Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Rey and her vision, Rey and her parents - two observations

Author Topic: Rey and her vision, Rey and her parents - two observations
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people assume that Rey is Luke's daughter, but after seeing the movie a second time and listening to what Maz Kanata says to Rey in the cellar, I have some new hope that she is not his daughter.

Maz says (paraphrased): "You know deep inside that they are never coming back (to Jakku), but there is someone you can go to (Luke)."

This really sounds like she says her parents are long dead from the war, but Luke, as the last living Jedi, is the natural next step after they noticed she was Force-sensitive through touching the lightsaber. I hope so much that she is not "THE DESTINED FORETOLD NEW SKYWALKER" but just someone with a very important part to play. I know how Lucas has always said the whole story is only a story about family, specifically the Skywalker family, but I feel it isn't needed in this instance.

Like Harry Potter. Potter himself was a nobody, he had good parents with good wizard genes, but the only reason he ever became "special" or important in the narrative was because his mother's love spell made Voldemort's plans crash and burn, and he became one of his horcruxes. Other than that, he was just a boy. No messiah, no Neo, just had a lot of help, a lot of luck, and a good heart.

My second observation: when Rey has her Force vision and hears Yoda, Kenobi, Luke's scream in Bespin, and then sees the Knights of Ren killing the last jedi padawan, the whole vision trip ends with a female voice, calmly whispering "You have taken the first step now...".

This did not sound like Maz Kanata's voice, who herself confessed she was not Force-sensitive. This leads me to hope, greatly, that Episode 8 will reveal another Force-user apart from Luke, who can perhaps guide Rey and become a mentor. It would be awesome to have a good, aged female teacher, it has a lot of narrative potential, I think.

Thoughts?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I heard someone on the net hypothesize that Supreme Leader Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis, who was Palpatine's lord and didn't die from Palpatine's sleep killing, but instead survived through self-healing. I am not sure I like this rumor. I would prefer to start fresh and keep building anew from now on, no more surprise OT references, and especially not to the prequels.

As far as I know, Plagueis has officially been defined as a Muun, and I think Snoke had a nose and ears, unlike the Muun.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I dont buy the Plagueis thing. I would think TPTB would want to downplay the prequel saga. As for him being a Muun, that was something established in the old Expanded Universe which is no longer canon.
Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "You've taken your first step" line was Ewen McGregor.
Nim
Member # 205

Was it? When is that from?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz both recorded new lines for the film. They even managed to get a clip from Alex Guinness into the scene.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-12-20/jj-abrams-reveals-ewan-mcgregor-frank-oz-and-alec-guinness-have-cameos-in-the-force-awakens

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
the team behind the new film asked McGregor – who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the prequels – to come in and record new dialogue. "He was awesome and we were very grateful. He was incredibly sweet and handsome, and all that stuff. Then he rode off on his motorcycle. Literally the coolest voice over actor ever."
That's neat. Too bad Oz' lines weren't used, but there you go.

I wonder if the next episode will continue directly from the last scene, or if there will be a time jump a la TESB. If there is a time jump, and you see Rey training or being a jedi knight already, they would almost have to include flashbacks to what was actually said in that first meeting between Luke and Rey, and Star Wars have never used flashbacks before, seems out of place.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.