Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » 70 min. Phantom Menace Review (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 70 min. Phantom Menace Review
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't seen this already, I found it to be immensely funny and vastly entertaining. It's in 7 parts:

(part 1 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
(part 2 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1AWVLnl48
(part 3 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQwKPVGQsY
(part 4 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlG4T1S2lU
(part 5 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvp1r2UpiQ
(part 6 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWPCCzSgu0
(part 7 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIWKMgJs_Gs

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should suscribe to his channel, he's done reviews of all the later Trek films, Avatar and most of Star Wars. It's not only funny as hell, it's very well thought out and right on the mark.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RLM defiantly has some kick ass reviews of the ST movies. Their funny and the running rape/murder gag is great.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah this is fucking hilarious.
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that really hit home was the bit in the Phantom Menace review was the way he took apart the poor characterisation. He asked some of his friends to describe certain characters from the films without talking about their physical looks or job description, just how they come across as as people. When asked about Han or Liea or Luke or pretty much anyone from the first trilogy it's a piece of cake. When asked about Qui Gonn or Amidala or whatever you're really at a loss. It was an impressive demonstration of how character is really important and yet goes un-noticed if done correctly.

--------------------

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite bits is in his Insurrection review when he points out that Picard pushes only two buttons on the helm console of a shuttle craft and that somehow brings up the sing along lyrics to "A British Tar" but normal shuttle operational functions take a flurry of button commands.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how there are two Picards: the calm, wise man from the show, and the raging lunatic Picard seen in the films.

And how Janeway should be in a prison somewhere...

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what I like is that it seems like it might just be a dumb rant, but then it isn't. He adopts this loser persona (and SUPER creepy serial rapist/killer persona) and the delivery is so droll, but I find his criticisms are extremely well thought out for the most part, completely valid. Also it is apparent that he's truly a lover of the sci-fi.

I found him through the Phantom Menace review, but then watched the rest of his reviews. Great stuff. I'll maybe post links to the Next Generation movies in the Gen Trek Thread, but I still feel like this one is my favorite.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very funny, though I could definitely do without the cutaways and references to kidnapped hookers. That's just disturbing.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch episode 1 again.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok in small doses, but the silly voice starts to bother me after a bit. He's not wrong on most of the observations though. For my part, when it initially came out I can't say that I disapproved of the movie with the same vitriolic hatred as the fanboys. My reaction was more ambivalent, so I've never really taken the time to analyse what's wrong with it. Still, the observation about the lack of any central characters, either antagonist or protagonist seams quite apt.

I suppose it really should have been about Kenobi, but he had very little to do in the film and I suppose it doesn't help that Liam Neeson seamed to be doing an impersonation of Keanu Reeves on ketamine.

What amuses me is that if you watch the surprisingly candid behind the scenes doc on the DVD they as much as admit that they'd buggered it up and what we saw in the cinema was a post-damage control version. One has to wonder just how bad was that initial rough cut?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think originally it WAS supposed to be about Kenobi. Qui-Gonn was a late addition.

I realized there was something wrong with how Sidious was going about getting what he wanted. This guy's suggestion about sending the Jedi away and using them to advertise their plans is dead on though. That's exactly what Sidious should have done.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only watched the first 2 parts of this so far.

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Still, the observation about the lack of any central characters, either antagonist or protagonist seams quite apt.

Not to mention the lack of a lead villain. I mean, who is the lead villain in TPM? Darth Maul? Really? He only has 4 lines! Darth Sidious? Really? We only see him in holograms except for 1 scene with him and Darth Maul. And how many lines does Sidious have anyway?

quote:
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch episode 1 again.
I've not really been able to since 1999. OK, that's not true. I had a nice Star Wars marathon with all 6 movies on my anniversary a year or two ago. Still...

OK, time for me to watch part III.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...either antagonist or protagonist...

quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Not to mention the lack of a lead villain.

Wakey wakey.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a hero. Erm, anyway, very funny review of a very bad film.

Besides, we all know who the real lead villain is. George Lucas. All he needs is a Nehru suit and a white cat. He's got the crowd of clapping seals who never say no to him and a lair out in the middle of the desert.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

There's definitely something to be said for not surrounding yourself with sycophants and yes men. I suppose we're all to blame a bit, he thought he couldn't go wrong because we all loved it so much. The sun shone out of his arse right up until the appearance of Jar Jar Binks, and then his whole world unravelled.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps