Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) $$$$$$$$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) $$$$$$$$$
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Does anyone know what the chronology of this show is supposed to be?

I believe this series is supposed to take place between season 1 of the cartoon and season 2. Season 2 started with a brief montage of events that happened between the two seasons (e.g., the war continues, Anakin changes his hair, his face is scarred, etc.). The use of Jedi starfighters that are modified forms of the wedge-shaped fighters rather than the Episode III starfighters, as well as the use of the original clone armor, supports this. Season 2 of the cartoon was only supposed to cover the final months of the war.

quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
How many seasons is this expected to last? Shoehorning it between Episodes II and III really limits the amount of story time available.

I think the show is supposed to last about 100 episodes. Thus far it seems like the episodes have covered about a day of action each. If you assume that some episodes overlap, the series could cover less than a year of time.

My biggest problem with the show's chronology is its apparent contradictions with the "Star Wars Republic" comics. In the comics, Anakin received his scar from Ventress in the last couple months of the war. In response, Anakin drops Ventress off a building. She is presumed to be dead until one final confrontation in the last weeks of the war. By the time of this particular comic, several clones had already been seen in Episode III style armor. The way the Clone Wars series is turning out, with Anakin already having his scar, Ventress being a regular villain, and the clones wearing Episode II style armor, the show appears to be set about halfway through the war rather than at the end of it. This is somewhat irritating considering how much pride the Star Wars franchise takes in maintaining continuity between the novels, comics, movies, and games. Other than that, I really have enjoyed the show.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I really enjoyed Star Wars Republic a lot more. I think they had better pacing in the transition from Episode II tech to Episode III tech.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found something really sentimental in CW!

I've just started going through this series, and in the third episode, at 6:26, a small flute theme is playing as the republic ship is preparing to launch Y-Wing fighters. That theme is taken directly from Lawence Holland's "TIE Fighter" PC game soundtrack (what I remember as part of the "mission briefing"-music).
Having played through some of those 90 minute missions, I've been listening through many loops of midi music, and this isn't something I'd forget. :.)

If anyone could help me verify it, I'd be very glad.

I just got a massive flashback of TIE/A squadrons and burning cargo-containers. Oh the nostalgia.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed the one mission where you're trapped in a minefeild in a TIE Interceptor, doing a test for Admiral Zaarin or Zarrin or whatever, it's been almost 18 years since I've played the game.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody here ever played the Rogue Squadron games?
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried one of them, where you could unlock a Naboo fighter, but I got tired of it after about 4 missions, after failing some damn timer in a city strafing raid somehow, for the 10th time. Not my cup of tea, I prefer the dark void.
Nim
Member # 205

I liked X-Wing Alliance, though, and there's a team who's remaking all the ships, fighters and stations (both models and textures) into 2008 standards.
They are about 60% done, but you can download the partial upgrades at any time. Ironically the best and coolest ship in the game, the new YT-2000 Otana, is the only main player ship they aren't finished with, so I don't want to try it yet.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Played Rogue Squadron on the old N64 and RS2 on the Cube. They were ok, I didn't much care for the control scheme.

Is Nim referring the the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project? I'm suprised they're still plugging away at it, I stopped paying attention a few years ago.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, they've taken it very slowly, they're not getting paid and it's on their spare time, but ("fortunately" is the wrong word) there hasn't been any other recent Star Wars flight simulator, so I'll still try it out when the main char's ship is ready.

As I said earlier, Star Wars: Knights of the old Kotor 2: The Sith Lords has its own restoration project due to Obsidian having had to mutilate the game right before the premature release, to disable the stuff they hadn't finished, and the boys and girls at Team Gizka have been at it ever since. They are much closer than XWA in completing it, and the incremental stuff is good enough for an enjoyable playthrough.

Both teams' forums are still very much alive, and both of them are also talking about this new "The Old Republic" MMO.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, the problem with taking that long on an 'update' project is that by the time their done, the earlier models they finished would look almost as dated as the originals, computer graphics being what they are.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

Thing is no one knows if LucasFarts will ever make another space combat game, so XWA might be all we'll have to work with.

Now that we're talking about it I'm craving XWA now. I might just track down my old disks and dust off the old flight stick. Damn you Nim!

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Yes, they've taken it very slowly, they're not getting paid and it's on their spare time, but ("fortunately" is the wrong word) there hasn't been any other recent Star Wars flight simulator, so I'll still try it out when the main char's ship is ready.

As I said earlier, Star Wars: Knights of the old Kotor 2: The Sith Lords has its own restoration project due to Obsidian having had to mutilate the game right before the premature release, to disable the stuff they hadn't finished, and the boys and girls at Team Gizka have been at it ever since. They are much closer than XWA in completing it, and the incremental stuff is good enough for an enjoyable playthrough.

Both teams' forums are still very much alive, and both of them are also talking about this new "The Old Republic" MMO.

I already know of team gizka but it seems they're also taking it slow. Oh well as long as they're doing a good job.
Nim
Member # 205

The Y-wing sequences of "Clone Wars" got me thinking about one of those XWA-missions where you had to fly your YT-2000 in a Gauntlet through a tight formation of Imperial SDs that jumped your rendezvous, I disabled my shields and weapons to get full speed and one or two turbolaser hits could kill me, it was such a rush.
Got my Thrustmaster Fox-2 in a box on a shelf, just waiting for that final Otana upgrade.

As for Team Gizka, I've played through Kotor 2 so many times it feels very predictable nowadays, I know exactly which gems and components to put in which sabers and give to which group members, at which time. Same with Diablo II, after the third pass through Arreat trench wars on Nightmare setting, there's nothing more to experience, screw the new additions of "runewords". I'm ready for part 3.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.