Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Video Game Canon... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Video Game Canon...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three things I love in life: Star Wars, Video Games, and Star Wars Video Games. But this question has been on my mind lately. Are Star Wars video games considered canon? Since all Star Wars games are made by LucasArts, which is a company George Lucas owns, does that make anything featured in these game officially part of the universe? Or are they more in the realm of the EU?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Trek, it's the Series, Movies, and technical manuals based directly off the series and movies- The cartoon series is never included in canon. Novels, games and other anything else is non. Since Lucas does have full control over the games, mayhaps? I would say no- Unless George also comes out and blesses the game and flicks some water on it and announces that all shall consider it part of the Star Wars Universe.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word: Fuck No.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the games of the movies seem to disagre on what happened in those movies...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the overall storylines of *some* of the games are meant to fit in with the movies and be a "real" part of the universe. For instance, the events in the game, "Shadows of the Empire" happened, but the fact that the main character died 50 times and was miraculously resurrected over and over again to continue the adventure, didn't happen. "Shadows" was always meant, as far as I know, to be the movie that was never made and thus, all of it's elements were meant to work into real universe.

Obviously, the games that allow you to replay the movies are not canon and should be considered on an ElseWorlds level.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, was "Shadows" a game or a novel first? Because I have the book, but I don't remember a game.

quote:
...all Star Wars games are made by LucasArts...
Not quite. Sure, they've made most of them since they've been around, but they certainly didn't make the first games, like the vector graphics one where you ran the trench run 50 times. (You want that one canon, too?)

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell yes: the Empire had a Death Star mass production line- at least 100 stations and the TIE fighters werre all using some new weapon that looked like a pom-pom was thrown at your ship...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shadows" was a game, a novel and a comic book series all at the same time. As I recall, they worked as independant stories themselves, but you had to give George Lucas your money for all of them in order to get the whole story.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle Katarn is a good example of a game growing into about as near as canon as can be.

Kyle's now a fairly regular Jedi, getting mentioned in the New Jedi Order, getting a line or two some where near the end, and actually shown interacting with everyone else in the Dark Nest trilogy, after the NJO.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Ozu
Member # 1778

- posted      Profile for Ozu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no definitive answer to the question. Some of the games are indeed directly tied into the main fiction as behind the scenes sub-plots (like Republic Commando, which follows a "special ops" team of clone troopers up to the battle of Kashyyk featured in Ep. 3). Others, however, are simply there to try to recreate one element of the SW universe to provide fun for the player (read "simply there to annoyingly redundantly recreate the Hoth battle sequence or Death Star trench run to fatten the Lucasarts treasury and milk the consumer"). The SW franchise has been shamelessly exploited on everything from toothebrushes to BK cups, and the games are no exception. Every now and then they release a good one that ties into the "real" story, like Republic Commando, the Rogue Squadron series, or Knights of the Old Republic (although this is debatable as they take place 5000 years before the films). They also, however, have released completely backwards nonsensical steamy piles of gaming crap, like Jedi Power Battle (picture Street Fighter with Luke and horrible physics/controls).
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

How is the concept of Jedi Power Battle an exploitation of the franchise? Leave the game quality, and the crappy name aside. It's just a fight game that lets you fight as Star Wars characters with their weapons and powers. So? It's obviously not supposed to tie in with the movie continuity.

If the game quality sucks, than the developers should've done a better job, but that doesn't mean the concept exploits the franchise.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars games > Star Wars movies
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrrrr.... I have beef with anyone who says the Clone Wars cartoon is not canon.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOPACE.PLT > LUKE SKYWALKER
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've played Kotor 1 and in the process of finishing off Kotor 2, that game is so damn confusing it gives me migranes, it's not hard to play, but the storyline makes my head nearly explode. that and there's a few bugs, definately not one of Lucasarts better titles. The Dark Forces and Jedi knight series, i agree are very close to canon, I started reading the NJO books last week, i'm nearly done Star By Star. Only two chapters left, and i started it yesterday.

I'm not sure if Lucas has an active role in the production of these games, but I'm sure that he reads the scripts and approves the story before the game is made. Who knows, he may even play the odd game when he's not too busy making money.

The only recent games I've played were Battlefronts 1 and 2. I've played many of the older ones such as TIE Fighter, X-Wing, a little bit of XW vs TF, Dark forces 1, 2, Jedi Knight 1, 2, and 3 (Jedi Academy) Star Wars Rebellion (it's a good game really!)Shadows, Rogue Squadron. and I'm sure there two or three i can't remember right now.

As for the clone wars cartoon, it has tie ins to the movies so it must be canon, for example: I wondered why General Greivous was hacking and wheezing through the movie, and I found out why by watching clone wars.

Cartman, is TOPACE your X-Wing Alliance pilot?

My pilot, Ooga Magooga is better than Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles, and Darth Vader all rolled into one. He's personally vaped more TIEs than all of Rogue Squadron combined.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps