Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Video Game Canon... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Video Game Canon...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:

I'm not sure if Lucas has an active role in the production of these games, but I'm sure that he reads the scripts and approves the story before the game is made.

Actually, he's said that with the exception of Zahn's Heir to The Empire trilogy, he has not kept up (as he was too busy making the best movies EVAR!).

Lucas has said that nothing outside the movies is official- then many lucasarts sources said otherwise.

Who ya gonna belive there? [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind. TOPACE RULZ1
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood the almost desperate need to define something that you like as being "canon". I like the computer games et al, but making a list where TIE Fighter is put above KOTOR but below Heir to the Empire because that's the oder you like them is pointless.
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
Grrrrr.... I have beef with anyone who says the Clone Wars cartoon is not canon.

But, they're not. I mean, I like them. A lot. But Lucus has said that the movies are the only canon, and no sort of whining is going to change that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Clone Wars is canon. Tons of details happening exclusively in "Clone Wars" were carried over into the movie, in fact watching it is the only way to get proper backstory for the beginning of Ep.III. The director stood in constant contact with Lucasfim to get everything right. Supposedly they'll be making a 3d-version of CW in 2007 by Lucasfilm Animation.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at the Star Wars Chronology, which is probably one of the most canon Star Wars books, there is some information about the video games. "Dark Forces," for instance, is mentioned in the chronology and is considered part of the canon. I believe "Shadows of the Empire" is mentioned, but if not, I think the Dash Rendar storyline is also part of the canon.

Other games, such as "Rogue Squadron" and its sequels and the Episode I-III games, I'm not so sure. Since many of them deal with the major characters and not minor ones, it'd be a good bet to say that they're non-canon.

BTW, an interesting bit: Shadows of the Empire was a marketing test for the prequel movies. It was released in 1996 with multiple formats -- a video game, a novel, comic books, toys, a CD, even a "making of" book -- in order to see how it could be done for the future movies. The Special Edition served as a test to see what they could actually put on the screen.

--------------------
Meh

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the New versions pf EP 4 we see the Outrider in the distance on Tatooine. Since it's in the movies I would assume that the Dash Rendar storyline is in fact canon. There are other instances where things and characters from the EU were put in the movies to be made canon. The Juggernaught Tank was seen in the closing minutes of EP3. Before EP3 it was considered non-canon since it wasn't mentioned in any of the movies and in only a handful of the books (The Rogue squadron anthology)

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I believe Clone Wars is canon. Tons of details happening exclusively in "Clone Wars" were carried over into the movie, in fact watching it is the only way to get proper backstory for the beginning of Ep.III.

Which makes only those details (which apparently were contradicted in other "prequel to ROTS" book) canon. Just like seeing Outrider in ANH doesn't automatically make entire "Shadows of the Empire" canon.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly: the Outrider is piloted by Darth Edward Penishands in ANH- a evil cyborg clone of the original, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clone Wars is perhaps a bit unique, as it was written (the second season especially) to lead up to the third movie. Which makes it as close to canon as you're going to get. But as has been repeatedly stated, the only truelly canon stuff in Star Wars is the movies. If George was writing something that he was told would be contradicted by the games/books/t-shirts, he would have gone right over it (the Death Star construction, for instance, which has required some fairly large "fixing" to make it work with the books and the movie). If he were going to write an episode 7 and was told that he couldn't do something because it would conflict with Shadows of the Empire, he would not care. That, to me, makes it non-canon.

And using the Outrider's appearence to argue for the canonicity of SOTE makes as much sense as arguing that the Enterprise was honestly and truelly visiting Coroscuant during Episode 1. (BTW, where abouts in the film is that? I've never seen it.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in the dusk scene after Binks says "Gungans get pasted too, eh?", behind the bloated bun of Padme's hair, lots of merchant traffic passing on in the sky. It isn't really a ship but two ships that, when seen overlapping eachother, look like the engineering and saucer section of the Sovereign.

And anyway, since the Outrider was a conscious decision and the Sovereign-ghost was not, I'd say it ranks higher, but I see your point.

I have to say, though, that the prequels have been very generous in incorporating things from the EU and fans. Yoda's saber design was built by a fan who had shown his homemade hilt to someone on a convention, IIRC, and that someone was with Lucasfilm and managed to get it into the production for AOTC.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Oh yeah, there are lots of nice little homages. But to say that the Outrider was anything more than the ILM guys being "cool" is stretching things too far.

I thought that ILM confirmed they'd stuck the Enterprise in one of the background shots on Coruscant

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that, but the TOS Enterprise is in the rag tag fleet in the BSG mini series.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The "McQuarry Enterprise" zips past Amidallia's office several times on Courscant in episode one.
An intentional homage.
As is the police car from Blade Riunner in another scene...which would have been funny were it in Attack of the Clones.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
might be reason enough to watch episode 1 again

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why then, I wonder, do we consider things on LCARS screens in "Star Trek" to be canon--when sometimes they are barely to not at all visible--but not the Outrider from ANH?

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps