Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » building a starship....

Author Topic: building a starship....
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long does it take, how many per year...etc...
Using a rough equation, based on the info on the from the E-D TM (shoot me later) on it's size, I have come up with the following.
The E-D was built, along with the Galaxy and Yamato in a 13 year time span, with the above 2 completed before the E-D. 3 ships, big 'uns at that, built in 13 years, probably at a slow new design pace. At this same no rush pace I figured that, barring any major shortages/incidents, that the below numbers of ships can be built, per year, if they used the same crews and facilities as the Galaxy Class.
My next question is, what screen evidence has there been showing UP and other yards sizes? The one screen cap of UP loks to only show half of the yard.
((The A B note is because of size differences given by various enthusaists, so I used both.))

Class Number Per Year Length meters
Galaxy 0.23 642
Akira A 1.68 340
Akira B 0.77 440
Centaur 0.97 382
Defiant A 39.14 120
Defiant B 13.71 170
Intrepid 3.22 344
Nebula 0.52 440
Norway A 2.35 355
Norway B 2.18 365
Nova A 29.58 160
Nova B 26.94 165
Oberth A 38.16 120
Oberth B 16.33 159
Olympic 4.54 239
Prometheus 3.95 365
Saber 2.18 365
Sovereign 0.62 685
Steamrunner A 1.83 355
Steamrunner B 3.02 300
Yeager A 3.67 330
Yeager B 2.02 402

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited February 05, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiants should be all well and standardized by now. They should be able to crank them out lovely fast!

*imagines whitestar fleet with Defiants* Mmmmm....

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I said it was rough.....

------------------

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kind of look at the starship design/construction process as being somewhat similar to the car design/process.

A prototype car may take a long time to produce, even to build, especially if you're building an entirely new "class" of car, and incorporating new technologies.

But once you're tooled up with a working model, mass-production becomes quite a bit faster, no?

Then again, maybe we should look at it from a modern Navy standpoint. Anybody know how much 'class ship' construction time differs from 'production line' model construction time in the US Navy? (And of course, this wouldn't take into account the use of industrial replicators and other advanced tech that could speed construction.

(Because basically I think we need to reconcile the fleet size estimates we've seen onscreen with the production times, and I don't know if we can do that with a slow rate of construction and only a few major starship construction areas like Utopia.)

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there are quite a few contractors out there capable of building massive ships. Not to mention, if you're building fifteen Mirandas a year, and you've been doing that since Star Trek II or before, you'd have ... what, over fifteen hundred Mirandas? Gotta keep in mind starship operational lifetimes when you're trying to figure out Starfleet's production capabilities. Presumably, the Galaxy-Class has been produced since the first season of TNG ... that's what, fourteen years ago?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Using the Polmar's 14th edition of "The Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Navy" I have found that:
Type Years to Launch Years to Commission
Cruisers 1.52 3.04
Nuc Cruisers 2.21 3.81
Battleships 2.58 3.00
Aircraft Carrier 2.47 3.56
Nuc Carriers 3.38 5.08

All types averaged about the same, from WW2 onwards.

So, after First's suggestion, I'd have to equate the ships to this scale. So a Galaxy would, it would seem to me, take about 5 years from laying the frame to commissioning. Construction methods have kept on par with the complexity of ships since WW2, so the same should hold true to starships.

Any other suggestions??

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps