Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Hold on a minute. . . ($) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hold on a minute. . . ($)
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol said something the other night that's just occurred to me again - there's quite an age gap between Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman. We've all been assuming that the Portman character would be the mother of Luke & Leia - but has this ever been confirmed anywhere? She's obviously vaguely alien, and has no connection with Alderaan. So, what does everyone think?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've avoided most rumors so far, but I think Luke and Leia's mother will actually be the younger human Queen Ama-somethingorother, who I believe we saw in the first trailer. I have no idea if this is correct, though.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Wildrider: "These guys better have some energon for us!"
Dead End: "Or what?"
Wildrider: "Or...I'll think of something!"

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I hadn't heard that. It makes sense though. Looks like it's just gonna be Ewan McGregor in for the long haul, then. . .
The First One
Member # 35

Okay then, another question: what's with all the war robots? How come this tech looks even better than the Empire's 40 years later, and why doesn't the Empire use robots?

Then there was another thing that suddenly occurred to me. . . who won the Clone Wars? I mean, we know the Jedi fought them, but there aren't many left at the end - which probably helped the collapse of the Republic. Might all those zillions of Stromtroopers really be clones? Might the Clone Wars have actually been LOST?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of reasons not to use robots, I suppose. They might not be as effective as human soldiers, or they might be too expensive, or they might be banned for one reason or another, or...

And I think the Clone Wars haven't happened yet as of the first movie.

------------------
Wildrider: "These guys better have some energon for us!"
Dead End: "Or what?"
Wildrider: "Or...I'll think of something!"

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robot troopers might have been banned at some interstellar treaty-signing, just like here on Earth chemical and biological weapons have been [officially] outlawed.

Or, there's always the danger of some computer virus system turning droid-soldiers against their own forces. If an R2 goes mad, no big deal, but if some robot trooper goes postal, that could make a bit of a mess.

Hey, what about someone [jedi?] hitting the robot-factory, stealing the emergency super-secret never-use-unless-you-really-have-to Self Destruct Code, and turning some dictator's grand metal army into so much scrap, and therby pretty much putting an end to the mechanical soldier business overnight {like how The Hindenburg spelled the end of zeppelin traffic for the 20th Century.}

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers for those who only see what's in the Trailers, old hat for those who don't mind seeing a bit of the information.

Mind you, I will never get enough spoilers to give away much of the movie, but E-online did spoil one thing for me I never wanted to hear.

By younger queen from the first movie, I assume you mean the one who said, "Are you sure about this, trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know?" that person is Queen Amidala, but she is in hiding, going by the name Padme Naberrie. Queen Amidala is the same one who has the weird accent in the new Trailer.

The age difference is significant, but I think Jake Loyd is playing Anakin as being older than he is, and I think Natalie Portman is playing Amidala younger than she is. Still, the young woman running through the doors telling her compatriots to "Get to your ships!" is much older than the young guy who we see amazed by Jedi with lines such as "You're wizards!" Part of the problem is that Lucas was originally thinking of Anakin as being a little older when he left home, but he decided later a nine-year old leaving home would have more dramatic effect.

Either way, I'm sure the second movie will not look quite so much like Amidala is robbing the cradle; they reportedly will cast a nineteen- or twenty-year old to portray Anakin, Portman is sixteen or seventeen now, and will be close to that in Episode II (even though her character will be older).

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First One raises a concern I have with any science fiction prequel, and demonstrates why I am opposed to a Star Trek series that would take place pre-TOS. Any new show is going to have superior effects compared to an older one. And superior effects give the impression of superior technology.

Natalie Portman is seventeen, soon to be eighteen. We discussed this fact in detail as well.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

The First One
Member # 35

I know the Clone Wars haven't happened yet - they may feature in the second film, which would dovetail nicely with Kenobi's assertion that Anakin was a young pilot who fought in them. What I'm saying is, we have no evidence that the Jedi won, or even who they were fighting apart from they had a lot of troops who all looked the same!
Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First one:

Very Slight spoilers for Episode II.
Evidence seems to suggest the Jedi fight the Mandalore in the clone wars. The Mandalore are the same people who made the armor Boba Fett wears in the movies. It further seems that the Mandalore warriors who wear the armor are the clones. Boba Fett's being in Episode II seem to work toward confirming this rumor, but it is not even remotely known as to whether Fett is a clone or whether he just obtained the armor.

On a slight tangent, the Clone Wars could totally kick. The Jedi action scenes in Episode II (think Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon spinning around several times--Qui-Gon deflecting two blaster bolts, Obi-Wan cutting through two battle droids) look awesome--they blow away the fight scenes in any previous movie. Episode II could give us several Jedi doing what Jedi were meant to do against incredible droves of Mandalore clone warriors (Though I would prefer Jedi vs. Sith--lightsaber combat a la epic proportions). I'm not a slave to action over story, character building, etc. but that would be quite an eye feast (Maybe they'll give us lightsabers in colors other than green, blue, and red).

IP: Logged
The First One
Member # 35

Hmm. Like, say, the Jedi master Li-Ber Achay, with his pink blade? 8)

------------------
"Some day this war's gonna end. . ."

- Lt. Col. Kilgore

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Spoiler i guess, even thought my expertise is in the area of Trek spoilers

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
OK, I heard that Darth Maul is a puppet of the Emperor or Senetor Palantine... and that Boba Fett was also (in relation to the eps IV V and VI another Puppet of the Emperor)

also that in Ep I its not the empire - its the Trade federation.

also that was Natile portman playing her twin Sister - what is it with Star Wars - a lot of in vitro fertilisation!?!

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

The First One
Member # 35

Okay, so she doesn't look like a Geisha for the whole film. . . in fact, she's a babe. 8)

Notice art-deco retro-style gun.

------------------
Space Corps Directive #723: Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute!!!!

If Anakin had children by the SW1 princess, he would have known Leia was his daughter, because she Leia is the new princess!!

------------------
"The best way to hide something, is in plain sight."

- Eddington, Deep Space 9

"Simple logic."

- Kirk, Star Trek 4

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Different planet, Altair.

------------------
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps