Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Shuttle Endeavour installed new window on ISS

Author Topic: Shuttle Endeavour installed new window on ISS
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what a pretty window it is.

-

Full article

Seen below: the Dune sea.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks DeathStar-ish. Do the astronauts sit in the front of it gazing evily out of it? Cause that would be cool.

"I thought I told you to remain on the shuttle."

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Register printed a very similar photo of the new window. There caption stated that no X-Wings had been spotted so far...

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Death Star-like windows...

-

I'm pretty sure that resemblance is intentional. His chair is even damn close to Palpatine's, other than being white.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: Actually, the Death Star window is totally asymmetric. Someone in the CNN comments section mentioned the Falcon, but it has an octagonal window. This is the TIE Fighter window, hexagonal.
As if nerds needed another reason to want to visit the ISS.

The article further describes that this is just the central cupola in the newly renovated room, and that the section illustrated has received an entire SERIES of windows, so that there is a full six-axis sight radius (minus the 45 from the hatch you came in through).

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a joke. I do that sometimes. But you're right, I neglected to pop my DVDs in to come up with the most appropriate reference.

[Smile]

(but ok you're right about the death star windows being asymmetrical...)

Nim
Member # 205

And I was being Sheldony, no harm meant. It's weird that they came up with that jagged and gothic window when the rest of the Death Star (and empire) is so angular and meticulous. Maybe it was to increase the occult "High Priest" vibe of the Emperor? Along with his gypsy/djinn-like accent?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I always thought it looked spider-webish with the Emperor at the center.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at a video about some new PS3 game called Heavy Rain and noticed something in one of the cutscenes.

-

Look at the poster to the far left. That certainly can't be a coincidence!

Nim
Member # 205

That definitely is the Maquis ship. This reminds me of an old find I made regarding Second Life (feels like ancient history now)..

Now, this and the Heavy Rain thing are deliberate, where the ISS-window is actually life imitating SF. Isn't it nice, though, that the original artists who designed the TIE Fighter get a kind of confirmation of viability from NASA, regarding their choice of cockpit window?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Monogram model- what do they have it shooting at though?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.