Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars Canon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Wars Canon
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of SW novels. I saw at the book store the otherday a cover of a novel that had Leia holding a light sabre. So does she become a fully-fledged Jedi in the future?

Do other Jedi show up across the galaxy?

Andrew

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh...sorry gaurdian, i didn't realize that it was ur website till i actually looked at ur little url at the bottom of the post. i guess i should have worded it better. what i should have said was that this canon idea is wacko, not u. But i do think that lucas made a big mistake making the prequels and not a sequel, i didn't even go to phantom or clones on opening night cuz they looked so stupid, i didn't even pay for my own ticket when i did go. Make no mistake, I love star wars. When the original came out, some people thought it was a childrens movie, but lucas was trying to be serious, now with the prequels i get the distinct impression that it was a childrens movie and he WAS trying to make it that way. I'm sorry, but they just looked fake, which is saying alot since Star Wars is a fantasy...

I remember hearing once that George Lucas personally reads and aproves every Star Wars novel before it was released, has anyone else heard anything along those lines? Cuz I find it hard to believe he hasn't read any of the "Expanded Universe" or whatever. So long as it has the trademark STAR WARS in big capital letters on it, it's Star Wars to me. regardless of whether or not George Lucas has gotten his greedy little paws into it.

And if I understand this whole canon concept goes like this: anything that was not in the movie doesn't actually exist in Star Wars? So there's no Victory Star Destroyers...BTW i has hoping to see one of those in the prequels...Tuff sh*t eh.. no E-Wing either? no World Devastator, Eclipse class Super Star Destroyers, no Z-95 Headhunter? no Corperate Sector? han and Leia don't get married and have 3 kids. That's where the bullshit lies... oh, if anyone here doesn't know what i'm talking about, just say so, cuz I know my Star Wars. specially the starships...

And yes Leia does eventually get her own lightsaber as a gift from Luke, and she uses it too. She even beat luke in a duel in the book "Ambush at Corellia"

As for being a Jedi Knight, I don't think she ever recieved any formal training at Lukes Praxeum. (Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 for those who havn't read "Dark Force Rising") Luke did teach her for a while, but being the head of a galactic republic kinda cuts into your free time...

I wonder if old Georgie ever played any of the games Lucasarts put out. heh, maybe one day I'll see him on a Battlefront server and blow his brains out with my sniper rifle...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought the star wars chronology book (the new one)and it does a pretty good job of tying canon into eu. Not everything from eu makes it in (like that Jawa's show and X-mas special crap) but it does create a nice flowing timeline of the star wars universe as well as some kick ass pictures some of which take up TWO whole pages! It does pull a bit of a 1984 on us in that some events are retold in a way to include EP I, II, III canon(like Bevel Lemilisk now working with the Geonosians to make the Death Star, rather than designing the thing himself.) I still think it's a good buy though.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an interview with Lucas where he said he has absolutely nothing to do with the EU books and materials. I don't have a link, however.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would believe that he is focused on his movie making, although the 7-9 eps that I heard about decades ago are quashed, that he wouldn't care what the EU as to offer, other than the $.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume that Lucas has some lackey--who makes more money than I do as an engineer--who actually reads drafts of Star Wars books to make sure they don't seriously contradict existing movies or novels.

I have noticed, however, that the Star Trek franchise specifically states that the novels are not canon, but the relatively small cabal of Trek novelists seems to make a serious effort to maintain continuity. In some cases there's better continuity between the different book series than there is between the canonical TV series.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, as long as it's got the Star Wars logo, it's Star Wars to me. Even some of the Lucasarts games coincide with the books. Star Wars Rebellion (supremacy in the UK) has characters from the books like Daala, Thrawn, and General Drayson. to name a few. Does anyone here have Rebellion and still play it?

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure no one ever played it.

Take that, Lucasarts!

(I sure hope Empire at War is good.)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played Rebellion for all of five minutes, and am therefore qualified to say it was bad.

Also, I sure hope Empire at War is good enough to hold me over until Supreme Commander is loosed upon the world.

(Take that, ex-Westwooders!)

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got your Star Wars cannon right here:  -
Da_bang80
Member # 528

Rebellion wasn't bad! Maybe it was just too complicated for you. I love that game, it rocks. It's up there with TIE fighter on my list of favorites.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps