Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to General Sci-Fi.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Most ships on screen at one time?

Author Topic: Most ships on screen at one time?
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was posted at the Slipstreambbs. Got me to wondering the same thing. Anyone know?

quote:

Hi everyone, I was curious and wanted to see if anyone had the information, Return of the Jedi set the record for most ships on screen in a sci-fi film according to what I heard so could someone confirm this and tell me how many ships it was and if possible provide a type breakdown?

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did 'Parallels' or any of the Dominion War eps break this? Im sure some newer films might have trancended this record over RotJ by now...
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

did 'Parallels' or any of the Dominion War eps break this?

That's what I'm thinking. I'll bet someone here knows for sure, I would even go as far as laying money that Frank knows.

[Cool]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They better have...considering they already broke it in 1995. You can probably get more details by seraching for the ful title rather than just "rotj"

JMSnews

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were I to make a guess, there are several candidates for the first Trek ep with the most ships -- "Call to Arms" being the one that sticks in my mind. You could also consider "By Inferno's Light" (the Jem'Hadar fleet) and "Parallels." And certainly the edge-to-edge masses of starships in "Sacrifice of Angels" would have totally shattered any of those records.

Although I'd wager that some of the B5 eps had more ships overall in a few scenes, like Sheridan's fleet that took on the Shadows and Vorlons, or else the fleet that attacked Mars and Earth.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

According to what I'm seeing at Slipstream, Babylon-5 has the record, with 200 Vorlon ships in one scene in "The Gathering".

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on size restrictions, I think there were more than 200 ships in the Battle of the Line sequence in "In the Beginning".

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the question "on film" - I'm guessing - in a movie. And you have to hand it to RotJ - all of that was done by Motion Control Photograpy... and after reading things like the Making of DS9 book - and the number of PASSES they have to do for each shot - it is quite a feat - how many ships did they have at once during RotJ. Some of these shows like SoA and some of the B5 episodes of course use the computer imaging... point, click, copy. That is one thing I don't like seeing with the CGI - multiple ships, but they are all the same. They don't have their own hull 'defects', or like some of the pictures in the First Ships of the Line calendar, both ships have the same windows 'lit' and even the glow from the nacelles eminates EXACTLY the same.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I saw a link yesterday where JMS is remembering the record being set during "The Gathering".

I remember the shot from "In The Begining", and that may be so.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't JMS say something about "Shadowdancing" also make a record?

I must say that is a beautiful looking episode.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beginning sure packed the screen full. It looked like every gap was filled. I don't think it gets any more dense than that.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be getting less and less related to Trek...

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps