Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » JarJar Binks Protests (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: JarJar Binks Protests
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Race isn't a reference to one's skin color, it's a reference to ancestors, cultural history, some genetic traits, etc.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I think American Native sounds much better than Native American :]

But, white people are kind of white, but not really. Black people are kind of black, but not really. BUT Indians are not at all indian, it was a stupid mistake someone made and to still use it now is a bit stupid.

Also, I didn't say we shouldn't refer to everyone as persons, it's just, kind of, when it really makes a difference we could use it. I mean, if someone sees me with severe sunburn in a particularly hot summer and comments on that, and he's black, should I say: "Yeah, you're lucky, you have an African-American skintone"? Hm. THAT is what I mean. I am not a racial segregationist if you think that (and if that's even a word)!!

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW, the way I've heard it, "African-American" was not an insult applied to the "blacks" by the whites to differenciate them. It is a term first used by some in the "black" community to identify themselves.

See, "black" was a name they were assigned. They didn't have any choice in the matter. The same with "Negro" or "colored."

"African-American" is just a modern term, and a little more convenient than "Americans of African descent."

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

But if you call yourself "white" if you're whitish, what's wrong with calling "blackish" people "black"?

Oh hell, forget it, I won't convince anyone that I am not a retarded racist..

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*growls at her internet connection* i got booted while i was trying to post this last night, and apparently the connection wasn't available again until almost 4am, by which time i was sleeping. *L*

----------------------No, RW. I wasn't thinking by that that you were racist at all. I see your point...I just have a different perspective.

Frank: Race is a completely inappropriate term anyway. BUT what i MEANT was the idea placed on people of a particular descent. For example: I have a friend who is English. I met him on the internet, and for a couple of months, I figured by natural assumption, that he was an anglo guy with a tuft of dark brown hair. came to find out, his father was from Zimbabwe. As far as I know, though, he considers himself 'english'...not 'african british' or whatever the heck they call it over there if they even HAVE to. When you think "Native american" or "american indian" you picture tonto or sitting bull. I had a lady in one of my classes this past year who was about 1/4 cherokee. she looked as anglo as i do. she might even have been HALF cherokee. i don't remember. then there was a guy in another of my classes who was full blooded Hopi. maybe he was albino or something, but he was PALER than I am. I didn't even know that was possible! so yes--"Race" refers to the group of people from which one is descended, determined by a geographical location and specific traits which are assigned to those groups in order to identify them. as i have said, it is totally invalid--at least from the anthropological pov. what i was referring to is that when someone thinks of someone as belonging to a specific "Race", a skin color immediately comes to mind, rather than an individual no different from ourselves, ultimately. in fact, skin color is really no different than HAIR color, and other pigments in our bodies. what would happen if we were to start distinguishing people by what color their hair was? (well...other than blondes, that is....*L*) but seriously--that's my point. now the whole blonde-brunnette thing is really just a joke...even if it does happen to apply to some individuals. there are probably few people who take it completely seriously. is a blonde REALLY any different than a brunette or a red head? NO! of course not! and we don't segregate people by what their hair color is, or refer to them by it that way--at least not as frequently as with the terms 'black', 'white', 'indian', whatever. my point is, colors are pointless. the recently deceased shel silverstein wrote a poem called "No Difference"

quote:

Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.

Rich as a sultan
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same

Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same

So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to just reach out
And turn off the light!

Thanks. I'm done.
*steps off soap box and walks away* *turns back around and flips the lightswitch off* much better

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

RW
Member # 27

Is there an atheist's version too?

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the Shel Silverstein poem? not likely..most of his stuff is Christian themed....particularly the Giving Tree. hehe.

------------------

Androgyne
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weyoun, are you advocating the destruction of our sun? =) hehe

------------------
91qk.lcc co51.24ahx ma3x5./bk
Yellow + Blue = Green

IP: Logged
Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

Um...no, Androgyne...that wasn't quite the point i was making. perhaps if i put it *another* way: Why couldn't we all be COLORBLIND?!

pleh.
DC Talk--"Colored People"
"Pardon me, your epidermis is showing
Yessir, I couldn't help but note your shade of melanin
I tip my hat to the colorful arrangement
Cause I see the beauty in the tones of our skin

We're colored people and we live in a tainted place
We're colored people and they call us the human race
We've got a history so full of mistakes
Yes we are colored people who depend on a holy grace

A piece of canvas is only the beginning
It takes on character with every loving stroke
This thing of beauty is the passion of an artist's heart
By God's design we are a skin kaleidoscope

We've got to come together and thank the maker of us all

We're colored people and we live in a tainted place
We're colored people and they call us the human race
We've got a history so full of mistakes
Yes we are colored people who depend on a holy grace

Ignorance has wronged some races
And vengence is the Lord's
If we aspire to share this space
Repentance is the cure

Well just a day in the shoes of a colorblind man should make it easy for you to see
That these diverse tones do more than cover our bones as a part of our anatomy

...red, yellow, black and white....
colored people..."

deep song, but it seems to get the point across

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.