Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Re-edits (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re-edits
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever looked at the re-edits of the Star Wars movies? There are apparently quite a few versions of the prequels. I am personally a great fan of MagnoliaFan's work on episodes one and two. The editing has been tightened, making the entire movie flow better. The music has been changed, and all of Jar-Jar's lines have been subtitled and changed. Basically, they make the movies much more enjoyable. Before episode three came out, I showed them at my school to some friends, and everyone thought them quite the improvement. It looks like Darth Editous has already redone episode four, attempting to recreate the original cut of the movie in DVD quality. Unfortunately, torrents of it are hard to come by. [Frown]
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to get a hold of The Phantom Edit (and Re-Edit) as well as Balance of the Force for over a year now, but my torrents always die.
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked out myspleen.net? That's where I got mine, but it was a while ago.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh I mentioned this a while back - I've always wanted to see the Phantom Edit - were they get rid of most of Annikin's cutesy stuff and subtitle Jar Jar to make him sound more wise - or something. Which it better - TPE or TPRE?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Omega
Member # 91

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_edit

Seems like you get to pick your Jar-Jar: non-existent, wise, or Solo. I like Solo, personally. [Smile]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently watched the two Phantom Edit movies ("re-watched" in the case of Episode I). I would, though, like to see the ones where they change Jar-Jar's lines. Haven't found any of them, though.

[ July 11, 2006, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a related vein, the best writing advice I ever got was from one of my scriptwriting professors. He said, "if you don't like something you've watched, don't just bitch about it -- get the script and rewrite it. See if you can do better." To that end, I've re-written a lot of things, from Star Trek II & III (minor, I promise) to Star Wars Episodes I, II, III, and VI. Oh, and Nemesis (*shudder*).

For TPM, I fused Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon into a single character, aged Anakin by about six years, had all the Gungans speaking in subtitles, and replaced the "Neimoidians" with Duros. I'm still working on titying up the ending so you're not having to follow three different plot threads climaxing simultaneously (woo!).AotC was mainly minor tweaks, the exception being the Geonosian origin of the Death Star. That had to go. RotS was the trickiest, as I had to have Anakin become Vader without the audience knowing it, so as to preserve the shock of the revelation in Empire.

Jedi was fun, though. I preserved a lot of the stuff from earlier drafts of the script. I didn't see them as the problems George did. There were two new Death Stars being built over Endor, which was a nature preserve moon orbiting Coruscant -- er, Imperial Center. The wookiees being used as slave labour to build the space stations were housed on the moon and denied any technological accoutrements, explaining their primitive state, etc., etc... I kept Wicket and Teebo, of course, as a couple of Wookiee cubs (or whatever they call their kids).

I, and others I've shown my work to, like what I've done. I have no hope of making them as movies, but I'd love to find a good Star Wars comic artist and turn him loose on 'em.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm so - I wonder if anyone could re-edit any of the Star Trek movies... Star Trek V?? Nemesis??

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you could salvage STV without reshooting some things, it would be a huge effort. Nemesis, however, I've long held could be a terrific movie with some editing (primarily the B4 shit).

I've seen the Phanom Edit. I thought I still had a copy of it, but I apparently lost that drive. It helped, but maybe not as much as I'd hoped. Among the better things was the subtitling for the Trade Federation. The audio tracks for those were garbled and reversed, but to my ear, they just sounded garbled and reversed and so not like an alien language. It was distracting. I'd be curious to see it with that dialogue replaced with some real voice acting.

Omega
Member # 91

I actually saw a re-edit of Star Trek V once. It was called "In Thy Image", I think. They edited the movie down to the length of an episode, as if it were the pilot for "Star Trek: Phase II". Unfortunately I'm not sure where I found it. I think it was the same place I got "The Matrix Dezionized", which made Reloaded and Revolutions into a single three hour movie by removing all Zion scenes. Worked quite well, really, aside from a couple really poor transitions.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In Thy Image" was the original title of the story that became Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I've seen a few people edit that down (back before the Director's Edition) to make up for the bad pacing and clunky scenes of the original theatrical release.

Are you sure you mean Star Trek V? The hijacking, the laughing Vulcan, the search for God, "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" and all that?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Omega
Member # 91

Yup, that one. Sybok is no longer Spock's brother, and the entire camping thing is gone, as are the rocket boots. Admittedly this loses some of the better character moments, but it's still a better story that way.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...the rocket bots were baaaaaaaad.

The scene with nakd old-ass Uhura has to go- as does the "scotty bumps his head" crap.

Hmm...the more I consider it, the entire thing is shit and should be replaced with...anything else.

Even the new KBOP bridge with it's periscope is awful.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hmmm, would love to have a crack at this...

Don't know which angle to play up - that the entire movie after they go to sleep in Yosemite is ACTUALLY a collective dream??

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, there Is the Vader Sessions...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps