Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » filming in Tunisia begins

Author Topic: filming in Tunisia begins
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
old news to some, perhaps, new news to others:

U.S. director Lucas back in Tunisia for Star Wars

Updated 11:30 AM ET June 2, 2000
TUNIS (Reuters) - U.S. director George Lucas is returning to Tatouine in the Tunisian desert, scene of some of the most celebrated scenes in his Star Wars movies, to shoot part of the latest episode.

After preliminary preparations in August, Lucas is expected to start filming "Star Wars II" -- the fifth Star Wars movie but the second in the plot's chronological sequence -- by October or early November, Tunisian officials said Friday.

Lucas's fascination for the sand dunes, dry river beds and red-walled Ksours or desert palaces of the Sahara first brought him to Tatouine in 1977, some 300 miles south of Tunis, for his first Star Wars movie.

The area, immortalized in the latest "prequel," The Phantom Menace, as the arid planet Tatooine, has become one of Tunisia's leading attractions for tourists who can even go on "Star Wars safaris."

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Immortalized by TPM? Uh... Are we forgetting the original movie? I seem to recall some mention of Tatooine in that, too... *rolls eyes*

And, yes, I know they went there in RotJ, too, but ANH was earlier, so it makes more sense to mention it. :-)

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the desert scenes in Jedi filmed in California?

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I assumed it was Tunisia, since that was where the original ones were done...

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tunisa is where Tatooine was shot, or at least parts of it. I can't recall if some or any of the SW scenes were done in Cali.

------------------
Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no, the first one was filmed in Tunisia (Which is a lot of fun to say.), but I believe Return of the Jedi filmed its desert scenes in California to cut costs.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were some scenes from the first part of Tatooine we see in ANH that were shot in California... Artoo's Arroyo, as its called, before he gets captured by the Jawas was filmed in a section of Death Valley called 'Artist's Palette.'

Does anyone else read 'Star Wars Insider' ?

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of the ROTJ scenes were filmed in Yuma Arizona.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps