Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Video Game Canon... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Video Game Canon...
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing: even if Star Wars universe has grown beyond Lucas... so what? Star Trek franchise grew beyond Gene Roddenberry, and Trek books still aren't canon.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and until George gets assimilated and installed as Borg ambassador to Earth, his name will be Lucas.
Only his wife gets to call him Lucus, in bed. The same place in wich Liam demands to be called "Lord Mountbatten", if I'm not mistaken.

I think "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight" is pretty deserved of being ranked high in the canon-swamp, as it did have pretty nice and costly cutscenes with great makeup and prosthetics.
The actors weren't too shabby either, I've seen three of them (Bennet Guillory, Valerie Wildman and Christopher Neame) in TV shows and stuff both before and after. To me, it ranks just below CW.

Of course, Katarn has never been favored by the movies, only some books.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Why then, I wonder, do we consider things on LCARS screens in "Star Trek" to be canon

Only if they are actually readable, and even then there can be exceptions (like certain Federation vessel from TNG flying with "diplomatic mission to Alderaan", or Archer's bio from "In the Mirror, Darkly", or [i]USS Pegasus crew "bios" from "These are the Voyages...")
Why can we pick and choose? Archer's bio from "In the Mirror, Darkly" was perfectly readable for anyone of us with an HDTV and a DVR or Tivo.

We cant pick and choose what we want to belive -- whats on the screen is canon or it is not. This isnt Christianity and the bible.

zing.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's the point, really. We can pick and choose what we want to believe. It's just that unless we decide that 'canon' means one thing and not another, it becomes a word without value. And the publicly agreed upon definition should probably be the one that Lucas and the producers have set out.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me Star Wars is told in the fashion of a myth or legend like Greek mythology. If you know anything about Greek mythology, you know it has several inconsistences and multiple versions of certain stories. In this sense Star Wars has inconsistences because of the epic scale of the stories within the universe and the fact the authors of these stories want to focus more the plot and are not worried about little technical details.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excpt that comparing Star Wars to Greek Mythology is like comparing a book of cliche's to MacBeth.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars books are MY Bible. Star Wars was sent by the Force itself!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One more thing: even if Star Wars universe has grown beyond Lucas... so what? Star Trek franchise grew beyond Gene Roddenberry, and Trek books still aren't canon.
My point was that Trek continued in the form of TV shows independent of Roddenberry's direction and, up until the Clone Wars series, Star Wars had been continued in written form, independent of Lucas' direction. Regardless of the form the story took, control of the franchise had been officially handed over to other people.

Isn't the reason why Star Trek books aren't canon because (up until recently) they were still making Trek TV series and movies? I believe that the Trek writers didn't want future episodes or series to be restricted by the novel writers and therefore the books were declared non-canon. In Lucas' case, however, he deliberately limited the time-span and the number of his stories in the Star Wars universe, with no intention of personally continuing the story.

Since Lucas has decided to retire from Star Wars, will the upcoming TV series not be considered canon?

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I want Berman and Braga to do the Star Wars TV series.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then we all kicked Jason in the nards.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just kicking? Awww, *drops baseball bat*

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
My point was that Trek continued in the form of TV shows independent of Roddenberry's direction

Yes, because he passed the mantle to Rick Berman.

quote:
and, up until the Clone Wars series, Star Wars had been continued in written form,
So was Star Trek. You are confusing books with TV shows.

quote:
Isn't the reason why Star Trek books aren't canon because (up until recently) they were still making Trek TV series and movies?
No. They aren't making any series and movies now, and books still aren't canon.

quote:
I believe that the Trek writers didn't want future episodes or series to be restricted by the novel writers and therefore the books were declared non-canon. In Lucas' case, however,
he contradicted Star Wars books several times now.

quote:
Since Lucas has decided to retire from Star Wars, will the upcoming TV series not be considered canon?
Maybe. Time will tell.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably will be canon, as it probably will be handled mainly in-house (ILM, Lucasfilm).

Is "Young Indiana Jones" considered canon Joneslore?
I think Harrison Ford was in at least the pilot, but then again, Chewie and Fett was in the "Christmas special" and that isn't considered canon.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Christmas special on tape. I watched about a half hour of it about 7 years ago. I haven't had the courage to go back and finish watching it yet.

B.J.

(My eyes! My eyes! They burn!)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's horrid. Though, if you actually take the overall plot (Han and Leia returning to Kashyyk with Chewie for an important day) it's not really so far out of the realm of possibility. Maybe we just saw the story as told by a retarded Wookieling.

I would consider YIJ as part of the "real" story. At least one episode is packaged with the movies (Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). I don't think Harrison Ford was in the pilot, but he did show up in one of the episodes, retelling a childhood adventure to someone.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps