Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Balance in the Force (Spoiler)

Author Topic: Balance in the Force (Spoiler)
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the French magazine Studio, Mr. Lucas said that Anakin Skywalker brings balance to the force when he kills his master, Emperor Palpitine (I hope I spelled the name right). So in the Phantom Menace, we begin seeing the two balances being created-the Senator Palpitine (Darth Sidious), bad balance and Anakin Skywalker, good balance. Somewhere between the first and the fourth movie, the good side of the force becomes corrupted and Luke Skywalker is the element that purges the good side of corruption. (According to the article in Studio, Mr. Lucas says that Anakin Skywalker is purged by the morality of his son.)
IP: Logged
Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read the article but it certainly makes sense to me. Palpatine obviously offsets the balance of the Force with the Sith, and Vader is incredibly powerful. He eventually allows himself to be persuaded back from the Dark Side by Luke and kills the Emperor, and dies himself. To my knowledge, that was the end of the Sith at that point in time, hence the balance.

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I really haven't liked this balance thing so far in regards to Anakin. To me, from a literary standpoint, Luke would be the better candidate to bring balance after he switches back and forth in Dark Empire Rising (not sure that's the correct title, but I think someone must know which one I'm talking about). I know that's not what he intended, but as far as I can tell, that's the message coming across in his work when viewed critically (although, to his credit, we haven't seen 2 and 3, so we don't have the full story). I can already see the veins throbbing, but remember, Lucas approves everything in the novels set after the films, so it's not apocryphal.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark Empire is the comic you're looking for. Dark Force Rising is a Zahn novel.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that the Emperor and Vader purge the Galaxy of many many Jedi.

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is NOT my theory. THIS IS GEORGE LUCAS' THEORY ABOUT THE BALANCE IN THE FORCE. Many of you are arguing against the creator of Star Wars. This is not a path I wish to tread on.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently a lot of people disagree with Lucas.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Thanks for the clarification! Very appreciated.

Trinculo: Yeah, it's dangerous to criticize something before it's even done, especially someone with as much vision as Lucas. My only point is to remind us to be critical viewers and not take whatever he churns out as the benchmark of what every film epic is going to have to surpass if it's going to get the distiniction of being the greatest movie arc ever. Time will tell...

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a second...

quote:
Always two there are...a master, and an apprentice.

Who does that leave after Anakin and Palpatine are dead?

------------------
Maybe common sense isn't so common...

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have I stumped everyone? *LOL* Does ANYONE have any ideas?

------------------
Maybe common sense isn't so common...

David Sands
Member # 132

Well, in the novels and comics after ROTJ, Palpatine is re-manifested into clones. But I guess that still doesn't really answer the question. I guess that would wipe out the existing Sith, though it could almost certainly be relearned by someone seeking its knowledge. I seem to remeber a detailed summary of how a group of bored royals thousands of years before the movies tried getting in touch with dark power, and they stumbled upon the dark side (it may have in the back of Dark Empire). If they could do it, it could still be possible to reinvigorate the Sith without existing members.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.