Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Impressions (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Impressions
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A set of rollers maglocked inside the ball (or just the head maglocked to the ball itself) and it is golden. Way more realistic and plausible than R2's flying jets, and more useful for terrain than the similar-to-the-head-size black RC car messenger droids on the Death Star.

I would take it over a Treadwell any day if I just needed a droid that goes on Tatooine.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note on the licensing discussion… Marvel has taken control of the Dark Horse stories:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/25431/20150108/marvel-is-officially-selling-dark-horse-s-back-catalogue-of-star-wars-comics.htm

They are republishing and just swapping company logos so they look like Marvel material.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news- I hope DH sold them for a mint- after all, it was DH that kept the torch for decades, and did a fantastic job of it too!
Whereas the old Marvel SW comics were shamefully bad. I think even the. Star Wars Christmas Special is better than most of what Marvel made back then.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

('fro-slap)

Dark Horse didn't sell anything to Disney. They were informed by Disney that their services would no longer be required, and then Marvel (of Disney) was given the license. The work was owned by Disney. They could re-issue as they did, chop it up into pieces, whatever.

Dark Horse tried to do a 'fire sale' of their stuff before the end to make the money they could. But they didn't have any rights to the material… they made their dollars being a licensee for a major franchise.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing in that says or implies that DH got nothing for those stories- there's no way that just because Disney owns the rights to the characters, that they also magicly got rights to the art and stories- in comics, when a book gets reprinted the writers and artists get a sorta royalty. SH paid for all that stuff, not Lucasfilm. Remember that DH paid to use that stuff- like hoe Fox pays for making Spider Man movies- once the lisence expires, it does not inply that Disney gets those Fox-created movies, only that Fox can't make more.

I saw the same kind of thing happen several times in the comics world (the 90's was rife with it)- like when DC bought Comico or Marvel bought Malibu (for their digital presses)- they got the company and the charcaters but the stories were a seperate gag.
Just for some "light" reading, check out the 30-plus year legal battle over Miracleman- the characters, the stories the art...everything was a seperate legal cluster-fight.

We have no idea how that worked in this case- or if Marvel/Disney has to pay that when they reprint or if it was all some "work for hire" deal that caused so many great comics creators to end up penniless while Marvel and DC made billions.

I'm hoping that guys like John Jackson Miller get something for creating characters like Zayne Carrick or Rholan Dyre- guys that already in some cases have action figures and T Shirts and whatever.

All that being said, I'd dearly looove for KotOR to get a huge following and for it to lead to other media- a CW-style series could make the OT look like the SW Christmas Special by comparison.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Star Wars : The Tarbock War Chronicles : Book 2 : Zeederboo's Revenge that Yarbo Hadderblargh's third head tentacle is brown
This is an entirely believable entry into the EU.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Check the Marvel stuff sometime- green bugs bunny smugglers and red celery people....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Jabba the Hutt being a yellow walrus man.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps