Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » State of the Union... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: State of the Union...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I said 30 years of EU, I meant the years in the Star Wars Timeline. from ANH to NJO. Which I think is closer to 40 years if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
30 years of expanded universe? Uh, gotta disagree with you on that.
I think he was referring to the time span that the EU covers rather than how long writers have been contributing to the EU.

quote:
Has anyone noticed the similarities in the plots between the prequels and the original trilogies?...It just seems to me that plot for the prequels seems a little recycled.
I believe that this resemblence is very much deliberate, with the life of Luke Skywalker being a mirror image of the life of Anakin Skywalker except for a very crucial difference: Luke didn't turn to the Dark Side.

Even the Episode titles can be seen to be related.

"The Phantom Menace"/"A New Hope"
The names are nearly opposites. In one, there is a vague fear that the (former) utopia of the Republic is being threatened by some mysterious force, i.e., the reemergence of the Sith and their conspiracies. In the other there is hope now that the power of the evil Empire is being challenged by a different force, i.e., the Rebellion and the reemergence of the Jedi.

"Attack of the Clones"/"The Empire Strikes Back"
The names are almost synonymous, although the parties involved (the Republic and the Empire) are supposed to be idealogically opposed. In one, the Republic masses its armies and strikes against the forces that threaten it. In the other, the Empire masses its armies and strikes against the forces that threaten it.

"Revenge the Sith"/"Return of the Jedi"
Once again, the names are opposites. In one, the Sith reemerge and end up victorious after having been forced into hiding for years by the Jedi. In the other, the Jedi reemerge and win the day after having been forced into hiding by the Sith.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revenge of the Sith is also similar to Lucas early working title of Return of the Jedi. He had originally called it Revenge of the Jedi. But dropped it because Jedi don't seek revenge.

FYI: Lukes original name was Starkiller. Which is also the name used for an NPC character in Knights of the Old Republic, Bendak Starkiller.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
quote:
30 years of expanded universe? Uh, gotta disagree with you on that.
I think he was referring to the time span that the EU covers rather than how long writers have been contributing to the EU.
Yeah. That's only been 29 years. [Razz]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the clarification on the EU timeline.

Of course, now the EU expands about 30 years in both directions, with novels now being written detailing events before ANH

Da_bang80
Member # 528

What was the name of that prequel book where Anakin and Obi-Wan go to Zonama Sekot? Wasn't that book also written by R.A. Salvatore?

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rogue Planet. Greg Bear. He lives up here in the Pacific Northwest. I have a signed copy. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, this is totally gonna rock!

As long as it doesn't turn into serialized, rushed out the door garbage

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Like Episodes I, II, and III?

--Jonah

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outta' sight! You sure put a fresh spin on that one.

I miss the days when people remembered that monkeys + typewriters = occasional golden turd.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

As lon gas they don't go about Blurst-ing things.

I thought that EP3 was actually well writen (compared to the other 2) I actually started getting teary eyed when Anakin killed Padme.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's one poorly written bit right there. Remember that, according to the movie, Anakin didn't kill her. She died of a broken heart, or some shit.
Da_bang80
Member # 528

Pfft. That was Lucas' attempt to explain to the kiddies why anakin crushed her windpipe.

Anyone ever notice how at least one person in every movie get's a limb cut off or bisected?

EP1: Darth Maul
EP2: Anakin
EP3: Dooku/Anakin again
EP4: Ponda Baba
EP5: Luke
EP6: Anakin AGAIN!

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and although the excessive charring in Ep.III was a bit of a copout (give me the Cantina cranberry sauce any day), I'm glad they came through in the maiming tradition. And Anakin's vocal reactions to it in the end of III weren't exactly toned down.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I personally broke down when the mask was lowered onto Anakin's face for the first time. That look of sheer panic, the way the optics turned on, then the helmet coming down with the "thKUNG-squeeee" I remember so vividly from Empire. Than a pause. And then the first breath.

*sigh* I was a wreck.

But tht scene has to go. Along with most of Episode III. If we're to accept the Word of Lucas and watch them in numerical order (and all our progeny, too), seeing the downfall of Anakin while trying to save his pregnant wife blows the entire Original Trilogy out of space. All of Obi-Wan's misleading in Ep IV? Pointless. Vader's revelation in Ep V? Utterly eviscerated. And I seem to remember a certain part in Ep VI where Obi-Wan says, "When your father left, he didn't know your mother was already pregnant". Uh-DOI!

And while I'm at it, what the hell happened to, "I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born"?

Continuity, what?

--Jonah

P.S. The uniforms at the end of Ep III were the wrong colour.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.