Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » NON-SPOILER opinions of Phantom Menace (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NON-SPOILER opinions of Phantom Menace
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it was 10:00 in the morning on a day when only one district had the day off, I suppose I was right in suspecting how empty it would be...

Well, here I go on my little tangent...

It was fantastic. And nothing short of it, I assure you.

There were many memorable scenes and great parallels to Episodes 4, 5, and 6. I really liked that.

Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman were just fabulous. I really hope they get more in the future. Their characters fit, so it was more believable. I just couldn't get over those two. Incredible. Liam Neeson was okay, but I really didn't enjoy him as much as the first-mentioned two.

The visuals were the best I've ever seen. A few were worse than others, but they were all aces. ILM certainly outdid themselves on this one!

Surprisingly, I liked Jar-Jar. Now, I knew I'd be able to tolerate him, but I actually, really enjoyed his presence a lot!

Yes, I'm relieved to know it's "Ani" (as per subtitles) and not how Sol spelled it!

There were many moving parts if you're that type. I think they picked the best actors for the jobs.

Amazing writing came out in the last half, which was, in my opinion, better than the first; they blended through scenes rather well, and there were a lot of high moments!

I liked the mystery elements. Period. Well done.

To comment on a few already-made comments...

First of all, I ratehr liked how it ended. It leaves you in that state where you want more. That's the goal. I want Episode 2! I think they achieved their goal.

It started quickly, but never relented, while still focusing on what makes it all Star Wars. Sure, it was different, but so was the entire basis they had for the film!

Just great. Nothing much more I can say, except: "Sorry, all you critics, but you really messed up when you reviewed this one!"

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on May 20, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! How could I forget!

I find it surprising that no one has commented on the music yet. It just blew me away. It was tense, but fun. I loved it. It brought the movie up just another couple of notches, but I'm not sure if that's possible. It's a great job by John Williams, as usual. It's a nice blend of the old and the new. Or is that the old and the older?

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just to add one final sandbag to our Star Wars balloon...

Some of Jar Jar's "comedy" seemed to be directly copied from episodes of "Full House."

"How wude!" *shudder*

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Public Radio, alot of the music was Mr. Williams "borrowing" from older works, but they seemed to like the score overall, and loved "Anicans Theme" which they played nad I loved it too.

------------------
PARTURITION

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinculo, you are really doing yourself a disfavor by not seeing this movie. It is really well done, and in my personal opinion, you'll forget about the cgi effects. I honestly did myself. I could hardly tell which was real and what was cgi.

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother, who works long hours and likes Star Wars, asked me to go see the film for my opinion. So I went to see the film yesterday.
I didn't enjoy the film.
My mother is going to see the film.
(Please note: I am not going to list the reasons why I didn't enjoy the film. And I didn't list my reasons to my mother. I will just say this-Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is a children's film.)

IP: Logged
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So were all the others, but I enjoyed them all the same. I still watch "Bugs Bunny" too.

------------------
PARTURITION

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I admit that there could have been a little more drama TPM is not a kids show. I really enjoyed it and I will probably go see it a few more times.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always founf that the remark 'it's a childrens show/film' is a bit condacending. My parents wonder why I watch the Simpsons, saying 'it's a kids show'

What is a children's show/film? The Simpsons, Animaniancs? Best Wars (a show aimed at selling toys to children) has several thigns aimed at an adult mind.

So again, what do you mean by 'a kid's film'? It wasn't dark, depressing, and had lot's of people sitting around talking in smokily lit rooms about Heroin addiction?

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if I had to give it a rating, I'd give it 4.5/5. It was a well produced moive, but it seemed a little rushed and the plot was out in the open. I pretty much opened and close like A New Hope, and the CGI was excellent, but I guess I've been wathcing too much Babylon 5 to enjoy the plot. It just wasn't deep enough. Character devolpoment was nearly non-existant, except for Qui-Gon and Anakin. The way Lucas explained the Force was OK, but it could have used a little work.

The best parts were easily the Lightsaber battles and the CGI, but there wasn't a whole lot of story, but it did spread the seeds for Episode 2 and 3.

So overall, it was a good movie. Better than Insurrection was.

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5 Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The film is for children. This is its intended audience. (Read the statements made by G. Lucas.) I accept the film on those terms. I have never been a fan of comics or Saturday morning cartoons. If you are an adult who grew up with this fare, then I can see you liking the film. It is a reminder of childhood-the dreams of becoming more than a boy or girl who lives in a nice safe home and becoming a hero that has to face dangers and excitement. I have never had these dreams.
I am not here to critique the elements of the film for they work. They work together to make a film that is enjoyable for those I have already mentioned. I don't belong in that group and the film didn't work for me. That is all I am saying.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it yesterday, and I must say that it was spectacular. It sets up what is to come nicely. I loved Palpatine's line at the end to Anakin.

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm amazed. Simply amazed. I have heard the critics reviews of TPM saying it is a child's show and the acting wasn't so good and it wasn't worth the hype and this that and the other, but basically, what I feel, is that these new three Star Wars movies are for the fans. If you are a newcomer to Star Wars, you are not going to get it. Plus The Phamtom Menace is Act One of three acts. It is an incomplete experience. But as a hard core Star Wars fan from way back when I persuaded my parents to buy me the toys that could be afforded, I left the movie with a buzz. I will agree that the Jar Jar character was a bit unbearable, but even the other characters admited that much. I paid very close attention to the subtle details that a non-fan would dismiss. This movie is the introduction of a more complete whole. If it were a novel, we have already read the book from the middle to the end, and now we read the first part. In and of itself, TPM probably doesn't fare well. But understanding its placement in the Star Wars story helps to give it more importance than the stand-alone plot could ever hope to achieve without the other episodes.
I don't think the cgi took anything away from the movie. As a matter-of-fact, it allowed us to see some things as they might truely be. It put us directly into the SW universe without us having to stretch our imaginations too far. Jar jar was annoying, and some of the aliens were hard to understand. But shouldn't they be? Isn't that more realistic than having everything easy. I can name some people that annoy me. I can tell you that I hear spanish everyday without understanding a word of it. All that I didn't mind. It was fair. The only thing that did bother me was the fact that chance was the good-guys biggest help. This made things a little bit too easy for the good-guys, but maybe that's the Force working its majic.
The movie was fabulous. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And I wanted to say that as an adult watching Star Wars from an analitical mind, it is hokey as well. But there are so many subtle foreshadowing elements in Star Wars that you would miss the first time around. All of these hidden clues I didn't catch until I saw the other episodes (and A New Hope)--repeatedly. I think the same is going to be true for the first three movies. I think we will watch Episode II and say, "So that's what they were talking about in the first one." It's inevitable.
It's Lucus.
And it's one hell of a ride.

------------------
Think of it this way, at least we will be in prison together.
Tom to B'Lanna, upon reaching Earth and and being arrested by Tuvok.

Voyager
Ex-Member

I just saw it Saturday at 3:00pm.

I thought it was great. The plot just seems a little wierd because the movie is setting up the whole outline for the other five movies. It was better than my expectations could ever have been. The characters , the ships, the special effects/ graphics , and even the plot were excellent. I recommend seeing this movie at least three or fours times while it is still in theaters.

------------------
One silly, twice foolish. -Dr. Weaver, ER

The Excalibur
Member # 34

I was there Saturday at 4:00. I loved the film. The only things I didn't like were Jar Jar, and the robot armies answers to commands. That is where the childish reviews are comming from. I think it would have been a little more realistic if Anican had been older.
Over all I will give it four out of five stars, and I will see it again before it leaves theaters.

------------------
PARTURITION

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps