Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Video Game Canon... (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Video Game Canon...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Is there anything you can't find on Wiki?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stream-of-consciousness time again...

"Shadows" was a novel, PC game, console game, comic book series, set of action figures, set of model kits, pop-up book, soundtrack CD, and "making of..." book. Was there anything else?

The CG artists who worked on the Mos Eisley air traffic mentined that they specifically and intentionally put in the Outrider, and not some generic YT-2400.

Much as I like what Tim Zahn added to the SW universe, he got a lot of details wrong. In some cases, he was simply parroting what West End Games had (erroneously) established back c.1980-82 regarding Super Dtar Destroyers and lightsabers, but where he really screwed up was "Rogue Squadron". No such critter. When Red Leader died at the battle of Yavin, Red 2 (Wedge) moved up to command Red Squadron in his place. All Luke did was command the ground-effect airspeeder squadron Rogue Group in the defense of the Hoth base. Given his background on Tatooine, this was more his area of expertise.

I am so incredibly honked off by the new background for Boba Fett. I very, very, very much prefer the origin given in Marvel's Star Wars series way back when.

I know someone with an editing rig, and I'm splicing together my "definitive edition" Trilogy. ESB is pretty much cool as is with the new DVD. With Jedi, I'm taking all the DVD stuff (even that horrid "Jedi Rocks" number -- like the extra footage of Oola and the other dancers) and retaining the previous "special edition" ending, with Sebastian Shaw, and trying to trim out the intercutting with the celebrations on Tatooine, Coruscant, and Cloud City. Star Wars is hard. Most of it I'm cool with as far as the DVD goes, but I've restored the original version of Han shooting Greedo, and cut out the bad CG of Luke's initial entry into Mos Eisley (no Rontos or swoop). I wish I had the capacity to do new CG for Obi-Wan's death and Boba Fett's escape. Wish also I had access to the cut footage, like Luke and the vaporators, the reunion with Biggs, the sandstorm, etc.

See... What one watches in the cinema is one thing. When I'm home, I have ready access to food, drink, and potty, and would much rather see the whole story. Love the extended editions of the LotR DVDs. [Smile]

We saw a couple YT-1600s in Ep II. Do you want to claim they're both the Millennium Falcon.

And the poster on the Tantive IV bridge was a Playboy pin-up.

Aban -- "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the first movie, not a YIJ ep.

The Ewok movies took place before Jedi. The destruction of the Death Star II resulted in the complete ecological devastation of Endor. And incidentally, Cindel Towani showed up in the "Black Fleet Crisis" series.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...

First of all, those are YT-1300s, and we've seen another one, specifically identified as Millennium Falcon, in ROTS.

Second of all... Destruction of the second Death Star didn't result in devastation of Endor. I know that dr Saxton says so, but he's wrong. (he got DS II size wrong, for starters).

And, check out that page:
http://www.starwarslegacy.com [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Okay...

First of all, those are YT-1300s, and we've seen another one, specifically identified as Millennium Falcon, in ROTS.

Whoops. Teach me to make a post with a stuffy head. And I knew about the Falcon in RotS -- I was making a point about the two we saw in that one shot of AotC (they obviously couldn't BOTH be the Falcon).

quote:
Second of all... Destruction of the second Death Star didn't result in devastation of Endor. I know that dr Saxton says so, but he's wrong. (he got DS II size wrong, for starters).

Cite evidence. Saying it ain't so does not an argument make. [Wink]

quote:
And, check out that page:
http://www.starwarslegacy.com [Smile]

Well! I'll have to scour through this site at greater length. Thanks for pointing me to it.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't, the large chunks either blew up individually or burned up in the atmosphere, because the alliance are the good guys.
Since it's not debatable*, suspend disbelief, the same way everyone suspends disbelief at the uncanny speed at which the space worm snaps its head after the fleeing Falcon. A creature that big would move like a building, not a sock puppet, but we accept it and instead focus on the crazy-funny idea of a worm in an asteroid.

*Of course it is debatable for leisure purposes but it won't have any bearing on the canon.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a giant worm.
in my pants, baby!
quote:
Much as I like what Tim Zahn added to the SW universe, he got a lot of details wrong. In some cases, he was simply parroting what West End Games had (erroneously) established back c.1980-82 regarding Super Dtar Destroyers and lightsabers, but where he really screwed up was "Rogue Squadron". No such critter. When Red Leader died at the battle of Yavin, Red 2 (Wedge) moved up to command Red Squadron in his place. All Luke did was command the ground-effect airspeeder squadron Rogue Group in the defense of the Hoth base. Given his background on Tatooine, this was more his area of expertise
Well, as Lucas himself actually read, made alterations and approved those first three books, I'd say it's as close to canon as possible.

Plus, theres about a million "Rogue Squadron" books, games and comic books at this point.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Cite evidence. Saying it ain't so does not an argument make. [Wink]

Well...

http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/endor/

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I will show in this detailed rebuttal, his conclusions are not supported by the canonical evidence. The "Endor Holocaust" could not have happened.
Besides the whole "it's not a real planet and it's only a movie" thing?

Really, these guys are nuts- look at that website that rabidly goes on and on about how a Star destroyer blowing up an asteroid "proves" that the Emprie would easily defeat anything from Star Trek....because their LASERS can destroy planets.

Man, if Lucas could give a fuck, it's not worth devoting large amounts of time to. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, how can the Ewok movies come before Return of the Jedi? They can speak English in the former.
Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewok's speaking english? Hmm. Maybe because it was intended for kids they did that so they wouldn't be confused. And so thier parents didn't have to read them the sub-titles. I had the unfortunate pleasure of sitting behind one guy in theatres during EP2 who had to read the sub-titles cuz of his 6 year old kid couldn't read.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Kazeite
Member # 970

I had the same problem when ep V was in theaters... Except that I was that 6 year old kid [Smile]

--------------------

Da_bang80
Member # 528

What age do kids usually learn to read? I was reading fairly well at age 4, is that early for most people?

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

In my case the problem was while that I could read subtitles, I couldn't read them fast enough, so, halfway through the movie I gave up and asked my father to read them for me. [Smile]

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Well, I remember I was reading the Hobbit in first grade (five years old), and doing so fairly briskly. I remember because I got in trouble for doing so instead of doing the "reading readiness" worksheet that had been handed out. Whatever.

My problem was when I saw the Star Wars Special Edition when it came out in '97, the twit in front of me HAD to read the opening crawl in a nice clear voice. Fortunately, I was there with about a half-dozen friends and we politely asked him to shut the hell up loudly and in unison.

It was ironic. All the major characters got applause and cheers at their first appearance, even the Falcon. But the reaction Wedge got left 'em all in the dust. The Cult of Wedge seems to be going strong...

--Jonah

--------------------

Da_bang80
Member # 528

I bet the Boba Fett Fans had a field day when he showed up in the Falcon/Jabba scene!

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.