Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SotL 2003 Calendar is out! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: SotL 2003 Calendar is out!
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
quote:
Originally posted by LET CAPTAIN = MIKE THEN GOTO 10:
hey im looking at mine right now.. too bad he forgot to include lotsa empty uniforms on the Exeter bridge. oh well, no biggie.

[Confused]

There's no scene with the Exeter in the calendar...

He must be talking about 2002's calendar, the November picture is of the misty bridge of the USS Exeter.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
Oh yes there is. It's the picture of the month between March and April... [Razz]

Heh heh, Lousy Smarch weather!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
In the Veridian scene, what is that rather large shuttle? It looks like a City of New Orleans runabout, almost. It's the one right next to the word "July".

The Farragut rescue shuttles are similar (same?) as the Star Trek VI shuttle that delivers Kirk & co. to Enterprise. It's like the Jenolen without the warp engines. I was surprised that the Farragut's registry was on the side...hadn't noticed that before...

Oops, I was lookin' at the big blue things. The one near "July" is just the @ss end of a type 7 shuttle.

[ November 15, 2002, 08:41: Message edited by: SoundEffect ]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SM: This is Mojo's calendar through and through. Flare people's comments did assist in the creation of this calendar... Can we get a listing of what each month is?

Mark <--hasn't seen all of '03, but LOVES '02

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January-
Enterprise Shuttlepod 1 leaving the P'Jem Monastery.

February-
Klingon Bird of Prey gliding under the Golden Gate Bridge.

March-
The T'Plana 'Hath and 3 MOV Vulcan Shuttles lifting off from ShirKahr City on Vulcan.

April-
NX-01 in Earth orbit. Shot is looking forward from the back of the starboard nacelle.

May-
Miranda Class USS Leonov with nacelles venting plasma crashing through the atmosphere of a moon of a gas giant, while dozens of Defiant-type escape pods float to the surface.

June-
Several Species 8472 bioships travel through Fluidic Space.

Centerfold-
An upside down shot of the Enterprise-E with Picard, Worf, and Hawke strolling towards the deflector.

July-
Farragut and Enterprise-D shuttles along with several survivors on the crashed saucer on Veridian III.

August-
Aft view of the USS Defiant being fired upon by a Jem'Hadar Fighter in the atmosphere of a gas giant planet.

September-
Enterprise shuttlecraft NCC-1701/6 with Matt Decker on board flies into the maw of the Doomsday Machine.

October-
Two Borg cubes flying low over a charred forest after assimilating the native culture.

November-
USS Voyager on a flyby of Los Angeles in 1996.

December-
'Wing Cam' photograph from Capt Christopher's Fighter showing the USS Enterprise within Earth's atmosphere.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what was the name of 1701 shuttle 6?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna need some scans...
[Smile]

pretty please

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gang

I'm glad to see the calendar is finally making it's way out there! I love reading the comments and thought I'd chime in and explain what led to the images...

First of all, the unoffical theme of the calendar was 'environmental.' I noticed that people seemed to react best to the previous images that featured a ship in some form of unique setting, not just space (the snow crash and inside-nebula shot of the 2001 edition being prime examples). So, I thought I would come up with environments for each month of the 2003 calendar.

I started with a list of my favorite scenes from the shows and movies that reflected this, and then moved on to new ideas:

COVER: Since "Nemesis" will be in theaters soon, we all thought it would be a good idea to feature the E on the cover. This is actually a model made by Dave Lombardi from Digital Muse a few years back, and he was kind enough to allow me to use it for the calendars. The background is a real photograph, color-shifted. If you look closely you'll notice it's a binary sunset. There was an alternate (very different) version of this cover from behind that I abandoned and if you're all nice I'll upload an image of it.

JANUARY: Eric Chauvin is the digital matte painter for Trek, and I wanted to showcase some of his incredible work. He graciously allowed me to use his matte painting of the Vulcan monestary, and I added the shuttlepod in the foreground taking off.

FEBRUARY: This was one of my favorite shots in all the Trek movies - the BOP sweeping under the bridge was just so cool I was itching to recreate it. After sifting through hundreds of pics of the GG Bridge, I finally came across the background you see in the image.

