And then didn't mention it to their closest associates, their cell leaders, the Rebel leadership or Luke himself?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps