Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Well, I've finally found it (Pt. 2) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Well, I've finally found it (Pt. 2)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the original post no longer seems to exist, I've made a new one. But it's the same topic, the one you've all been waiting for...yes, it's humongous, it's stupendous, it's.......

****the reply from Robert Legato!!!!!****

Yes, after three months, I finally received a reply from him about the discarded Wolf 359 battle scene from "Emissary," specifically in reference to the Gage. To paraphrase his reply:

He seems to remember that the Gage was a reuse of the wrecked version of the Reliant from STII, with some modifications, (i.e. different engines), or a ship based on the Reliant design with different engines (perhaps a sister ship to the Saratoga). Just as when Okuda stated when the DS9 Companion came out that there weren't any new models built, Legato and/or his staff apparently just recycled old models, such as the wrecked Reliant, the Nebula Melbourne, and perhaps the Kyushu (since CaptainMike's photo showed tha the model still existed to be used for VFX test shots of DS9).

As for the scene itself, apparently the story behind it was that the original shot was much faster-paced than the later bridge scenes made it out to be (although I thought the version shown was quite fast-paced myself...). Ships must have been flying past the camera at breakneck speed, because TPTB decided that it was too fast and asked Legato to remove the other ships and fast whip pans and the like.

That's all he remembers. And frow the way he was talking, I don't think he even had access to the footage himself, so unless someone else does, I don't think we'll be seeing it on DVD. [Frown]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Gage was a reuse of the wrecked version of the Reliant from STII, with some modifications, (i.e. different engines), or a ship based on the Reliant design with different engines
Ah nuts.

Hey, at least the Rigel-Class is still a mystery and will always be since they never built it. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until we can find the footage and analyse it, I think we can still continue with the Apollo design Reverend. "If it ain't on screen it ain't canon," as I suppose they say. Also, I think many are sick of the endless Reliant modifications shortcuts. I'd be happy to disregard this vision of the Apollo altogether. No more Miranda variants, dammit!

(oh, and good work Dukhat)

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the fact that it's very likely the wrecked Reliant was not re-labeled or re-regged as "Gage NCC-11672" at all. Okuda didn't remember making labels for a ship of that name, and I think Legato's speech in the DS9 Companion about making sure the ships were labeled with the names of the BoBW ships was probably just BS. Plus, I doubt that there was any correlation in Legato's mind between the model used to represent the Gage, and the term "Apollo class," just as I'm sure there wasn't any correlation in Greg Jein's mind between his Vulcan T'Pau model and the term "Apollo class." Even if the model was given new engines as Legato suggests, I also would probably be of the thought that the Apollo class remain a conjectural design, for all of you guys to design a better ship.

[ October 22, 2002, 13:17: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reliant with different nacelles. Galaxy, probably. Maybe I don't want to see that. [Eek!]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something that someone here made awhile ago. It shows an Excelsior and a Miranda with NO nacelles. It also shows the Miranda with Yeager and Norway nacelles. This should bug Kyle a little. [Big Grin]
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/302/funnyexcel.jpg

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*deleted double post*

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, perhaps my ship geekiness bears a slightly different stripe than other people's, but why so glum? Very cool news.

Now, the next mission has to be to convince the DS9 DVD people to bust into the vaults and get this stuff.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quick question which may influence how we interpret the Mirandaness of the Apollo in the future: Was the Gage, made out of the wrecked Reliant, depicted as an active vessel, or as wrckage. I assume that it would be missing a warp nacelle per the last scenes of TWoK, and have severe roll-bar and upper hull damage. If it was shown in this regard, it would be easy to interpret its original features as being very un-Mirandalike.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we can still insist the Gage was an Apollo, with a low registry and thus probably an early design.

Which means there's nothing wrong with it being a Miranda derivative. In fact, it's a welcome addition to the family of TOS movie era ships, a case very similar to the Soyuz class.

As long as it doesn't have Galaxy type warp engines...

Timo Saloniemi

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this was made up from parts of the destroyed Reliant model used in the Mutara battle scene, then we've seen some of it in the second season TNG DVD extras. It didn't look modified to me though.

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/PDVD_110.JPG
http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/PDVD_119.JPG

Is there another model? These parts don't all look the same scale to me either.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a fair-dinkum photo that first link!?! The arm in it makes the size of the model... HUGE!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just the close-up part for the "exploding Inpulse Crystal" scene in TWOK (IMHO). [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
This is something that someone here made awhile ago. It shows an Excelsior and a Miranda with NO nacelles. It also shows the Miranda with Yeager and Norway nacelles. This should bug Kyle a little. [Big Grin]
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/302/funnyexcel.jpg

Yeah, that was me, from a thread about why they never seemed to Connie-refit-ify the old TMP-era ships.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that was fair dinkum, mate. [Wink] The body of the model which the roll bar and nacelles were connected to must have been used for the Gage, which might be why that wasn't with those parts. Maybe it's in storage somewhere else?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps