Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » 9/12/06 DVD release - Classic Trilogy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 9/12/06 DVD release - Classic Trilogy
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. My question about format, though, was specifically about whether it would be on DVD, or either of the next-gen formats, or some combination thereof.

re Holiday Special, assuming one isn't up for looking for torrents, you can piece together some of it on YouTube, if you're so inclined.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I want, we'll probably never get. The '97 Special Editions on DVD. I have them in VHS widescreen, ripped onto my hard drive to preserve the tapes as long as possible. When I get a high-end DVD-burner, I may do so...

I'd love to have a good editing rig on my computer so I could mix'n'match. Put "Lapti Nek" back in instead of "Jedi Rocks"... Have Han blast Greedo without warning, get rid of the Jabba Scene, and Luke screaming like a girl as he plummets down Cloud City's GLPYA�* -- crap like that.

Shall we start a pool on what we think George'll do next?

--Jonah

*George Lucas' Patented Yawning Abyss

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I bet it'll be just different enough that we have to buy them all over again.

Being cheap I havn't bought the trilogy again - I let my sister do it instead! For me, the best thing was the original cover art, and the way they tried to photoshop in stills, to make new versions of the originals. What fun.

I have to say though, Lucas has done so much I can't remember what goes where anymore. The only thing for certain is that the Christmas Special will never see the light of DVD. Lucas has dismissed it so whole heartedly, I think that we can write it off for good. As far as I know, it was never shown in the UK, and since I don't have an NTSC compatable VCR or TV anymore, I can't be bothered to buy a copy. That... and that it's supposed to be poo.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What I want, we'll probably never get. The '97 Special Editions on DVD.
That's what I thought they were going to do for these new DVDs; have the original films on Disc 1, and the '97 editions on Disc 2. That would have made a hell of a lot more sense than to package the same exact 2004 editions that Lucas knew everyone presumably already had.

quote:
Shall we start a pool on what we think George'll do next?
In twenty years, when Hayden Christensen is somewhere around 45 years old, we'll get the "Ultra-Definitive Director's Cut Edition" of ROTJ, where Sebastian Shaw's face is digitally edited out, and Hayden's bald, scarred face & voice is re-inserted. Then, in the Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin spirit scene, we'll finally see HC at the age he should be.

Just try to prove me wrong.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully, by then I'll be running the Star Wars franchise. [Razz]

--Jonah

P.S. About the Holiday Special, it is poo, but good for two things. We see that Chief Bast (Tarkin's aide) bailed on his boss and survived, as he is helping Vader track the Rebels in the feeble framing story going on behind the different skits. And the animated bit from Nelvana featured the first appearance of Boba Fett and more of the interior of the Falcon. I have that section on my hard drive if you want me to send it to you... [Wink]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holiday Special underestimates the audience in some ways.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just seen the Boba Fett cartoon bit, in slightly better quality than the youtube version (must be off a better recording).

It's pretty funky, but I get the feeling that the animators were smoking something good before they got to the office that day...

As for the rest of the special - it's pretty obvious that it was just bashed out for Thanksgiving. The actors all seem to be waiting for their paycheque so they can get the hell out of there! Except Carrie Fisher - she's so pissed I wonder how she could stand up! Does explain the singing though.

I'm still to see it all, but what I've seen is pretty shocking. No wonder Lucas wants to distance himself from it. Or anybody else for that!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

She wasn't drunk. She was higher than a kite on cocaine. Glad she got through that.

Kenner made prototypes for most of the major elements of the Holiday Special -- mainly Chewie's family and Chewie himself in Life Day robes, plus a couple others. Boba Fett was the only one to actually get made.

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps