Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » dating lives of the members of Flare (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: dating lives of the members of Flare
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can safely say that after that, asking her father for permission to marry his daughter was a doddle.

Yay for the nineteenth century!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Although on one occasion I did forget my own name when asking a girl out. Which was... interesting. I'm 17 and so probably can't give any commentary on true love. Also I wouldn't want to sound soppy. It'd ruin my manly image. [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my first love in seventh grade. I gradually came to love her; it was ninth grade when I acknowledged my feelings for her to myself. We've been friends for twelve years now, and every now and then it'll feel like my love for her has subsided. Then, something happens that reminds me I am still smitten with her.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don'cha just hate those? I've got you beaten by about four years, but very similar pattern.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have relationship issues. The two guys I've dated so far are two of the most wonderful guys of my aquaintance, and I still call them close friends. I do, however, have situational issues. My last guy I dated for just under two months. In the last few weeks of that his mother found out she had cancer, and being the wonderful guy he is, he will be taking care of her and dealing with issues surrounding her illness and thus has no time to date. *sigh* In the meantime, I am investing in vibrators.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We knew we were going to get married. I wasn't that bothered, but Kate felt it was important. And I'm glad we did - it changes things in ways that are difficult to describe. It felt like the most natural thing in the world.

Anyway, yes. Asking her father. As I said, we decided we were getting married but I hadn't formally proposed yet. I was vaguely planning to ask her when we were in Venice; however, about a month prior to that we were down visiting her parents and the idea sort of evolved that I'd ask her dad for permission. I did, and formally proposed later that evening when we got home. It meant that we had time to go out and get a ring - she chose it, I'd never have got the right one; then have it sized to her finger. Then when we were in Venice, in a gondola on the Grand Canal not far from the Rialto bridge, I put it on her finger. 8)

As for wanting to find someone to love. . . Don't. I always knew that something was missing from my life. I tried looking for it. I tried replacing it, with work, drugs, meaningless gratuitous sex, and arguing on the Internet with a bunch of other misfits about politics, morality, and the length of a small starship from a TV show. Then, one day I gave up, decided I was destined to be alone. Then I went out to a works do where this PA from the Employment Law department who I didn't like very much started chatting to me. The rest is history. Or rather, chemistry, with a certain amount of biology thrown in, if you know what I mean.

OK, so I don't mean "never look for someone to love." Just, don't set too much store by it. Your lobsters are out there, and you will find them. You're meant to find them. Have faith that the universe will unfold as it should, remember that?

So, just, be patient. Watch When Harry Met Sally again to see all the many ways you could fall in love. Perhaps Liz will go in to upgrade her car's sound system, they'll have this hunky new salesman in the shop, their eyes will meet over a Bang & Olufsen subwoofer, and ZING! Or Siggy's friend could sit down one day and take stock of the men in her life and realise that there's one guy that's always been there for her. Don't undervalue friendship, it's very important in any lasting relationship. Kate's my best friend, and I'm hers.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tora Regina:
I don't have relationship issues. The two guys I've dated so far are two of the most wonderful guys of my aquaintance, and I still call them close friends. I do, however, have situational issues. My last guy I dated for just under two months. In the last few weeks of that his mother found out she had cancer, and being the wonderful guy he is, he will be taking care of her and dealing with issues surrounding her illness and thus has no time to date. *sigh* In the meantime, I am investing in vibrators.

Investing in them!?!
While not speaking from experience, I cant recall seeing them on the NASDAQ. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Lee.

--------------------
life creation in progress

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I tried replacing it, with work, drugs, meaningless gratuitous sex,

When, where, and can I have some?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on ... did Liam just say he wanted meaningless gratuitous sex with Lee?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what it sounded like to me!

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG... and to think this thread came from a suggestion after someone hijacked my own thread.

At least there was some meaningful insights about realationships and love that was between the more raunchy posts, including my own.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was wondering where Lee was getting the gratuitous sex from. I mean, if he can get it, then surely I can get twice as much. Yeah. Woo.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"She's my lobster. Everyone has one out there somewhere."

So, love is a marine crustacean?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Don't undervalue friendship, it's very important in any lasting relationship. Kate's my best friend, and I'm hers.

Shik's been telling me the same thing in our correspondence. I believe in the sentiment; every woman I've ever developed romantic feelings for has been someone I've considered a friend. A lot of my friends' relationships started as friendships. No argument from me on this.

quote:
Or Siggy's friend could sit down one day and take stock of the men in her life and realise that there's one guy that's always been there for her.
And while I appreciate the thought, it's not going to happen. She's married now and has been for two years now. She loves him truly and completely; she's the happiest that I have ever seen her. I finally got a chance to meet the lucky guy when I visited them last summer. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and his love for her is as great as hers is for him. They are very happy together and, I hope that nothing causes harm to the love they share.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shik's been telling me the same thing in our correspondence."

Um... Need I point out that Shik's current position rather suggests that he may not exactly be the top expert on matters of "true love"?

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps