Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Episode VII (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Episode VII
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney Buys Lucasfilm, Planning Episode VII for 2015

I live in a universe where this is a thing that is happening.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully they do a better job than John Carter.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again...
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the kids, from the kids, for the kids.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek is next...fucking bet on it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this. After all, Disney owns Marvel and Pixar, but both of those companies still make good films. Also, the fact that Lucas won't have any personal control over things can't be bad.

Then again, as someone pointed out to me yesterday, Lucas has always been really laid back about fan-created works based on his properties. Disney... not so much.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if Lucas is a "creative consultant," that's industry jargon for "getting paid to stay out of the way." He won't be writing, producing, or directing. Which means there's a chance these movies could be good.

(But then, we said that about the prequels, too.) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All will bow before Darth Mickey?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they can get someone like Irvin Kershner (peace be upon his name) to do the movie, not pulling punches in the ominous/visceral department, it might well be a really nice thing. Lucas will definitely not be directing, so that's a 40% increase in potential right there.

If they can just manage to make the script scary and hard once in a while that's all I need. In Genndy Tartakovsky's "General Grievous"-duel scene of the 2D-Clone Wars series, he had him face off with 7 jedi and wipe out all but 3. That's the kind of balls you need to give Star Wars an edge, like the severed arm in Mos Eisley Cantina, Owen and Beru's cadavers, Luke's hand. The "I'm not screwing around here, Luke" message.

All that touchy-feely cuddly Ashoka-stuff has diluted the franchise to "Land Before Time"-levels. Just having an antagonist that looks like this for crying out loud. Hell, having an entire lineup of characters that you know will survive to Episode 3, such a shot in the foot, narratively.

Anyway, hopefully this will be a new chance. I guess that live-action series will fall by the wayside, though...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim my friend...you must not have watched beyond the first season!
The sheer "holy fuck!" violence is occasionally shocking on the Clone Wars- Ventress once used the force to grab a clone commander by the neck and hold him in the air, choking. Then she slowly impales him on her lightsaber and kisses him just as he expires- her lightsaber still in his chest.
 -
That is what the series is about by season three- no "touchy-feely cuddly" anything.
(well, okay, there's some stuff with Jar jar and 3P0, but it's well handled)

They even had Ashoka grow up- by season five she's looking about eighteen or nineteen years old- and she's useing two lightsabers to kick ass!
 -
 -

For additional harshness, you see clones get shot in the head and they shoot (humanoid) enemy troops with no issues, massive ship battles...and the ship designs! (drools)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's good news. You'd be right, I stopped watching by the episode when Ashoka tried to save a village full of pacifist furry people, and butted heads with the (for some reason) french-accented Aayla Secura. That's when I felt it had seriously started aiming for the Nickelodeon-audience. If they have started making it more mature, great. I might try it again. It's hard, though, to shake the underlying feeling of the protagonists not achieving anything of consequence, since we all know what's coming. But I might be wrong, if the writers manage to construct a narrative sufficiently free from the Palpatine-plot.

The clones are another gripe I didn't even know I had until last week. Like the nemoidian battle droids and the geonosian insects, they are a "safe", acceptable cannon fodder, precisely invented so that kids could watch them die but not feel connection to them, like seeing "indians" shot by the hundreds in 50's cowboy movies. As a 10-year old, when I watched stormtroopers die in the original trilogy (like in the speeder bike chase) I felt at least something, I knew they were individuals at some level. Clones are perfectly sterile, and Morrison's neutral voice acting gave them a bit too harmless of a disposition, in my opinion.

Can you even imagine how cool it had been if the voice of ALL the clones since AOTC had been an actor who tried to emulate the real Boba Fett? That raspy, guileful, wonderfully hissing intercom voice? "Aas you wishh.." Every time clones would talk, the viewer would feel a slight chill in their spine, and it would've been the perfect premonition of what's to come (Palpatine's takeover). It would also have been a great excuse to stop using clones by the time of ANH. They were simply horrible to work with and genuinly creepy. Holy shit, they could even have had a scene in Episode 3 when a jedi gave a clone an order with his back turned to him, order 66 came through, and the clone stabbed him/her in the back, saying "As you wish...". That would've almost approached Peter Jackson-levels of cheek.

I always hated that scene from AOTC, it sounded so modern-Lucas:

quote:
They are totally obedient, taking any order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent
than the original host.

You took space cake and turned it into cornbread. Thanks, admiral buzzkill.

[ November 03, 2012, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Nim ]

Nim
Member # 205

I have to admit, the animation in itself, the movements and choreography, is nice. Just as it is, production values would be prohibitive from anyone other than Lucasfilm, I imagine. The ships and vehicles obviously respond very well to CGI conversion. I've always liked the Venator star destroyers. Twin bridges were a genius idea, aesthetically. Covered Y-wings were tough at first but they're growing on me. And they're finally using the top turret's swivel function.

Edit: I've been home for a week with pneumonia, right now facing insomnia and stomache ache (from the penicillin), I was in a weak state, ok? In dire need of some distraction. This isn't easy for me. I may or may not have derived some entertainment from the liberation of Ryloth, last night. In fact, it was this sequence that sealed it. The choice of muting the sound and music in the fall was tasteful. And the droid army did bomb an entire village of noncombatants.

The little blue twi'lek homeless girl had nothing to do with it, you hear me?

[ November 03, 2012, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Nim ]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That's still back in season two or so (and yes, that klittle girl is a heartbreaker)- by season four you'll see stuff like the leader of Deathwatch stab a little girl in the back just to show her dad that...well, just to be a dick really. They massacre the entire villiage there...and ashoka ends up beheading FOUR of those guys with one sweeping arc of her two lightsabers soon thereafter!
(The Deathwatch are Mandalorian terrorists in Boba Fett style armor)

Watch onward, Nim! Season three is full of win- you'll see the origins of Ventress (Count Dooku's apprentice) and she gets some great development.
The clones get some great development as they question their role AFTER the war is won- and how some of them think the Republic views them as little better than droids.

You'll also see the seperatists step up their game by trying to wipe out the cloning facilities and making all kinds of specilized weaponry- evertything from bio-weapons to new droid models- like a very cool sniper version of the Destroyer Droid.

Some great space battle engagments there as well- and a new light cruiser design which I think really kicks ass.
And a nice Stealth Ship with a cloaking device and design nod to the Eagle Transport- cloaking devices in SW are more complicated than Trek's single piece of equipment- the entire ship is covered with hologram emitters- and it's pretty odd looking.

Best of all- in season four and five they are really showing Palpaltine's deep game- and how he inserts little suggestions into Anakin's head making his distrust the Jedi Council...though they freely jerk him around in season four.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Oh, I'm pretty much screwed at this point. I'm gonna have to try and avoid spoilers now as I'm currently on early season 3, but Ahsoka is growing on me. First time I ever genuinely laughed at a Clone Wars-joke (in season 1 the jokes were a bit stuffy):

Anakin: Go help senator Chuchi, but don't get in the way of local authorities.
Ahsoka: Aren't you going to help?
Anakin: No, I need to go to the Jedi Temple and make sure no one finds out about your little expedition.
Padmé: Should you really proceed without the Council's approval?
Anakin: We do it all the time. Don't we, Snips?
Ahsoka: Yup!
Padmé: I still can't believe they let you teach...

I have more comments on the show and content but for Krenim's sake I won't hijack the thread more. Have to have some decorum. I'll make another thread!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, the chemistry between Anakin and padme is exceptional in CW- much more organic and believable than in the movies.
Did you watch the episode (season two?) where Jar Jar accidently inpersonates a Jedi?
That has one of the funniest exachanges I've ever seen on TV- it's between Padme and C3P0..

Padme: "3P0, I need you to go back to the ship and call for help"
3P0: "I'm afraid the ship's been...destroyed"
Padme: "Battledroids?"
3P0: "No"
Padme: "Jar Jar?"
3P0: "Jar Jar."

That the show manged to take a horrible and offensive thing like Jar Jar and make him endearing- and funny!- is something that far exceeded my wildest hope for the series.
They also remade him from a "sambo" caricature into a truly funny (in a physocal humor kinda way) charcater that I like watching.
See him step up to plate on a couple of diplomatic missions- he's so eager not to let everyone down that it makes him brave.

Hell, even 3P0 is fun- he covers for Padme and Anakin's relationship more than once- which to me makes his OT self kinda tragic: he got "wiped" at the end of ROTS, which reset his development.

It's like seeing Data become...er...the retarded Android from Nemesis (I've blocked much of that movie from active memory searches)

ALSO: I hope you've gotten over your pneumonia! That sounds pretty serious...my own wacky immune system shields me (so far) from that sort of stuff but it's good to see that you're under a doctor's care.
Pennicillin is no fun...though infinitley better than Ciprofloxin!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps