Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) $$$$$$$$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) $$$$$$$$$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
But the Y-Wings had ion cannons as standard armament in the X-Wing PC Game.

In a lot of other games, novels, and comics as well. And they they were equipped on a lot of vehicles and installations.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the movie online and just watched the first two episodes tonight. Overall much better than I expected. It is what it is, a Star Wars series targeted at the 7 to 12-year-old crowd.

Definitely will keep watching, even if it continues, in my opinion, the lackluster trend the prequel trilogy set. I mean, if this is the best the droid army can do then why was there even a war?

I did hate the overt references to the movies. I hope that doesn't continue with every episode.

How many seasons is this expected to last? Shoehorning it between Episodes II and III really limits the amount of story time available.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
quote:
But the Y-Wings had ion cannons as standard armament in the X-Wing PC Game.

In a lot of other games, novels, and comics as well. And they they were equipped on a lot of vehicles and installations.
Personally, I don't go looking beyond the movies. Besides, even if the Y-Wings did have ion cannons, it doesn't mean they can take out three huge cruisers in one shot! They did call it a super weapon after all, not a new *type* of weapon.
Why am I debating the technical minutae of a kids' show anyway?

quote:
I did hate the overt references to the movies. I hope that doesn't continue with every episode.

I kinda liked it myself, especially seeing the two droids in the ion cannon's beam tunnel.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the newest episode on Friday, and I am re watching it now. I think those "retro" Y-wings look pretty cool. It's nice to see what they originally looked like. I always thought they were ugly, but these look sleek and beautiful.

The only real problem I have with the episode is during the scene with the Y- Wings attacking the Malevolence. They veer upward to avoid the Ion Cannon o' Doom, and seem to have trouble doing so, akin to a plane trying to fly vertically. The engines even sound as if they're strained. And, when one of them loses engine power ( due to combat damage), it "falls" downward, hitting one of it's brethren, and blowing both to smithereens. This is space for god sakes! The laws of gravity normally don't apply...

But yeah, that's just ranting. It was pretty good overall.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the ships were accelerating, an engine failure would cause that ship to stop accelerating (its momentum would continue carrying it at whatever speed it was already doing). Since the other ships would still be speeding up from behind it, from their point of view it would give the impression of the damaged ship "falling" back toward them.

Does anyone know what the chronology of this show is supposed to be? Because Grievous was coughing. I thought the reason he coughed in Episode III was because of the the whole chest-crushing scene at the end of the other Clone Wars series. And I thought Episode III was supposed to pick up pretty much immediately from where that series left off. So, was the coughing just thrown in as a reference to the movie? Should we assume he had a cold, or something?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there was always something in character history that said the cybernetics didn't interface with his biological system very well. The chest crunching scene was put in I think because they made him too much of a hard bastard in the first series (based only on early concept work I think), before Lucas & co made him into the joke he was in the movie.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is only one rule for Hard Bastards: Don't run away, make others run away.

Grievous could've become some unholy, unbeatable jedi-killer that demanded a spectacular deus ex machina to kill, like the jedi council doing a "Force Storm" or dropping a capital ship on his head, not a gutshot any clone-grunt could've made. Shit, R2-D2 could've murdered Grievous, using the same oilpiss-maneuver that killed the battledroids in the hangar.

Yes, I heard they intended to add the Grievous-cough even before the chest-crush, to differentiate him from droids and make him organic.
It actually didn't work, while I was leaving the movie theater after the swedish premiere of ROTS there was a Herbert walking next to me, saying "The whole movie was so silly, like that robot that was coughing, what the hell where they thinking?!"

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to the tactical staff: When combating or fleeing a super weapon that only points in one direction it is best to get your ships out of the line of fire AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE BEFORE the weapon fires. If you are in a squadron/fleet of ships trying to avoid said weapon, break up and fly in different directions. This will greatly increase the odds of survival for some of the ships.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I have gripe with their shameless use of Venators. It would have been nice to see the Rep Navy's gradual transition from relying solely on Acclamators to moving on to Venators.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we're seeing a tiny percentage of the war and it's hardware, so it can hardly be said to be representative of the entire fleet.

As for the Acclamators, weren't they essentially just armed troop transports anyway?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Troop Transports that could attack ships of equal or greater size and land in water.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Land in water? Where'd you get that from?

Anyway, it was pretty sweet seeing the "new" Y-Wings in action. My only (minor) quibble was that they didn't have their distinctive "humm" from ANH. Instead, they whined a lot like the X-Wings.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

In Chapter 5 of the short Clone Wars cartoons, Acclamators land in the oceans of Mon Calamari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t97R-5lO-D8

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My only (minor) quibble was that they didn't have their distinctive "humm" from ANH. Instead, they whined a lot like the X-Wings.
It sounds like they whined even in A New Hope (at 4:19 and 5:08).

Edit: Lol! Chip and Dale.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Did anyone else notice the Gonk-gonk? [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps