Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Fan Lightsabre Duels (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fan Lightsabre Duels
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, heard about The Injured Stormtrooper elsewheres and thought that was great. Found Star Wars: A Lost Hope through that. Plus I mean, I just listened to that whole podcast with you.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Well, thanks. Glad you enjoyed them.

Also, Fig just called me this afternoon to ask if I'd like to be on this Sunday's show, which I said yes to, if you're interested. If you listen live, you can participate in a chat room as the show goes on, if you're into that sort of thing.

www.geekza.com for info and links and such.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the people who created this lightsaber campaign just did a sequel. Check it out!!

http://www.ryanvsdorkman.com

I have to say they out did themselves this time. The last saber duel was devoid of sparks that should be there when Lightsabers hit metal objects and stuff like that. There's a cool effect when one of them runs their blade through a pool of water.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, that would be the sequel I mentioned awhile back. It is an excellent job on their part, well choreographed and well shot.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good - but in the beginning the fighting is a little 'slow' and 'calculated' like they are still learning. The editing and the fighting was much better in the first one - much faster and more suspenseful. Did anyone think the sabres were a LITTLE thin?? I'm not 100% sure on that one. I love the sabres through the concrete etc. though - really well done.

The soundtrack was REALLY good.

The ending was really well done too - I was waiting for that other guy to come back like the first one! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The overly bombastic intro sequence missed the mark if they were aiming for "mock"-pretentiousness.
Yes, I also liked the CG bits and thought the slack in the editing makes it look like they stop to think every three seconds, also they stand in hugging distance too often.
Then again, the final fight in ROTS has the same problem, too neat and over-planned moves most of the time. The Dooku-fight I liked, though.

Note to Dorkman: Get contacts.
Note to Ryan: Stop wearing T-shirts three sizes too big (better yet, stop wearing T-shirts in Star Wars movies entirely).

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just rewatching it - the first 30 seconds - the coreography is REALLY annoying... it's like they are moving in slow mo... the movements are all staid and purposeful - not like they are at the height of a life-or-death duel like the first one. The punch with the forearm and the second and third punches are really lame the guy getting hit just moves in sympathy to the blow instead of reacting to it. Anyone else see what I mean?

More reactions:

The guy in black - Dorkman - the way he does the blows and reacts is like he is in some really bad ballet or musical!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem even with hardcore professionals like Sho Kosugi (in his 80's ninja movies) or even the esteemed Dolph Lundgren; they choose overly complicated moves which a real person fighting to the death would never bother with and which is not logical.
Like all the fights with the albino twins in "Matrix Reloaded"; they put their razor blade to the throat of all the main characters at least once but never cut.

That said, I'm glad Dork&Ryan are still trying, seeing as they don't seem to have any real fight training or moviemaking experience.
Pretty sneaky, though, not charging for the movie but selling a "soundtrack" and "making of"-video. That's skirting pretty close to the edge of trademark law.

Now, here's an example of a realistic fight scene with good, bread-and-butter actors.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well in the first one their blows were more 'realistic' or their reactions to them... and i think the editing was better in the first one - more urgency. Still a great job, yes.

Still love the sabre through the walls - it is something that I wish they did more of in the movies.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to RvD3, when they put it all together.

And for fighting styles, look into keysi.

I'm using everything I've learned from European fencing, three different Japanese fencing styles, tai chi sword forms, and h2h methods I've learned over the years to develop my own ultimate efficient Jedi fighting form. It's coming along nicely, and I hope one day I'm actually in a fan film of my own. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...they choose overly complicated moves which a real person fighting to the death would never bother with and which is not logical."

To be fair, it's meant to look cool, not realistic.

Nim
Member # 205

Yes and we all love it but you only get away with intricate moves if you can make it look serious and intense instead of like posing or "here, I'm giving you my hand please take it".

Which is why "Crouching Tiger" works and "Karate Kid 2" doesn't.

Another example: I thought Hayden Christensen looked very good in the early Dooku fight of ROTS. Tight and focused.
Now, it ends in a split second with his strange reach-around wrist chopping of the Count, which is unorthodox and without precedent in earth fencing styles (since it would take too much heft with metal but is just fine with an energy blade).
It's over so fast you almost don't have time to catch it the first time around, you just accept that it must've happened because the Count obviously don't have any hands anymore.
When it almost can't get any suaver Anakin catches Dooku's saber with his offhand and crosses the sabers at his throat.
The only way to top that would be if he'd also slashed Dooku's belt buckle and pulled down his pants.
But always there's that flow, that rhythm that needs to be there.

I guess 60% lies in editing and 40% in good rehearsal and chemistry.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't like the way Anakin cut off Dooku's arms. Nor did I like the way Dooku took out Anakin's. In both cases the "victims" kind of "stopped" present a "slash me here" sign to the opponent.

When you compare how Darth Maul took down Qui Gon Jinn, and also nearly took out Obi Wan as well, it was in a way which was, in a word, overpowering. Even the way Dooku took down Obi Wan in Ep II was also impressive.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

OnToMars
Member # 621

The guys were on the Geekza podcast the other week, if you're interested in hearing some of the behind the scenes info, check it out. Also, as you'll see on the main page and as I just found out, we/they're going to do a video interview with George Takei sometime this week to be released on the April 1st show.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps