Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars Rebels. No colon, hyphen, or comma here. (spoilers in the future) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels. No colon, hyphen, or comma here. (spoilers in the future)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When does this air? I keep thinking that September seems forever away, then realise that it's already September and somehow everything still seems forever away!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 3

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a big change from TCW, and not just because stormtroopers are now as useful as battle droids.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was quite fun and had a lot of heart.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So "Spark of Rebellion" wasn't bad. Really, my only beef with it was that the Wookies looked awful in the new art style.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it was pretty good. I liked how they incorporated an unused concept of the at-st into show as a new design. If I recall, that design was also used in the old Star Wars comics by Marvel.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost ALL the Rebels designs are unused Ralph McQuarrie designs- the stubby TIE fighters, the less-than-detailed Star Destroyer (ug.) the walker, the weird childlike speeder-bike trooper helmets, etc.
Really, only the Ghost is a new design.

Quickie review:

So I caught the first episode today- it was pretty good for a first episode.
I like the hero cast, the hero ship (Ghost) and the animation, while not up to CW standards for movment, is still close.

THE GOOD:
The hero cast are all pretty cool- excepting the annoying droid.

The Mandolorian babe on the ghost seems to be the daughter of Bo-Katan Kryze- her name is Sabine and her armor and blasters are the same make/model as her mommy's.
I kinda think EVERYTHING about her is a re-use- her face, armor and guns all look to be re-colored versions of the Deathwatch commando (her mom, I presume).
Anyway, I like her!

The main Jedi (Keevan?) in in a relationship (with his Twilik pilot)! YEAH! Good to see he can maintain his Jedi beliefs while not following the same failed restrictions on attachments.

The ship is pretty great looking.

The BAD:
The Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters are grossly ineffectual- we're talking "Scoby-Doo" level non-threatening villians.
Stormtroopers also dont appear to be clones in this- they have a different voice than the clone troopers (BOO!).

Imperial officers are all corrupt and two-dimensional.

TIE fighters blow up into white clouds with little debris.

There is some slapstick type humor with fails badly.

The sound effects seem weak- particularly the turret-blasters on the Ghost- it's distracting and really timid sounding. Weird- the turrets seem identical to those on the CW Y-Wings- why not use the same sound effect from that?

The lightsaber effect is different and kinda blury when it's moved- maybe a nit closer to the way Obi Wan's looked in ANH, but not clean like the CW look.

THE UGLY:
The new" TIE Fighters look like the old Kenner Toys and are obviously a huuuuge step down from CW era fighters- slower and less armed.

The Star Destroyer is AWFUL. No two ways about it- it's an undetailed hot mess- the old ERTL model is more detailed (and that's really saying something!). The proportions are also off in places and the sidewalls are not recessed- they are flush with the hull and there is only a center strip of light greebling- it looks like a snap-kit for kids was scanned and used.

OVERALL RATING: B- a solid start and it makes me want to watch more, even though it's obviously geared to a younger audience than CW was, it shows promise- unfortunately, it looks a lot like the budget was slashed from the CW levels- you'll see that the cities look deserted (less models) and the overall feel is kinda...fanfic.
Hopefully this will improve of there is a good viewer reaction, but no one seems to understand Disney's decisions with cartoon media these days.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minor comments:

quote:
Stormtroopers also dont appear to be clones in this- they have a different voice than the clone troopers (BOO!).
Like in the OT, then. Neat!

quote:
TIE fighters blow up into white clouds with little debris.
Like in the OT, then. Neat!

quote:
The Star Destroyer is AWFUL/The sound effects seem weak- particularly the turret-blasters on the Ghost- it's distracting and really timid sounding/Hopefully things will improve if there is a good viewer reaction, but no one seems to understand Disney's decisions with cartoon media these days.
Inclined to agree.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

In OT, TIE fighters blew up into LARGE white clouds with little/no debris- no so here.
In this, it just looks like a video game effect- or like a CG effect from a decade ago.

But I get that they're trying for an ANH look- it's a baaaad choice though.
Trying hard to match effects from over 30 years ago is a dumb move- it'd be like a new Trek series using VFX from TMP- fine for models, BAD for effects!

Somehow this all seems low-budget compared with TCW.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the look of the Star Destroyers is supposed to indicate an intermediate design between the Venator and the Star Destroyers of the OT. These designs would be easier to swallow if that was the case. Also good eye on the Mandalorian chick, I didn't notice all those details. Although her Phoenix/Bird symbol is similar to the Rebel Alliance crest. Some foreshadowing I'm sure.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I had the same notion on the Star Destroyers, but if that were the case, there's plenty of known Star Destroyer variations they could have gone with- instead of giving us what looks like a snap-tight model kit or something from a Lego set.

The sidewalls are what bother me the most (from what little we've seen thus far)- they are not recessed at all and detail there is minimal.
It. Looks. Awful.
Why put such obvious effort into The Ghost but not the SD? They have to know they'll be using the model over and over...

Again, it smacks of a tighter budget that TCW- as insane as that sounds with Disney owning everything!

Meh. Maybe it'll take off with the fans and we'll get a better SD model down the road- maybe even some fan favorites like the Intridictor (unless that's considered part of the now-non-canon EU?).

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they are that old Victory class star destroyer? The one before the Imperator.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I suppose you could say it is- but really, it's a very poor representation of Ralph McQuarrie's painting.
Really, ALL the designs for Rebels are directly taken from McQuarrie's original SW paintings- the big crewman from The Ghost is actually McQuarrie's concept for Chewbacca- there's even a line of action figures based on Ralph's concepts and one of concept-Chewie that looks veeeerrry familliar:
http://www.rebelscum.com/tac21McChewie.asp

Regarding the Star Destroyer, if they were using McQuarrie's painting as reference on their Star Destroyer, they flubbed it pretty badly.
Here is the Rebels version:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140723040917/starwarsrebels/images/1/1c/Star_Destroyer_Trailer_2.png
McQuarrie's version (which looks completely different at the sides)
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130308045242/starwars/images/7/73/RMQ-stardestroyer.png
If they really are using Ralph's painting for inspiration, they strayed pretty far afield.

It's like when someone takes a TNG Trek design and makes a TOS version of it- it comes across as an homage, but never looks like it belongs in that era.
So too with the Rebels SD- and the multi-colored lights certainly dont help matters- nor does the utter lack of visible turbolasers! WTH?!?

Really, I think the design would still be okay if they shortened the neck and gave it it's turbolasers- it's frankly idiotic to leave those off- even if they are not present in the McQuarrie painting, their absense is glaring- we KNOW the Venator has them and the ISD has them- it's dumb for this version to break design lineage by not being armed.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you look at the more distant ISD in the "RMQ" file then compare with Rebels, the latter simply adds notches a la the film ISD (interrupting the triangle), but otherwise looks about the same.

In any case, I approve of hearkening back and such, but that should've been a prototype or something, not the production model.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Anyone got a link to where I can watch Rebels online?
Unfortunately, the series where I live is ONLY available to watch with an extra "Disney XD" subscription- or by paying for $1.50 each episode for the privilege of watching them on Comcast's "On Demand" service.

Scam-a-licious.

Thus far, I've only been able to watch the premier episode...

BUT, I'm listening to the excellent audiobook "A New Dawn" by John Jackson Miller- the writer behind several SW books and Dark Horse's amazing Dark Times series, which, like Rebels, takes place between trilogies.

A New Dawn takes places shortly (a year?) prior to the first episode of Rebels.
There's some interesting stuff on Count Vidian- including how he'd been a billionaire industrialist and used his vast wealth to cyborg himself out- and to purchase his "Count" title.

The audiobook is dfinitely worth picking up!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps