Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars Rebels. No colon, hyphen, or comma here. (spoilers in the future) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels. No colon, hyphen, or comma here. (spoilers in the future)
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rebels has about a third of the viewership of TCW on its best day, so in that regard the slashed budget makes sense.

I've actually given up on it, myself. TCW had its ... youthful elements, shall we say, but Rebels is rather more definitely a kid's show. I'm kind of surprised we don't see more of the GI Joe thing where no aircraft could be harmed without a parachute also coming out.

That said, I think it keeps to the Star Wars spirit more than most of the new Disney canon, but given that it's a new canon and not the old Lucas one, I just can't bring myself to care as much.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they'll tie season two into The Force Awakens the way Marvel did Agents of SHIELD into the movies....
Of course the challenge is greater because there's a huge time gap, but I'm sure it'll be possible to some extent.

I don't think there even IS "New Canon" for Star Wars- certainly Marvel has said the comics are "story first"- the newspeak for "our writers won't bother to read each other's stories and our editors do nothing".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about Rebels' low ratings. I recall a similar issue with the Tron Legacy cartoon. It was good, but nobody was watching. Rebels isn't all kiddie though. I mean the Lieutenant Governor of Lothal was killed in a terrorist attack staged by the Empire to scapegoat the Rebels. Tarkin had the Inquisitor impale two officials for not doing more to stop the Rebels. The Freddie Prince Jedi was baited into a trap using the dead body of his master. Not exactly kid stuff.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet...it's lacking any seriousness overall- particularly regarding the deaths of stormtroopers.
In CW, the supposedly disposable clonetroopers had real depth and their deaths were often shocking (see the death of Echo for instance), yet in Rebels, we get...nothing.

You'd think the whole crew would have serious PTSD by now from all the people they've mowed down (or spaced with explosives)- though I don't think Ezra had personally killed anyone outright, the stormtrooper he shot off the bridge in the series opener did die (indirectly) as result of his actions.

You'd think there would be...I don't know, some agnst about the troopers on Ezra's part- after all, he (briefly) went to the academy with a bunch of the new recruits. He's just a kid doing all these (for want of a better word) terrorist actions- and the people he's looking at as his new family seem a-okay with it all.

I guess Disney does not want a conversation where an adult explains that it's okay to kill bad guys if it's for a good cause.
That way lie madness (and potential lawsuits).

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
though I don't think Ezra had personally killed anyone outright
This is also deviating from Jedi doctrine, in Anakin's padawan career he killed hordes of aliens and enemies (not counting the tusken binge-slaughter), he was trained to uphold the law and pacify enemies through any means necessary. General Kenobi (Leia's words) maimed two aliens in Mos Eisley, if not killed them. There is a very no-nonsense line drawn in the sand for Jedi, they don't compromise when it comes to the safety of their subjects (Luke in this case).

Ezra seems to be getting the wrong training in a time of war, he needs to face a situation where he has to make a decision or others will die due to his inaction. He has been given a lightsaber but with the implication to only use it as a door-opener and a parry stick, it seems. So MacGyverish.

Really looking forward to "Star Wars: Underworld more and more now. Surely the writers will be forced to have balls if they wish to compete with "Walking Dead" and "Game of Thrones", right? If Deadwood and BSG are inspirations, as McCallum says...

Also, this.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I don't know- they chickened out on the Boba Fett video game that could have been insane.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/25/star-wars-1313-boba-fett-concept-art-and-story-details

The droid they designed for the game turned up in the Clone Wars as part of Fett's cre of bounty hunters- so that's something (?).

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall, 1313 was going to be an M rated game, a first for Star Wars. Lots of adult themes and violence. As for Rogue One, can we wait for the first film to come out and see if its good? I mean Disney is putting all their eggs in one basket for Star Wars. There's always a chance, however small, Episode VII could suck the big one.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Suck the big one? Ot depends on two things- first, how far Abrams takes the characters from their OT versions and second, how far he changes the overall SW universe conceptually.

SW fans do NOT want the concept altered- recall the awful midicloreans/ Anakin is Space Jesus/ drouds could rebel discarded ideas from the prequels.

And of course, fans want the OT characters to be the same- though its been almost forty years, no one wants to see...I don't know- a bitter divorced Han and Leia for example.

But my money is still on Kylo Ren being Luke Skywalker under the mask. He's a lefty like Mark Hammil and dresses like Vader.
Expect fanboy outrage.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Funny, I had the same notion. What better way to infiltrate a wannabe Empire than to become a wannabe Vader. Although a recent shot of Hamil as Skywalker would seem to discount this. He looks like Santa.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Funny, I had the same notion. What better way to infiltrate a wannabe Empire than to become a wannabe Vader. Although a recent shot of Hamil as Skywalker would seem to discount this. He looks like Santa.

I think we may see Santa Skywalker in holos or possibly in some flashback to the time between the end of RTOJ and the appearance of Darth Jr.

As to motivations, I think maybe there has to be some...darkside incarnation. Some physical manifestation- and maybe Luke has embraced that, becoming something more akin to the Force Wielders from CW.
After all, Anakin was supposed to become the balance in that equation, but it fell to Luke.
That's assuming Abrams ever watched the CW stuff- or cares in any way. He sure did not with Trek.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the Disney canon sucking generally, I was amused by something recently.

See, in the old Expanded Universe, the Empire survived for ages under assorted Moffs, warlords, Emperor clones, et cetera, eventually dwindling into Remnants and such. I always poked fun at this concept since the end of the RotJ novel says "the Empire was dead" and of course the film shows fireworks, statue-toppling, and similar celebrations on Coruscant. My joke was that there must've been stormtroopers just off-camera and that the revelers were shot just after the scene ended.

Well, I never expected them to actually run with that, but in the novel Star Wars: Aftermath they actually do.

Fail.

(That book also has a comet supposedly theatening numerous star systems on a swath through the whole galaxy. Ancient Jedi group together and some literally kill themselves to destroy it from afar while it is still far from populated space. This is rather stupid, since they have literally thousands or millions of years to come up with a plan assuming a non-relativistic comet. So much for any trace of hard sci-fi ... at least we could pretend before.)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is that a fail? If there's a fail, it's in the movie and novel. A spontaneous galaxy-wide collapse of the Empire is ridiculously implausible. There's way too many people who would be invested in the continuing of the existing system and want to hold on to power.

(I loved that Robot Chicken sketch... "What do you mean, we can't fight back?!")

It may be a fairly obvious solution as far as retcons go, but it's also the most sensible and IMO the most likely to happen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The comet thing is a giant black hole-sized failure of even third grade science.
Joss Whedon did the same stupid thing years ago in X-Men where aliens made a giant bullet and fired it at Earth..fuck, it was astonishingly bad.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was referring just to the Stormtroopers on Coruscant. I agree the comet part sounds ridiculously stupid.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
How is that a fail? If there's a fail, it's in the movie and novel. A spontaneous galaxy-wide collapse of the Empire is ridiculously implausible. There's way too many people who would be invested in the continuing of the existing system and want to hold on to power.

Setting aside the novelization's dead Empire and explicit mention of Palpatine's evil having held everything together, I agree that the lesser evil overlords would not simply scurry off, generally speaking. There are many factors that could carry things in many directions.

But to actually have all the revelers literally shot down as soon as the movie camera turned away is just crap writing.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps