Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Red, White, and Blue in Baghdad?! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Red, White, and Blue in Baghdad?!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red-on-white St. George's cross + white-on-blue St. Andrew's cross + red-on-white St. Patrick's cross. He didn't say that only countries that have had revolutions have red, white, and blue.

Though, in all fairness, Britain had a revolution, even if it did only last ten years.

And, also, I'm not agreeing w/ the original statement. Mexico, for example, has a red, white, and green flag, not red, white, and blue.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay then, most countries that have had a revolution have red, white, and blue in their flag.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Though, in all fairness, Britain had a revolution, even if it did only last ten years.

Don't forget the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not sure it counts as a real revolution unless a government is overthrown, or someone at least attempts to do so.

I suppose we could include the Gunpowder Plot, which would have been something of a revolution, if Guy Fawkes and his bunch hadn't been totally ineffectual.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we get to light bonfires now. So everything worked out for the best.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and he fishes with grenades too....
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, Guy Fawkes?

quote:
Well, I'm not sure it counts as a real revolution unless a government is overthrown, or someone at least attempts to do so.

Well, it did kinda as in the system of govt was changed. And it can be argued that the American Revolution wasn't a 'proper' revolution or only a kinda half revolution (best way I could describe it).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's always confused me how the American Revolution can be a revolution, and the US Civil War can be a civil war, when there's no real difference between them, in terms of what they basically were: one part of a country fighting for secession from the rest. Unless it's because the colonies were, well, colonies, while the CSA had been actually part of the country. But it doesn't seem like a big enough difference.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A revolution is a civil war that's successful.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to cause trouble, but if an unsuccessful revolution is called a civil war, then what is the definition of a rebellion?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, then whats a coup?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seizing of a government without popular support to bolster your cause. If you have support of the populace, then it's an insurrection that can become a revolution. But if it's primarily military-based, then it's a coup.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes sense.
But then, to take a given example to an extreme, then what if the Confederates had separated and stayed a democratic state? Going by Sol System's definition an unsuccessful revolution is a civil war, then a successful one would be just a revolution? By my personal measure , a revolution has to involve a fundamental change in the way people are governed....and that still wouldn't have fit really. I guess there's "War of succession" but that always felt like an adjective rather than a classification.

Or differently, if they had taken over the Union and reinstituted a system of democracy more favourable to the south. What would that be? A coup? A revolution? Just plain messed up?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, my definition was 80% sass, by the way.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I think a revolution is usually the overthrowing of a government (or an attempt to do so). So, really, the American Revolution ought to qualify as a civil war, I think.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps