Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Video Game Canon... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Video Game Canon...
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different argument. The Outrider-type ship can be called canon, but that doesn't mean that Dash Rendar and the entire "Shadows" plotline exists.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could make the argument that even the movies themselves are not canon. Especially if one were named "Greedo"...
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Why then, I wonder, do we consider things on LCARS screens in "Star Trek" to be canon

Only if they are actually readable, and even then there can be exceptions (like certain Federation vessel from TNG flying with "diplomatic mission to Alderaan", or Archer's bio from "In the Mirror, Darkly", or [i]USS Pegasus crew "bios" from "These are the Voyages...")

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greedo was a woman! and the Tantive IV bridge had a star wars movie poster in it. You'd need a really big tv screen to see it tho.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, events that take place between Episodes II and III that happen in Battlefront II are listed in the starwars.com database as if they had "actually" occurred in the Star Wars chronology. Additionally, starwars.com states that the fan-created 501st Legion featured in Battlefront II was "adopted into official Star Wars continuity. In 2004, the 501st had roles in two Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn (Survivor's Quest and Fool's Bargain) and continued into Episode III: Revenge of the Sith..." This seems to suggest that novels are included in the Star Wars continuity. However, I suppose the worth of all this depends on how canonical the starwars.com database is considered to be.

quote:
Which makes only those details (which apparently were contradicted in other "prequel to ROTS" book) canon.
I did notice some contradictions between the events on Coruscant immediately prior to the start of Episode III as depicted in "Clone Wars" and as told in "Labyrinth of Evil". Specifically, details regarding the attempt to get Palpatine to safety and the encounter between Mace Windu and Grievous were somewhat different.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, Labirynth of Evil. Thanks.

Regarding Star Wars continuity... It's like that: There are two worlds, Lucas world, which are the movies, and the other world, which is everything else. Those are George Lucas words.

Last year he clarified that further when he said that "they" have decided to have two universes: his universe and "then this other one", just like in Star Trek (yes, he specifically mentions Star Trek).

On the other hand, good people of Lucas Licensing, which is a sub-divison of Lucasfilm tasked with making books and keeping them (and games, and everything else) as consistant with the movies as possible. Sometimes it requires frantic rewriting, like when George Lucas contradicted previuosly estabilished Boba Fett background (and, btw, he thinks Boba died in the ROTJ, but allowed him to "survive" in the books), Death Star construction circumstances, etc.

So, we have two worlds here... one is the movies, which are consistant only with each other, and then there's Expanded Universe, which starts with the assumption that everything described in the books, RPG materials, video games, etc, happened in their Star Wars chronology and works to keep everything consistant with each other.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference... whether you want to EU happening in the same world as movie world or not.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about discontinuity IN the movies.

I'm sorry but I still think that the 'older Anakin' should have been left in the ROTJ ghost scene. It was a nice wrap up to confirm that he had indeed returned to the light side... returned to being a Jedi, that Luke's faith that in him was still a good man was the truth.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

So do I, Andrew... so do I.

OK, anyway, replace "consistent" with "mostly consistent" [Big Grin] You know, it's the usual thing anyway... we sure know how many Trek episodes are inconsistant with each other, for example...

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well take Voyager itself - it's truly disgusting the amount of internal inconsistancey in the show and sometimes within the ONE EPISODE! Just shabby. They didn't care. By that point did they hire anyone as a continuity checker??

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Boba's death; I recall hearing Lucas (on one of the DVD commentaries I think) saying that he contemplated filming a coda to the Sarlacc sequence for the special edition, where we see Fett escaping the pit. I wasn't filmed because there's really no place in the movie to put it...unless you stick it at the end of the credits, but Star Wars movies aren't like that.
So he doesn't seam opposed to the idea of Fett living beyond RotJ.
Also if you look at it logically, the guy is in a heavily armed battle suit loaded with weaponary of all descriptions and he's stuck in a squishy desert worm. It doesn't take much imagination to see him making his way out.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Kazeite
Member # 970

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Regarding Boba's death; I recall hearing Lucas (on one of the DVD commentaries I think) saying that he contemplated filming a coda to the Sarlacc sequence for the special edition, where we see Fett escaping the pit.

"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting.

Boba Fett was just another one of the minions, another one of the bounty hunters and badguys. But, he became such a favorite of everybody's that, for having such a small part, uh he had a very large presence. And now that his history has been told in the first trilogy, y'know, it makes it even more of a misstep that we wouldn't make more out of the event of his defeat, because most people don't believe he died anyway.

I'd contemplated putting in that extra shot in where he climbs out of the hole, but y'know I figure that's... it doesn't quite fit, in the end."

As far as I can tell, Lucas' all "Fett's dead, baby... Fett's dead."

And I mean, come one, sure, this guy's heavily armed, sure, but without knowing the gory details we can't tell wether he could've escaped or not [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

To me that sounds like - well I'd put in that he was alive if we could fit it in, but we couldn't.

I'm sure there will be more special editions. [Smile]

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

Oh yeah, and there's still that scene in Cloud City with Han firing first and unprovoked at Vader... it definitely needs changing [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

Um... double post [Embarrassed]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

LOL... should have been Greedo in the movies instead of Han. LOL Greedo/Leia love! [Smile]

"I love you..."
"Hoochuuda wadda"

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.