MARCH: Daren loves the animated series and we both agreed it would be nice to see more of Vulcan, so this image was born. Interesting to note is that the 'First Contact' Vulcan shuttle is not a new CG model - it's the 6 inch plastic model placed into a compurter generated environment. Sort of the reverse of the rest of the calendar!

APRIL: Since this is the first post-Enterprise calendar, I wanted to represent the show in more than one image. I figured showing off the model would be a good idea, since we haven't seen many new angles of it since the initial publicity renders. It really shows the amazing detail modeler Pierre Drolet put into it!

MAY: When trying to think of ships to feature that hadn't been used before, I remembered we had some great escape pods from "The Year of Hell" that deserved some screen time. I had a vision in my head of abandoning ship and touching down on a strange, new world - very much like a pulp sci-fi book cover. This is the sort of playground Steve Burg thrives in, so I asked him if he would like to contribute an image - fortunately he said yes! (Steve is a conceptual designer here in Hollywood who has helped forge the look of movies like The Abyss, Total Recall, T2, and contact. He designed all the aliens and many of the ships on B5, as well as Species 8472 and the Bioship).

JUNE: The aforementioned Bioship. Someone in this forum said they wanted to see it, so there ya go.

JULY: This is also one of my fondest 'wow look at that' moments from a Trek film, and I know *I'd* be excited to see that shot as a big fold out. It would have been a huge undertaking to re-create it as a CG image, and ultimately I decided why bother? It's perfect as-is and ILM was kind enough to send us the image.

CENTERFOLD: See above.

AUGUST: I wanted to feature Andrew's excellent new Defiant model, plus "Starship Down" was a great atmospheric moment in Star Trek. Andrew, of course, deserved the chance to do the image!

SEPTEMBER: Doug Drexler made a great TOS shuttlecraft, and I wanted to find a place for it. Originally, I had the shuttle parked next to a farm in Iowa and had a caption along the lines of "Kirk visits relatives" but it was decided that the image was too arcane and most people wouldn't get it. I was in an electronics store and saw a screen saver that looked a lot like the maw of the planet killer, and thus the idea was borne.

OCTOBER: This is actually a shot that was supposed to be in Voyager! In "Unimatrix Zero," the original script called for a scene in which a cube was hovering over a forest, searching out renegades. We were very excited about doing this, as the thought of the cube in a new environment was quite appealing. Ultimately, the shot was cut for budgetary reasons but I was never able to get the vision of it out of my head. After seeing a great shot of trees which had been decimated by acid rain in Life magazine, I knew I had my background.

NOVEMBER: From the start, I knew Voyager over LA would be one of the images. After much searching, I found the perfect shot of LA from Griffith Park, and spend a LOT of time making the Voyager's hull truly look as if it were illuminated by a late sunset.

DECEMBER: This was another one we knew we had to have. Rob Bonchune found the great shot of the F-104, and the rest was elementary.

So there you have it! All in all I am very pleased with the way it turned out and congratulate all the talented folks who pitched in. As some have noticed, my credit is missing - not by design, I assure you. This is something I am still looking into.

I'll be happy to answer any questions and answer any criticisms.

Mojo

PS: I'm tickled that the Workbee debate from the 2002 calendar still rages on. It's interesting that for every person who hates it, another has told me it's their favorite!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. It's artsy & different.

Thanks for the comments, Mojo! Everyone, let's be all nice & stuff and hope he shows us more!

And a question: Why USS Leonov?

Mark

[ November 15, 2002, 13:53: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Leonov? Why not?

Actually, Pocket Books picked that title for the caption - the ship itself is probably labeled RELIANT :-)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*plays nice so I can see some purdy pictures*

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Why Leonov? Why not?

Actually, Pocket Books picked that title for the caption - the ship itself is probably labeled RELIANT :-)

There's a reliant cgi? 8-O
Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Leonov a new ship name or have we seen it before???

Is their a readable regestery number??

IP: Logged
Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Leonov a new ship name or have we seen it before???

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a reliant cgi?

Uh, yes.

Uh, no.
"the ship itself is probably labeled RELIANT" - The person who made the calendar.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps